Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best/most accurate bullseye accurate reloading dies for .45acp and 9mm on Forster single stage Co-Ax press

wanttolearn

Hi,

i've been reloading long range rifle ammunition for a few years now.

I would like to try my hand at reloading pistol ammunition, primarily 9mm and .45acp for the range. My intent is for tight little groups on paper....(no run and gun, no self defense or hunting). (i didn't want to post the same query on both the 9mm and the .45acp sections).

I have a Forster Co-Ax single stage press.

I'm not sure which brands/models of dies to invest in, there are so many to choose from.

I would prefer to keep prices below $150 for a single caliber set...unless you feel that that's insufficient, then i would consider higher priced sets if need be.

thank you

Hate to burst your bubble. Have used most every brand of dies to load. For "Bullseye" competition. Every one of them will produce ammo.That will put 10 shots inside 1 inch at 50 yards.   It really comes down to bullet quality first.  Powder charge second. cases third. All this assumes you have a gun/barrel capable of such accuracy.

From a High Master NRA/CMP   Precision Pistol. Triple Distinguished also.

Currently use Redding pro series dies. With modified seater . 

I appreciate the response, thank you

it's great to hear that there are many suitable options

with respect to the seater modification, was this something that you could effect like a simple polishing or was it something that required factory intervention?

I agree with the above, most brands dies will be able to produce quality ammunition if there is no defect with them.

For smoothness and overall quality I prefer Redding (TIC) and I also like the Lee U dies en Lee factory crimp for reliability. The Hornady TiN coated sizer is also nice.

• 2 months later...

Reloading the quantity of ammo I shoot in Bullseye pistol, on a single stage, would get old in a hurry.  Turret presses are faster, without being too expensive.  Progressives can be much more ... difficult and expensive.  

I find it a lot easier to load really accurate .45 acp , than 9mm.  There are lots of discussions on techniques for each on the Bullseye-L forum's ammunition subforum:  

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/f13-ammunition-discussion

What exactly you are going to need in dies is going to depend on what your load is.  If you are going to shoot Lead bullets, you need somewhat different dies than Jacketed, because high neck tension is fine with Jacketed, but it may squash your Lead bullet diameter to too small.  With Lead bullets, if possible, I want the size die to leave the case such that the ID is right at bullet diameter, and if not possible I want an expander which leaves the ID the same as bullet OD down to the bullet base. If you are shooting Jacketed, you are free to have high neck tension, which will prevent bullet set-back on feeding.  Lead bullets frequently have external lubrication, which sometimes builds up in Seating dies, causing bullets to seat deeper, and if you clean it out you lose adjustment with all but the Dillon seater.  

You'll want to match the Seating stem to match the bullet you are using.  There are specialty expander and seating stem makers to deal with this:  

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/

• 1 month later...

Pro series dies are not for use on a single stage press.

They are like a dillon die set sizer seater crimp die.  There is no case mouth expander.

The regular 88XXX series dies are for single stage use sizer expander and combo seater/crimp