Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VP-9 questions

jmac2112

I've been shooting a Shadow 2 in CO for the past year, but over the winter I've been toying with the idea of switching to my P-10F.  The thing that's really holding me back is the main thing I don't like about most polymer guns, namely the fact that you can't play around with grip panels to make them fit your hands.  I really like the idea of the VP-9 grip system, but seems like there aren't any gun stores where I live that stock them regularly, so trying one out is going to be a challenge.  I have medium-large hands, so it's not like most grips are "too large" or "too small" per se, it's just that having some width to the grip makes it easier to maintain contact with my palm.

My grip question:  Has anyone else been on the same quest, and is the VP-9 the answer to your prayers?  

My division question:  If anyone is shooting a VP-9 in CO, I'd love to know which version, as well as other details of your setup (mag extensions, optic plates/optic, etc.).

A third question: I've been shooting Blue Bullets in my CZs and I really like them.  Has anyone had any trouble shooting Blue Bullets (or other coated bullets) through the VP-9 polygonal barrel?

Thanks!

John

I wouldn’t say the VP9 has been the answer to my prayers, but the ability to adjust the grip size to the extent you are able to is very nice. My hands are on the larger side and I have been able to configure the grip so it is comfortably sized for me. 

I have a VP9L I’m thinking about setting up for CO, but I haven’t started down that path yet, so I can’t really provide much in the way of info. When I do wander down that path I’ll run either an SRO or maybe a 6 moa DPP on top of a CHPWS plate, and Springer Precision extended base pads.

Blue Bullets 135s shoot great out of my VP9L. No issues.

Thanks for the reply!  I have CHPWS plates on my guns and I like them a lot, so it's good know they offer one for the VP9.  As for Blue Bullets, I like the fact that the coating is very tough.  I have heard of problems shooting coated bullets through polygonal barrels, but maybe that only happens with thinner coatings.

How do you like the trigger?  Is it good enough as is, or is it worth upgrading?

You’re welcome. I actually went and shot some today so I was going to add a little bit. The one thing I was going to add was regarding the grip. Even though it is textured some, its still kind of slick. I shot some factory 147 ammo through it and it wanted to squirm around in my hand a little. Some Pro Grip proved to be a good remedy, but I think the grip would benefit from a silicone carbide treatment, or maybe some grip tape. That said, I ordered some Talon Grip and I’ll see how that works. 

I actually like the trigger out of the box, and think its workable for practical shooting purposes. There is more potential in the pistol though, and some trigger work might be the thing to help wring it out. 

I don’t know if it matters to you, but one thing I do hope for is some after market options for iron sights. The front sight isn’t a problem, but the rear sight options aren’t great just the moment.

With my steel guns I do silicon carbide on just the left (support hand) grip panel, and with my P-10F I put silicon carbide on the left side of the backstrap.  I've always hesitated to put SC on the P-10 grip, since there's no going back, so I use grip tape instead.  I like the fact that the VP9 gives you the option to put SC on the side pieces without committing to it forever.  

My aging eyes don't get along with iron sights very well, but it's always good to have choices!  The fact that the Shadow 2 and X-Five Legion are so popular right now means that most other guns are a bit behind in the aftermarket department, or at least that's the way it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Helped a friend sight in his new VP9L optic ready with a delta point 6 moa today. I shoot a legion in CO currently, but I would not mind picking up a HK after shooting one today. My 125 grain gallant load for my Legion shot  1" at 15 yards off hand, better than the legion. Trigger was in my opinion better, crisp break and not  mushy like the Sig, and recoil felt good, although all we did was shoot groups, no speed drills. He had some 135 grain blue bullet loads it didn't want to run with, but I think  the load was to light for the gun, short stroking, FTE, and not locking back on the last round. I would love to find a VP9L-B optic ready to play with. I really like the feel of the grip and the trigger is not bad, but my short fat arthritic thumbs and the paddle mag release do not work well together. 

• 1 year later...

Floater, you might know this already, but it's almost easier to just use your strong hand middle finger to push the mag release down on the right hand side of the gun than to twist and use the thumb on the HKs I have tried. Cheers!

On 2/12/2022 at 6:54 PM, floater said:

Helped a friend sight in his new VP9L optic ready with a delta point 6 moa today. I shoot a legion in CO currently, but I would not mind picking up a HK after shooting one today. My 125 grain gallant load for my Legion shot  1" at 15 yards off hand, better than the legion. Trigger was in my opinion better, crisp break and not  mushy like the Sig, and recoil felt good, although all we did was shoot groups, no speed drills. He had some 135 grain blue bullet loads it didn't want to run with, but I think  the load was to light for the gun, short stroking, FTE, and not locking back on the last round. I would love to find a VP9L-B optic ready to play with. I really like the feel of the grip and the trigger is not bad, but my short fat arthritic thumbs and the paddle mag release do not work well together.