Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

input on sport pistol and n320 loads with blue bullets 180/200gr

Guitarmageddon

Hello all,

Doing some research before I start cranking out some 40 cal loads which is a new-to-me caliber. Ive done thousands upon thousands of 9mm/38/45 to this point. Mix of coated and FMJ. 

I bought 180 and 200gr blues to test. And Im trying to find my way through published data as well as spot checking viability with GRT. 

On the topic of n320...
-No data for coated 200gr out there. They have TMJ in n340 and beyond, but nothing n320 for 200gr. Judging by GRT, which is highly accurate for n320, and a bullet profile I have played around with in their library, Im thinking a coal of 1.130 and charge weights of somewhere in 3.9-4.2gr range would be feasible. Would like someones real world data to confirm or deny this though before I get to experimenting. 
--for the 180gr, it shows 3.5 thru 4.1gr of n320 for a "Fiocchi, LTC". is that lead truncated cone? But when I try to model anything close to that in GRT it has it way low velocity so I may just not be picking the right bullet in the library.

On the topic of alliant sport pistol, one of my favorites:

image.png.8bbfcbf92b5b379e21f2dbafc18446d4.png
1.10 coal, with a max charge of 3.6. I could probably extend this out a bit and  experiment but it seems fine to me. Does seem that youd have to push pretty much to max at that OAL to get a consistent power factor cushion.

However they throw out a very long OAL for the 180gr. 1.160?? Assuming that is due to people loading long for 2011s? The chamber here is reamed so I suppose I could go that long, but havent fiddled with the magazines a ton to know if theyll get fussy that long (this is a CZ tso)
image.png.f2bef554845dbc6f5f346985d1295d70.png

Ill be loading on a 550, and using a lee u-die station 1, dillon powder drop/expand station 2, station lee a lee seat/crimp but i dont allow it to apply crimp, just use it for seating, and station 4 is a dillon taper crimp. Thanks everyone

3 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Can you elaborate on why some do that? I'm seeing it a lot in .40 as I research, and wondering if it's Superior ballistically or just for feeding reasons etc?

For better feeding in 1911/2011 platform, which was designed around .45 ACP ammo.  I believe .45 ball ammo is typically 1.235 and SAAMI spec is 1.190 to 1.275.

Edited by ltdmstr

At a length of 1.130, which I have loaded for Glock barrels, I've used 4.2g N320 with 180g bullets and 3.8g N320 with 200g bullets.  These loads were with either lead/lubed or coated.  Should give you a starting point.  I know the 4.2g made major in my gun.  I loaded the 200g for a friend based on my 180g load and search results.  He ran 1000 of them through his Glock with no issues, but I do not have chrono results on them.

OP-

If you're loading .40 for a CZ, you're going to need to load shorter than 1.16.  I load .40 for TSOs and 2011s.  The 2011s can take 1.16 (perhaps a bit more) but my CZs cannot.  

I've used N320 a bit also for .40 and 180gr bullets.  Between 4.3 and 4.5 is what I use. Both will make major, just depends on how much cushion you want.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:01 PM, muncie21 said:

OP-

If you're loading .40 for a CZ, you're going to need to load shorter than 1.16.  I load .40 for TSOs and 2011s.  The 2011s can take 1.16 (perhaps a bit more) but my CZs cannot.  

I've used N320 a bit also for .40 and 180gr bullets.  Between 4.3 and 4.5 is what I use. Both will make major, just depends on how much cushion you want.

This chamber has been reamed so I believe the previous owner has taken it out to 1.18 even. I figured 1.16 is a good baseline for the long loads. I dont have it in-hand yet but I will confirm as soon as I do.