Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone know of a good book or site with a detailed history of the evolution of US IPSC/USPSA?

ramairthree

I have some memories as an on again/off again dilettante.

But it seems like it would be a great source of information and entrainment for an accurate, detailed look.

It might be fun just to throw out what we remember.

I graduated HS in a rural environment with a lot of hunting, but only a little rimfire and center fire revolver experience.  
I had only basic pistol training when I entered the Army.  We still had M1911A1s, and in Ranger Bn did basic squad to SOT, SOT MTT, intrinsic type training.

‘Then another two week MTT from the AMU on the M9 when those were issued.

I decided I wanted to try some shooting completions.  All red blooded American men are 110% confident and sure of four things.  They are an awesome shot.  An incredible driver.  An unstoppable fighter.  And a master of sexually satisfying women.  Even if they have no experience, training, physicality, etc.  I wanted to actually be awesome at all four and was always chasing women, training, getting people that drag raced or did courses to take me, extra shooting, etc.

My only pistols were  a Colt .22LR rimfire SA revolver, and a .357 Ruger Blackhawk.  And all of the above were limited by funds.  But I needed a SA pistol.  I dropped the equivalent of a month of jump pay on a Star BKM and two extra mags.  And a nylon uncle mikes holster.

I through word of mouth and looking around heard of a match.  I showed up - and there were maybe 15 guys.  It was mostly 1911s, with a BHP or two, no berettas or Glocks yet, but a Steryr GB was there.  And I think a second Gen S&W.  And a couple of revolvers.  They mostly had leather holsters and pouches. Some like me just had a mag or two in the back pocket.   A heated argument arose over a stage requiring two magazine changes, as some guys only had two magazines.  And another over whether +P 38 got full scoring or only .357.  But they were welcoming, offered tips, etc.  One guy had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth on every stage.  Everyone had a little different stance, etc.    Despite being the 80s, nobody had a shoulder holster.  A second match a few months later was essentially a repeat but one guy had a Beretta.  People called these matches IPSC, but I have no idea how officially affiliated, etc. they were.

That was the extent of my match experience from 1986-1989.  Except to say- that like many new shooters- I was going to overcome lack of ability and/or training- with equipment.  I had saved up like crazy, laugh all you want- and spent about 1000 dollars on a Desert Eagle .44, the Mount, and an Aimpoint 1000.  This was a couple of years before someone won a national championship with a red dot.  And the first red dot pistol most of us had our hands on.  I didn’t quite understand scoring was a boost for going to 45, but no more for going higher.  All the same, people loved to check out and see that gun.  By the time I had that together, I had PCSd and had a lull until about 1991.  Around 1991 I went to a match, and the DE was a hit to look at and check out, but I realized how dumb it was compared to other guns.  And expensive to shoot.  For the first time, someone was a national champion using a red dot, so the dozen or so guys at the match thought it was cool.  

I saved up 500 bucks for a Beretta.  Keep in mind I had to scrimp to buy ammo for matches, let alone I couldn’t really afford to practice.  The matches were the training and practice.  People just shot the guns stock, with whatever the magazines they came with held.  I went to a match in 1992, and really liked the Beretta.  But I wanted full scoring.  I also wanted a compensator like I saw one or two guys with.  For some odd reason, the Sportsman’s Guide had a 9x21 barrel, threaded, with comp, and 9x21 ammo.  I saved up and spent the money and now had a 9mm Major!  With a compensator!  And I did shoot a match with it.  With that compensator, it shot and recoiled easy  just like regular 9mm.  Some of you may already be laughing.  There was no chronograph at any of the matches I had been to.  9x21 was a way to have regular 9mm in places where people could not have military 9x19.  We just didn’t know it.  I went to another match about 93 and someone had a Glock.  I saved for a G19 and shot one match with that.   I PCSd in 1994 and had another lull.

So half a dozen little local matches over close to a decade, all very different than now.  It was way different to get information and know stuff back then.  Around 96 I did a match with the Glock again, then the Beretta for one- back in its regular 9mm set up, a buddy taught me to reload, and- I bought a used P14 with 4 pre-ban mags.  With base plates giving me 15 round magazines.  I did a couple more matches between 98-01.  I was never a dry fire, practice type but was gaining more shooting time as the years went on in the military.  People had kydex holsters now.  People were messing with extended baseplates and more capacity.  And fancy belts.  Things got really busy for me around 2001.  I didn’t do matches for a decade.  I had recently had hand and wrist surgery.  I started shooting production with a son.  We had Beretta 92s.  I really like the era around then.  We did about a dozen matches Between 2010 and 2013.

Then I had a break again until a few months ago.  I could fill in some more anecdotes, unusual gun combos seen, etc.  but am more interested in hearing yours.

Any of you that were already serious, knowledgable competitors in the 80s and 90s must be groaning and half knocked out from slapping your foreheads.  Anyone that was always a serious, practicing, dedicated competitor must also be face playing though all this.  Any of you guys that entered 15 or so years ago and later just won’t be able to process what not knowing stuff or being able to look it up and having all information on everything on the internet.

There is no definitive history of IPSC that I am aware of. Even finding old copies of the rule-books can be a frustrating experience. There are many old photographs in shooting magazines (American Handgunner) for example that may be available online. Some were taken by Nyle Leatham (TGO's dad).

Watching very old videos of IPSC matches is an eye-opener, the speed that people are shooting now is incredible compared to 20-30 years ago.

I was watching a few old videos last night from 1997, the last year of shooting in England before the guns were destroyed. I still have some old photos from the World Shoot in Brazil in 1996.

342001789_WSXI3.thumb.jpeg.5702857c7001d1876f2799ee2819b81a.jpeg

Edited by BritinUSA

All of the old Front Sight magazines are on uspsa.org going back to the early/mid 80s. Definitely check them out. It is very interesting to see how the sport and guns evolved in print. The old reloading and gunsmithing articles are also a wealth of knowledge.