Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock MBX Mags

allamericanbp

I have three 170mm tubes with either a 3 or 5-inch extension that I ran last year for USPSA PCC matches.

They ran without a single misfeed or any other mag related issue.  They don't swell when fully loaded as my Glock would do.  So far there has been no wear and tear on the feed lips nor the catch slot.  No tuning required. Performance is just as advertised. 

YES, they are expensive but, I routinely would have to toss 2 Glock 33-round mags each year due to too much wear, bulging...etc.

For me it was a solid investment. 

Your mileage as they say, may vary...

OP,

Is your intent to run them in a PCC or in a Glock pistol?  Those are two different animals entirely.  The steel mag tearing up the mag catch would likely be an issue in the pistol, unless one was running a metal mag catch.  I'd also want to swap out the plastic mag catch on a PCC to an Odin Works if I were using those mags.

3 hours ago, phoenixsomd said:

I have three 170mm tubes with either a 3 or 5-inch extension that I ran last year for USPSA PCC matches.

They ran without a single misfeed or any other mag related issue.  They don't swell when fully loaded as my Glock would do.  So far there has been no wear and tear on the feed lips nor the catch slot.  No tuning required. Performance is just as advertised. 

YES, they are expensive but, I routinely would have to toss 2 Glock 33-round mags each year due to too much wear, bulging...etc.

For me it was a solid investment. 

Your mileage as they say, may vary...

3 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

OP,

Is your intent to run them in a PCC or in a Glock pistol?  Those are two different animals entirely.  The steel mag tearing up the mag catch would likely be an issue in the pistol, unless one was running a metal mag catch.  I'd also want to swap out the plastic mag catch on a PCC to an Odin Works if I were using those mags.

I am debating on making some modifications to my main match guns (G47MOS and a G19MOS) to be able to run the MBX mags. I made an investment into an STI Edge 2 years ago and it came with 10 Brand new 140mm mags, which i already have plenty of from shooting LIM Major. I was planning on listing those on here to offload them and try out some better mags. I have plenty of 17 round OEM Glock mags with extenders but was curious if it would help with reloads, etc. The plastic on plastic sticking, even when clean, seems to be becoming more frequent so i was just curious. Although it is an expensive way to "test" a theory out. But either way, thanks for all the info so far. 

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

They’re the best mags. They’re expensive. What specifically do you want to know?

Sorry i didn't tag you in the recent reply. I am looking at them for CO use in my pistols. I seem to be having more frequent issues with mags sticking when reloading. Even when the gun is clean. I was just curious if the metal mag would make a big difference. Just trying to test a theory out but it will be an expensive test i guess. 

33 minutes ago, allamericanbp said:

Sorry i didn't tag you in the recent reply. I am looking at them for CO use in my pistols. I seem to be having more frequent issues with mags sticking when reloading. Even when the gun is clean. I was just curious if the metal mag would make a big difference. Just trying to test a theory out but it will be an expensive test i guess. 

They eject much easier from the Glock frame. 

11 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

I run them nearly exclusively. 

Carry optics. PCC. Limited. 

I’ve yet to have a single magazine issue with them. 

1675AF12-1EFB-44AB-8D3B-5A2713366547.thumb.jpeg.f7c8457ca68a883a501a0b1e900a0516.jpeg

Do the 140mm, if they have the comp followers, actually hold 24 and run reliably?

Edited by Iamdat

19 minutes ago, Iamdat said:

Do the 140mm, if they have the comp followers, actually hold 24 and run reliably?

Comp follower. Will indeed fit 24 in the mag… but the stack tension is quite high. Often fails to cycle in my g34. I’m sure with some tweaks you could get it to run… 

I run them at 23+1 and they reload 100% at 23. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, Dirty_J said:

Comp follower. Will indeed fit 24 in the mag… but the stack tension is quite high. Often fails to cycle in my g34. I’m sure with some tweaks you could get it to run… 

Very good. Thanks!

On 1/21/2022 at 11:55 PM, Dirty_J said:

Awesome and thanks! Did you have to replace any parts on the GLOCK itself? Mag release, springs, etc.

28 minutes ago, allamericanbp said:

Awesome and thanks! Did you have to replace any parts on the GLOCK itself? Mag release, springs, etc.

I run the Carver custom mag button. (Oem with oversized paddle). Understanding that it will wear more quickly with a metal mag and need replacing. 

Yes they go in and out of the gun a lot easier than plastic mags. They hold 23+1. Same as a  2011 mag. I use a steel mag release. I had some Stainless and Titanium mag releases custom machines, I can’t remember the guy who made it anymore unfortunately. The custom machines ones fit much better into the Glock frame, the MBX one is cast and drags a little in the frame. I use a less powerful mag release button spring as well, can’t remember who made that either, haha sorry. Not too helpful, I guess, except to know that this stuff exists. Basically, these MBX mags are the same experience as 2011 mags. Same reliability and spring life too (which is definitely less than stock Glock springs). Hope that is helpful.

I tried them when they first came out with mixed results.  They worked great in my JP 13 and Gen 3 Glock 34, but I could not get them to feed correctly in my Gen5 Glock 34s that I was using for Carry Optics.  I tried several magazine releases and even one that Adrian at MBX modified as well and they still wouldn't work in my Gen 5 guns.  I eventually sold them to some friends for use in their PCC guns and they had no issues at all.  I was bummed they didn't work.  I have had great luck with MBX mags in numerous different 2011 style guns over the years.  I hope you have better luck than I did.

44 minutes ago, AHI said:

Any body else notice all(mose) the problems. With aftermarket enhancements. Magazines, Triggers and guide rods for example. Primarily involve the gin 5.???

No. I run a pair of G34.5’s and have had zero issues. Both have aftermarket trigger, guide rods, springs and mag catches. Both run MBX mags (and stock mags) great. 

• 1 year later...

Quick review on my experience with the MBX Glock mags.

34.3 - full switch to MBX. 

Steel mag release is a requirement. I tested the stock release just for my curiosity and the mbx mags killed it within 100 rounds. The steel rounds off the top contact area of the stock release. YMMV but I wouldn’t have made it through a match.

I had some contact on my slide release at the bottom. One or two of my mags, when seated, slightly contact the bottom part of the release, slightly engaging it at times. It wasn’t 100% an issue but the possiblity was there. I clearanced the factory release.

I went with the competition mags that do not have slide lock- but the follower would sometimes catch on the slide release preventing the mag from dropping free. It was not every mag nor every time but it was repeatable if I messed with it. I removed the tab on the mag release to bulletproof the system as a whole.

after my slight modifications, they are superior to my Glock mags with extensions in every way (other than price).