Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX 10 Primer Assembly Issues


Recommended Posts

Having an issue with the primer disc assy on my Apex10 with autodrive. It seems to be binding up and won't rotate if its pulled on with the rod underneath. The disc/cam unit seems to have a lot of play in the roller bearing that supports it.

I've taken the unit off the machine and the disc will rotate freely in the bearing, but once I put the silver arm back on and operate it by hand it binds up again.

Is there a way to get a replacement unit from Mark7?  Its basically a new press and I've only managed to load about 5000 rounds on it since new with all the issues. FYI I've been reloading on an 1050 for 20ish years, so I'm not new to reloading.

Thanks

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try loosening the shell plate nut. 

It fixed all my issues, one of them being the same as you. 

I used to tighten my Evo hand tight and it worked great. Tried the same with the Apex. Would not run.  I now tighten finger tight and it runs. 

Edited by echotango
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Your trouble is in the arm that touch the press body and don't return in its original position, so the disk dont rotate. Look at the pics i cut a bit material on the body press just as need to get the arm move freely. Its the best solution. After this, that you may not like it but it is extremely functional and will solve the problem for you. The primer feeders will work like a Swiss watch made the necessary adjustments.

Cattura.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that a minute or two with a dremel will resolve these problems pretty neatly. The press will also probably wear in on its own over time, but I do think it's somewhat absurd that Mark7 didn't catch this problem on their own... it's present on the Evo as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, erwos said:

I agree that a minute or two with a dremel will resolve these problems pretty neatly. The press will also probably wear in on its own over time, but I do think it's somewhat absurd that Mark7 didn't catch this problem on their own... it's present on the Evo as well.

How not to agree with you? Unfortunately, the dilemma after spending a lot of money is to stay complaining without solving the problem or to act and make the press work well without jams (which would always piss you off a lot)? I chose the latter.😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

FWIW, I did the plastic shield screw mod (screw closest to press loose, next one is "not tight"), adjusted the resting depth of the primer punch to be slightly upwards, tweaked the swage, and then used a hold-down over the primer station. I did about 15 test cases and had no crushed primers or other primer issues. I am cautiously optimistic that perhaps I have gotten to the bottom of this problem.

Edited by erwos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

My problem was that the primer disk was not turning enough to bring the primer to the correct position. It worked with 1000rds/h that the guide rod made the last few degrees. But with 1500 rds/h the guide rod crashed into the primer disk (I already have the updated disk).

 

Solution: The inner spring (green arrow) on the compliance rod seems to be out of a cheap pen. So I was searching for another one with similar dimensions but a higer compression force. Found this one with approx 26N total compression force or 2N/mm. Left is the new one, on the right the original one. I think 26N is a good value. Enough to drive the disk without loosing the failsafe function....

 

Runs like a charme now 🙂

 

Sorry for the metric system guys 😉

 

 

spring_Small.jpg

Spring_Spez.jpg

Spring_location.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SwissPewPew said:

My problem was that the primer disk was not turning enough to bring the primer to the correct position. It worked with 1000rds/h that the guide rod made the last few degrees. But with 1500 rds/h the guide rod crashed into the primer disk (I already have the updated disk).

 

Solution: The inner spring (green arrow) on the compliance rod seems to be out of a cheap pen. So I was searching for another one with similar dimensions but a higer compression force. Found this one with approx 26N total compression force or 2N/mm. Left is the new one, on the right the original one. I think 26N is a good value. Enough to drive the disk without loosing the failsafe function....

 

Runs like a charme now 🙂

 

Sorry for the metric system guys 😉

 

 

spring_Small.jpg

Spring_Spez.jpg

Spring_location.jpg

SwissPewPew can you share the link where you bought this spring?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Josh Biondi said:

SwissPewPew can you share the link where you bought this spring?

I have it from here, however I'm sure that there are factories in Italy as well... It's this in the list where the shopping cart is.

 

https://www.durovis.ch/de/federnkatalog/druckfedern-ab-lager.html/druckfedern-ab-lager-1-1200-sorte-c.html

shop.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...