Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 wide/fatter grips

G17fan

Hello all, I am looking for thick full size non beveled bottom aggressive grips to use with my Dawson magwell. I have large hands. 

Do the VZ grips come thick?

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Edited by G17fan

I would say VZ’s are slightly thicker than standard.  I use Operator II on 2 handguns and love the ultra grippy texture which more than makes up for the extra thickness need (I have long hands and like fat grips also).  

If you like your current grips, but they're not thick enough, you can use spacers. 

Looks like several companies sell them or you could do what I did and 3D print some.  I was able to use the stock grip screws with 1.8mm thick spacers.  If I went any thicker, I would need to purchase longer grip screws.

What I did for an STI DVC Classic 1911:

- get a Hogue 1911 rubber grip

- put a thin layer of epoxy on the grip

- sprinkle a layer of silicon carbide grip over the epoxy

- let it set

- put the Hogue grip on the gun and see if it's wide enough

- repeat as necessary until you have the feel you want

Gets a wider grip with excelent, well, grip.

Does DS Perman still make his 1920 grips?  That's what I've put on single stacks with Dawson magwells. They're also incredibly light weight which mattered back when we had a 43oz limit.

The thickest Techwells also feel pretty good, but don't have flat sides and feel more egg shaped.

This thread recommended Hogue grips which look pretty wide. I also might try them if I can find a set for only $20.

Edited by belus

51 minutes ago, Kilrb said:

I just ordered a set of the Armanov's as well. I have some of the G10 grips and have had Henning on my CZ's. I prefer the Metal grips as well

Aren’t they in Europe? It doesn’t look like they make non ergo style either. I don’t really like that ergo look. 

Edited by G17fan

2 hours ago, G17fan said:

Aren’t they in Europe? It doesn’t look like they make non ergo style either. I don’t really like that ergo look. 

They are but you order through US site shipped from Europe DHL. Mine will be here today, I for the standard size.

For perspective, I mostly use VZ standard thickness, for reference.  Operator II, Simonich Gunner, the Harrison grooved variant, etc.

I had some wood, flat bottom RoCo grips once.  They were thicker than thick.  It was like holding a baseball bat.

I think VZ is doing palmswell grips now too, if you want more than "normal".

My set of Techwell grips arrived late yesterday. With these grips my Springfield Emissary is just under 45 oz.  Have average size hands & I really like these grips but have not shot the gun with these yet.