Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2022 fitness resolution’s

Kwontanamo

22 hours ago, Kwontanamo said:

Figured I’d start it even though we’re already 16 days into the year.

Crossfit Open is from 24FEB to 14MAR if anyone is interested. @Sarge? 😉

I've been thinking the same and need to get a training schedule together, seeing this is a good reminder.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, Kwontanamo said:

Figured I’d start it even though we’re already 16 days into the year.

Crossfit Open is from 24FEB to 14MAR if anyone is interested. @Sarge? 😉

I’m really trying my hardest hahaha. But this 0430 gym time is ROUGH! I’m not sure I’ll ever get “used” to it. 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, X5SigChris said:

I’m really trying my hardest hahaha. But this 0430 gym time is ROUGH! I’m not sure I’ll ever get “used” to it. 

I’m no early riser myself. Lately I’ve been working out at lunch but usually it’s in the evening. 

9 hours ago, Kwontanamo said:

I’m no early riser myself. Lately I’ve been working out at lunch but usually it’s in the evening. 

I do enjoy a good lunch lift. I’m currently in school right now though so eight hours a day of power point has my brain fried. Lunch is complete decompression for me now. Hopefully once we get to messier topics I can switch back to lunch time. How do we get an extra hour or two in the day?   

• 4 weeks later...

Get a trainer at a good fitness ctr to provide you with a routine to follow Mon- Fri for about an hour/day. Include some spinning or do an optional spinning class for cardio as well as strength training. Follow this and you will start shooting better if you are in much better physical shape. This will help when it gets hot in the summer- you will be able to tolerate the heat much better- do not forget to drink at least one bottle of water or gatorade? per stage to prevent dehydration. If you get dehydrated you are done the second day in a large match. Make sure you urinate during the match after drinking water/gatorade- this will give you an indication of your hydration status.

Keep a cooler in your cart with lots of water/ gatorade in it. You might want to try pedialite vs the others- you want to replace the ions when it is really hot and you are sweating a lot. Use sunscreen also. Attach an umbrella to your cart for shade if none is available- sit on your collapasable chair in the shade.

Edited by verla
additional infro

• 1 month later...

I stopped running a few years ago and stick with swimming and elliptical sprinting to not pound my knees into dust.  I do this first thing in the morning 5x and do weights around lunchtime 4x a week.  

Edited by 18111811

On 1/19/2022 at 5:17 AM, X5SigChris said:

X5:

I got used to it in the Army and although retired for over twenty years now, am up by 0430 and am training by 0600.  I will do some sort of exercise five to six days a week.  Lift three mornings a week, boxing training two mornings a week, and nordic ski or cycle (seasonal) three or four times a week in the late morning or early afternoon.

I have my own 'underground' gym that probably looks more like a X Fit Box or a MMA / Boxing gym than a conventional gym.  Am not dependent of someone elses rules or equipment.  

There are very few people willing to put in the time and effort to improve their fitness above a baseline level.  I don't care the sport.  When you see someone who is in really good condition and is very capable at his or her sport -- they put in the sort of time and effort that make them a cut above the average 'going through the movements' Joe at a fitness center.

Put in the time but really look at what you are doing and if it is actually working for you.  Then make your own decisions.

Exercise and staying in shape will bring you benefits for your entire life and yes, will give you the tools to be better in any shooting sport.

GG66

GG66,

I think the army is what messed me up haha. 0630 PT was easy. Now I’m in school and I’m the day starts a little earlier and there’s not scheduled PT, which I’m not mad at. My gym was just a logistical nightmare. It was 20 minutes in the opposite direction of post and had no showers. So it was up early, gym, drive back home, get ready, by then the kids are waking up and I want to hang out with them and help them get ready, then head to work. Plus, if it’s nice out…. Who doesn’t want to sneak 20 minutes of fishing in if they can lol. 

