Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealer or direct

Getting close to getting a Dillon press. Since I primarily shoot short colt and therefore need a combination of 9 and .38 conversion kits, I’m going to need to order. Other than trying to save the $40 in shipping, is there an advantage either way to ordering directly from Dillon or ordering it through a dealer? Northwest Oregon/ Southwest Washington folks, any stocking dealers in our hood?

10 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Shouldn't be any different.  The carbide dies have a long lead time.

No worries there. I’m upgrading from an old RCBS I bought second-hand. Already set for dies etc.

When I got my 650, I bought it through a local dealer, and he knocked off like 10% of so. Kind of surprised me when he did that, but I didn't argue about it either. 😉 I approached him when I bought my 1100 this past summer, but he said Dillon stuff was too hard to get at that point in time and he did not want to place an order for me. I knew I was not likely to get a deal, given the backorder on Dillon presses, but I thought I'd throw them some business. No joy, though. 

But to answer your question more directly, if you can save a little money one way or the other, go that way. If prices are the same, it would make no difference. 

Dealers caught discounting Dillon Products may well not get their next order filled.  With the increase in demand for RL1100 and RL1050 Dillon cut the percentage that Dillon discounts to it's dealers.  And, for a matter that many do not understand.

Dealers pay the shipping from Dillon

Dealer pricing is not all that generous as some seem to think

Then  factor in 3% or so credit card fees, the margin is slim.

Dealer would be cutting his own throat to discount.

44 minutes ago, N7VY said:

I buy local as much as I can, so I go to the Dillons store in Scottsdale, Arizona 🥸. They are great folks there and always answer my questions. 

I must say, I made a stop there a few years back when I visited Phoenix and was very disappointed. It was something I had dreamed of for decades and turned out to be a very tiny store and not one person offered help. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Sarge said:

I must say, I made a stop there a few years back when I visited Phoenix and was very disappointed. It was something I had dreamed of for decades and turned out to be a very tiny store and not one person offered help. 

I had the same experience, disappointed.  It was nice to work the handle on a 1050 and RL1100 though.  I don’t often see one of those in person.  I’d rather buy from Scheels now, free shipping.

• 2 weeks later...