Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An Abomination: Let’s desecrate a Schofield

Rudukai13

EA71FFFD-C813-445C-947D-5F264851A973.thumb.jpeg.5d02b1fbb8d95acce9a895f79f95351a.jpeg

This is my new Uberti Hardin revolver.

EA30254A-FDA1-43E1-8813-C38A56E056B3.thumb.jpeg.1c5395d6d149cb5fd3e19c35ece9fe02.jpeg

It’s a limited-edition reproduction of a 1875 Schofield No.3 top-break S&W. It’s a six-shot 45 Colt with a 7” barrel.

EBC24606-192D-4B1F-80A5-91D3C5BC1D8C.thumb.jpeg.2bdb32000dddcc67a05c496084809c14.jpeg

The frame is color case hardened while the cylinder and barrel shine in charcoal blue. The stock grips are a dark synthetic bison horn. The action is buttery smooth, the trigger is light and crisp. It is, truly, a stunningly gorgeous firearm.

B3AFD387-D199-4E0C-9D6B-7B8690FA8594.thumb.jpeg.802269b8ad4cad722ff06cfd9e600669.jpeg

Here’s the thing…I don’t really “do” iron sights anymore. I’ve fully embraced the present state of technology in the industry, and that state consists of red dot sights (RDS) and weapon mounted lights (WML) on handguns. I’ve been waiting for years for S&W, Ruger, Colt, or any of the other current revolver manufacturers to get their heads out of their asses (smoke enough crack?), wise up (dumb down?), and produce a truly modern top-break revolver, with the ability to mount modern components like a RDS and WML. Alas, they just won’t come to their senses and bring one to market.

So, I’m forced to make one of my own, which brings us to this thread. This Schofield will soon be going off to my gunsmith to get a couple sections of picatinny rail properly affixed above the cylinder and below the barrel, in front of the ejector rod housing. Once the wheelgun has some proper rails securely attached, a X300U WML will be hung under the barrel in roughly the pictured location, while a tube-style red dot will be mounted and zeroed on the top rail.

At present I’m awaiting a grip adapter piece to attempt to improve some of the atrocious ergonomics on this thing. I’ve found a source for picatinny rail sections that can be attached, but they’re currently not in stock:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/1911-tactical-light-rail-prod27001.aspx

I may wind up taking the gun to my ‘smith without any specific rail sections and asking him to supply whatever he feels is best for the application.

I’m also currently considering aftermarket grips. I’m not a great fan of the stock bison horn, and I want to replace them with either some black pearl pieces or some engraved wood for a bit of texture:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920851003

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920849114

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920848942

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations for grips, I’m open to suggestions.

Further updates will be posted as they happen, feel free to ask any questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to go with the maple floral scroll grips, ordered. That means we have optic, grips, and grip adapter currently inbound. Probably in about a week this thing will be off to the gunsmith for rail surgery, after I’ve installed the grip parts.

I think I may have accidentally addicted myself to Schofield revolvers though - there’s something viscerally satisfying about the heft and working the action on this thing, it’s become a giant fidget toy. If this all works out I think I’m going to get one of the 3.5” Hideout models and make a mini backup version:

image.jpeg.d344100c74cfc27dd394f3bce808be45.jpeg

Put some ebony engraved wood grips and grip adapter, short rail section on the top and an Aimpoint Micro-style dot and call it good…

More to come!

Sorry for a bit of delay on continued updates, stuff’s in transit but just hasn’t gotten to me yet. I did also order up a set of snap caps to keep in the revolver during my obsessive clicking and working of the action, to help protect the firing pin/frame/lock work from any unwanted damage.

I think I’ve also decided - eventually, after this build is done and when I can afford it - to also pick up a 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington clone to create a nice set of 1870s S&W, Colt, and Remington reproductions.

image.jpeg.af0b77149455b5100e5c1a7ed0a46c97.jpeg

image.jpeg.feb763ed115f2e06f6e7cc1ab008dd53.jpeg

And yes they’ll also be getting the Abomination build treatment - definitely can’t just leave them alone

I think I have decided on trying to adapt a M-Lok handguard as a barrel shroud as opposed to just using a couple separate pieces of picatinny rail tacked above and below the barrel. Something similar to this:

image.jpeg.e8a87e7db6fe366601e50cfd64afce5c.jpeg

https://www.unclefudd.com/post/space-cowboy-revolver-ready-for-action

It’ll require some trimming to fit and make sure nothing impedes the break action, but it’ll look better and be functionally stronger than just sections of rail

40 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

Hmmm...  I was thinking maybe a mini reddot on there...

This thing has a 7” barrel, there’s nothing mini about it 🤣

When I do the Colt build it’ll be with a 5” barrel and that one will get a mini dot

7F03CEAB-CDA9-4C79-AFE7-6D15955D81F7.thumb.jpeg.6d654a8168d7320fec69457892d80dbc.jpeg

New maple floral engraved grips arrived a bit earlier than expected and dropped right in. They’re gorgeous.

5FBEA382-A634-4EDE-A1CB-D16CAAD21A72.thumb.jpeg.7ce67c66a9cc3b4d865f2a87883a2541.jpeg

While I was messing with the grips anyway I did go ahead and remove the grip adapter piece. There’s no doubt the ergonomics are objectively better with it installed, but I have to admit the aesthetics are a bit better and cleaner without it - and in the case of this project, form is taking a bit of a priority over function. I’ll keep the adapter in my drawer in case I decide to put it back on but for now leaving the grip slim and svelte

82F6B690-7045-4FC1-AA55-4B194AB51FF4.thumb.jpeg.5a1fdc24c8cc879ae6d680e38b32d0ed.jpeg

Well that was a headache. I got the optic mount switched around to help move the mass of the red dot further back on the gun. It’ll help balance everything visually and physically once I’ve got a rail and X300U hanging off the barrel.

Gun goes to the gunsmith on Monday!

Alright, a little good news/bad news. The bad news is, gunsmith didn’t take possession of the gun today. I need to select and order the handguard myself.

The good news is, gunsmith knows exactly how to do the modifications, that he absolutely can do the modifications, and he’s excited for it - he even explained how it would all be reversible with the only permanent modifications being about three screw holes through the top rib of the barrel. This thing is a confirmed go 😎

I’ll be ordering the handguard tonight and once I get it in will be taking it and the gun back in to get worked up

• 2 weeks later...

Handguard has shipped! That was earlier than expected, which means the gun should be going to my gunsmith by next week!

Also, sounds like LS Grips can make the big butt style grips for the Schofield like my rough photoshop, just not until later this summer when they’ll have time. Material options would either be pearl or wood. I’m thinking either black pearl or ebony wood - either way the shape/ergonomics would be the same, no finger grooves, extra material to fill behind the trigger guard, and checkered