Now that I’ve switched gyms, it’s a night and day difference. Not rushed to get out the door, I get better sleep, and manage to get to the gym a little later and still be able to get a better workout in. Brings back the joy and excitement of going. 

also, be glad you retired before this new ACFT hahahaha. 

best wishes 

1 hour ago, X5SigChris said:

GG66,

I think the army is what messed me up haha. 0630 PT was easy. Now I’m in school and I’m the day starts a little earlier and there’s not scheduled PT, which I’m not mad at. My gym was just a logistical nightmare. It was 20 minutes in the opposite direction of post and had no showers. So it was up early, gym, drive back home, get ready, by then the kids are waking up and I want to hang out with them and help them get ready, then head to work. Plus, if it’s nice out…. Who doesn’t want to sneak 20 minutes of fishing in if they can lol. 

Now that I’ve switched gyms, it’s a night and day difference. Not rushed to get out the door, I get better sleep, and manage to get to the gym a little later and still be able to get a better workout in. Brings back the joy and excitement of going. 

also, be glad you retired before this new ACFT hahahaha. 

best wishes 

X5:

I was in Group most of my career and take my word for it, for the most part we did some pretty serious PT every morning.  Unlike a conventional unit, we did PT to get in shape and it was encouraged by the chain of command.  Another PT session in the afternoon was encouraged in SF at the time.  I imagine the same now.   Problem was that afternoons in a Army gym means waiting for equipment to open up.  Not ideal and wasted time.

Sounds like you found the right gym and in the right location.  Be thankful for that!  

ACFT -- may be better than sit up, push up, two mile run but without enough gear it must be hard to train for it and must take a long time for a unit of any size to complete. I started out with the eight event one, then five, then three, and in Group we added road marches and swim tests.  BTW -- the absolute worse injury I ever sustained while lifting was when I lost focus deadlifting a good amount of weight many years ago.  I can imagine the injuries from people who didn't train to deadlift and went for it on that PT test. 

I won't preach any sort of exercise or routine.  About the only thing I can tell folks is for them to have a quantifiable and achievable goal for their physical training and attain that goal.  By then they will have another goal so go for that one.   It becomes a way of life and that is a good one!

"Row well and live!"

GG

So I’ll say this, the ACFT is much more fun. And I mean that. The three event was dreadful. Hands down, if you’re in a good unit then the positive encouragement alone will boost your confidence into a few extra points. Everyone is cheering and motivating one another. But you’re right, setting it up is a pain. We got a unit completed in under an hour but that was only 40ish people and that’s just the six events.

the politics surrounding the ACFT is what hurts it. Just like anything, money and numbers is driving it and we are on a road to waste a lot of money. How I feel about it is not relevant nor is this the place to air out the laundry, but I’m glad there is a set standard now and people can get to gettin. It’s been too long for the roll out of it. I hope we stick to what’s written in doctrine this time and just get it going. 

and I’m super thankful for the gym I found. Oddly enough, it’s a hospital wellness center. But they have tons of equipment and space. Plus the crowd that’s there when I go are from an older community so we generally aren’t using the same equipment. Haven’t had to wait for anything to open up yet. 

when it comes to the deadlift, I foresee one of three things happening. You’ll have the group that trains it well and succeed in it. Then you have the ones that don’t and they run the risk of getting hurt. Lastly, you have the group that’ll leave points on the table to avoid injury. Either way, it’s going to have growing pains. I’ve always belted for anything above 315. It’s just part of my mental game. Training my core, breathing, and form has been critical to ensuring I can max it out and SAFELY. 

It took a long time for me to find something that clicked for me in all the right ways to stay consistent. I think part of that difficulty, much like USPSA, is that you don't know what you don't know, and things can be intimidating.

For me, I ended up getting a squat rack for my basement and the book Starting Strength, and I've really fell in love with heavy lifting. For cardio I got a punching bag, and between the two, I almost never feel like not working out. Finding things that I enjoyed doing was the key. Hard to be consistent when you're forcing yourself through something you hate doing.

In 2021 I gained 30 lbs, and in 2022 I'm going for another 20 lbs.

IMO the squat is huge for our sport.  Nothing beats the explosive power from squatting and being able to get up from a low port is a plus!  Not to mention it keeps the knees and low back injury free (obviously if done properly)

The advent of skinny jeans however was a total nightmare.  Deadlifting was good and I managed to move decent weight but my lower back and neck got all out of proportion.  Buying dress shirts with a 17.5" neck while only 5'7" is a like buying skirts.

