Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have 2 loaders 1050 650

I have 2 reloaders a 1050 and 650 both with bullet feeders I built myself on cnc, the 1050 is set up for 223 and the 650 for 9 and I have a .357 sig complete change over. but I rarely shoot the .357 as it's just not as comfortable as it used to be and the 223 just turned into an ar15 blaster ammo mag dump.  so, I'm thinking of just going with the 9mm and getting rid of the rest, just wondering if I should keep the 1050 and load 9 on it or keep the 650.  not sure what the advantage would be with the 1050 over the 650. 

I would keep the 1050 . Sale the 650. Don't know about were you are but 80% of the 9mm brass that I get needs to be swaged. After you sale your 650 . Buy  spare tool head. One would be set up for 9mm. You will still have the 223. That will leave you with a spare. For other calibers etc. If you do this correctly. You will still have money left over.

Edited by AHI

I sold my 650 to buy a 1050. Best purchase I’ve made. It’s the staging station and being able to seat the primers as low as I want (it can be done on the 650 but isn’t as variable). With the larger frame of the 1050 I find that my reloads are way more consistent than with the 650. 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:01 AM, jejb said:

If the 1050 has a swaging station, I'd keep it. I've been finding more and more crimped primer 9mm brass at the range the last year or so. Which is the reason I switched from a 650 to an 1100 this past summer. 

^^^ THIS ^^^  Primers are not cheap anymore.  Swaging helps prevent damaging primers when inserting them into crimped 9mm ammo.

I have a 650 and load 7 calibers on it including 223. Buy once fired 223 military brass from a supplier that has an automated primer remover- swager- compressed air. The 650 works great on the 223 cases as long as the primer pockets are swaged. Have a RT1200 to trim the cases.

I was in the same predicament like the OP after buying a Dillon 1100 in addition to my 550 and 650. I ended up selling the 650 and kept the 550 and 1100. The 550 is setup for large primers while the 1100 is setup for small primers. I also use the 1100 for processing .223 brass (including crimped military brass).

Edited by George16
Spelling

Faced with a similar decision and wanting to downsize, I chose the 650 option (though, actually a 750). I primarily load 9mm, but I do dabble in a few other calibers. And the conversion kits for the 1050 aren't cheap, if you want to have the toolhead, etc. ready to go.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, jejb said:

If the 1050 has a swaging station, I'd keep it. I've been finding more and more crimped primer 9mm brass at the range the last year or so. Which is the reason I switched from a 650 to an 1100 this past summer. 

+1 on the 1050 for swaging. I have been using a 650 for 9mm and the crimped primers have become a real hassle lately. I finally gave up and ordered a 9mm 1100 yesterday. UPS tracking shows it will be here next Wednesday.

Edited by CenTX