I've been lifting for 29 years.  Firstly to help with my dating life and then vanity as I like looking good.   I'm still vain as **** but if i stop for any longer than 2 weeks I start to feel 50 so I keep lifting to keep the machine running properly.

20 hours ago, SweetToof said:

It took a long time for me to find something that clicked for me in all the right ways to stay consistent. I think part of that difficulty, much like USPSA, is that you don't know what you don't know, and things can be intimidating.

For me, I ended up getting a squat rack for my basement and the book Starting Strength, and I've really fell in love with heavy lifting. For cardio I got a punching bag, and between the two, I almost never feel like not working out. Finding things that I enjoyed doing was the key. Hard to be consistent when you're forcing yourself through something you hate doing.

In 2021 I gained 30 lbs, and in 2022 I'm going for another 20 lbs.

ST:

Looked at the SS program.   Is it a couple of warm up sets then sets of three at a high percent of one rep max?  I have done so many different combinations of things over the years that one seems to blend into the next.  Liked Bill Starr's 5 X 5's and used Rippetoe's intermediate 5 X 5 for a long time.  No doubt about it, a guy will get stronger if he does them right.  Have also found that periodized training is a real good idea when hitting near max weights as a norm.  It really does avoid overuse injuries and allows the muscles a chance to recover fully before ramping up again. 

BTW -- if you are hitting a heavy bag, do yourself a favor and drop the money on a very, very, good set of bag gloves.  Also, like weightlifting, learn how to punch with good form and you will get a great work out without hand and wrist injuries.  

GG

2 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

ST:

Looked at the SS program.   Is it a couple of warm up sets then sets of three at a high percent of one rep max?  I have done so many different combinations of things over the years that one seems to blend into the next.  Liked Bill Starr's 5 X 5's and used Rippetoe's intermediate 5 X 5 for a long time.  No doubt about it, a guy will get stronger if he does them right.  Have also found that periodized training is a real good idea when hitting near max weights as a norm.  It really does avoid overuse injuries and allows the muscles a chance to recover fully before ramping up again. 

BTW -- if you are hitting a heavy bag, do yourself a favor and drop the money on a very, very, good set of bag gloves.  Also, like weightlifting, learn how to punch with good form and you will get a great work out without hand and wrist injuries.  

GG

Yeah SS is warmup sets, then 5x3 for squat, bench, and overhead press and 5x1 for deadlifts with a linear progression. I think I'm going to try switching things up this year now that I've got through the newbie gains phase. In SS you lift your max weight for 5x3, and then do the same thing next training session + 5lbs, so it's great when you're new but once you are actually pushing your limits it's a bit too hard on the body since everyday you lift your max weight. Definitely not a periodization program. 

On boxing, I've got a friend who's helped me along with the heavy bag and how to avoid injuries. 

16 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Anyone here doing ATG program aka. KneesOverToesGuy?

I am recovering from a fully torn ACL in June 2021, no surgery...back to doing Muay Thai and JiuJitsu 5 days a week.

I haven't tried the ATG but I did start doing more single leg bodyweight squats. I've never had knee problems so trying to stay ahead of that at 32 years old. 

19 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

IMO the squat is huge for our sport.  Nothing beats the explosive power from squatting and being able to get up from a low port is a plus!  Not to mention it keeps the knees and low back injury free (obviously if done properly)

The advent of skinny jeans however was a total nightmare.  Deadlifting was good and I managed to move decent weight but my lower back and neck got all out of proportion.  Buying dress shirts with a 17.5" neck while only 5'7" is a like buying skirts.

I've been lifting for 29 years.  Firstly to help with my dating life and then vanity as I like looking good.   I'm still vain as **** but if i stop for any longer than 2 weeks I start to feel 50 so I keep lifting to keep the machine running properly.

I really like squats and deads. Definitely helps getting out of low ports and exploding out of positions. I think another reason people in our sport should be squatting is to avoid injuries associated with slip-and-falls. Strong joints and tendons will save you, and I think that's one thing low-weight-high-rep workouts don't fulfill. 

29 years at it rules btw. 

2 minutes ago, SweetToof said:

Yeah SS is warmup sets, then 5x3 for squat, bench, and overhead press and 5x1 for deadlifts with a linear progression. I think I'm going to try switching things up this year now that I've got through the newbie gains phase. In SS you lift your max weight for 5x3, and then do the same thing next training session + 5lbs, so it's great when you're new but once you are actually pushing your limits it's a bit too hard on the body since everyday you lift your max weight. Definitely not a periodization program. 

On boxing, I've got a friend who's helped me along with the heavy bag and how to avoid injuries. 

ST:

That is a pretty demanding program.  I have done them and pushing max every single work out, even if every other day, requires a gigantic amount of focus and effort.  And rest / recovery.  No wonder you gained that much weight.  Yes, the problem with those programs is you hit sticking points and if you push too hard to get over a sticking point, you risk injury.  May want to take a look at Madcow (Rippetoe) 5 X 5 Intermediate.  Allows for sticking points and allows for recovery. 

GG  

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

ST:

That is a pretty demanding program.  I have done them and pushing max every single work out, even if every other day, requires a gigantic amount of focus and effort.  And rest / recovery.  No wonder you gained that much weight.  Yes, the problem with those programs is you hit sticking points and if you push too hard to get over a sticking point, you risk injury.  May want to take a look at Madcow (Rippetoe) 5 X 5 Intermediate.  Allows for sticking points and allows for recovery. 

GG  

Thanks I'll check that out. 

I read SS a while back and, like many others, got me into heavy lifting. Along with many others, I fell into the “jumping to quick” trend and always trained heavy. Never did a reload or took recovery into planning. After a many years and a few injuries, I’ve smartened up. 

I go through phases of what’s my favorite between squats and deadlifts. Squats have been my main squeeze lately as they have fallen off the face of the earth. But I’ve tried the 5x5 method, 5/3/1, and even Smolov. My focus lately has been my explosive power and flexibility to get me in and out of positions. 

12 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I read SS a while back and, like many others, got me into heavy lifting. Along with many others, I fell into the “jumping to quick” trend and always trained heavy. Never did a reload or took recovery into planning. After a many years and a few injuries, I’ve smartened up. 

I go through phases of what’s my favorite between squats and deadlifts. Squats have been my main squeeze lately as they have fallen off the face of the earth. But I’ve tried the 5x5 method, 5/3/1, and even Smolov. My focus lately has been my explosive power and flexibility to get me in and out of positions. 

X5S:

My opinion only.    

Most sports follow a periodized schedule throughout their season.  They start out emphasizing strength training and shift to sport specific skills.  I would think that for action shooting sports, starting out with strength training then shifting into agility, plyometrics, and precise but fast movements would be a good program to follow.  All sports continue to use weights throughout their season, just shift emphasis.

I would think plyo and agility would be more sport specific than squats or deads.  Thusters and power cleans too. 

GG

Edited by gargoil66

GG,

I can see your logic there. I wish I could say I have specific seasons where I’m focusing on strength followed by endurance or something, but I don’t. It’s more of strength followed by “oh crap, when did I start slacking off”. Lol. I need another deployment in my life to fix all the down time lol 

I am lazy in that I don't do cardio.  Have not done anything in decades.  Other than the hill sprints just across the street but those hurt for weeks afterward so I stopped that.  I did somewhat warm up on those.  But I'm built for strength so I accept that lol.

I've been injured on and off mostly when I was younger.  I think it's because I'm now engaging the "core" (not a big fan of that faddish term).  Whenever I do a lift I try to do it on one leg, one arm shoulder press alternate leg off the ground etc.  Dumbell bench press feet off the floor.  That kind of thing.  I think it helps with injury prevention. Going on 50 and hit some PR's last year.

All that balance work is great for  stages where the last targets are beside the wall and you've got the lean over the fault line.  I come in hot and fall out while  letting rip.  Looks great on video and I'm getting my A's.  Sometimes the RO's bitch but I've got great balance from the circus tricks one leg stuff.  I do need to work on incorporating the drop step this year.