Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Rifle Bipods, Tripods, and Bags

Switching over to open this year with my dissident coming in a week. Already have my open pistol and rifle set up otherwise but was looking for some help on go to shooting rests. What bags bipods and tripods do you recommend or have been using successfully in matches? 

This can be such a deep rabbit hole to get lost in. It's largely personal preference. Bipods feel like cheating. You don't necessarily need bags though they do make things easier.

A good Harris bipod will do just fine and could possibly be more advantageous due to the way it deploys over say an Atlas. I haven't had that particular scenario come up though . I use an Atlas, but a Harris will save you some money.

For bags I went the ARCA route with an Area419 rail and a grip changer. It is expensive and overkill I know and I will never go back. The grip changer is enough bag in most cases and allows me to move it around on the rail and never have to think about fiddling with it on the clock. I occasionally qd mount a super light rear bag to my stock if I know I will spend a lot of time prone. 

My local area has a strong 2 gun scene and this setup works really well for that. Depends on what you need to do. 80% of our shots are inside 400 yards with occasional targets in that 400-600 yard range. 

1 hour ago, Adamj said:

This can be such a deep rabbit hole to get lost in. It's largely personal preference. Bipods feel like cheating. You don't necessarily need bags though they do make things easier.

A good Harris bipod will do just fine and could possibly be more advantageous due to the way it deploys over say an Atlas. I haven't had that particular scenario come up though . I use an Atlas, but a Harris will save you some money.

For bags I went the ARCA route with an Area419 rail and a grip changer. It is expensive and overkill I know and I will never go back. The grip changer is enough bag in most cases and allows me to move it around on the rail and never have to think about fiddling with it on the clock. I occasionally qd mount a super light rear bag to my stock if I know I will spend a lot of time prone. 

My local area has a strong 2 gun scene and this setup works really well for that. Depends on what you need to do. 80% of our shots are inside 400 yards with occasional targets in that 400-600 yard range. 

Most matches 3 gun wise will be within 600 yards. I do want to start doing some DMR/Sniper matches as well so I’m looking to have cross platform tools. Arca rail seems to be a must in the sniper matches

Take a look at Cole-Tac. Their backbone will will work with all their bags. Once you start using bags, you will never want to shoot without one. Also, for the tripod, look at two vets. The have one of the best I've seen. Most outlaw 3 gun matches let you stage equipment so running to set up on a tripod or series of bags are great help.

I like seeing people bring a bunch of bags to the line. It usually means entertainment is in store.

1 hour ago, donno said:

Most outlaw 3 gun matches let you stage equipment so running to set up on a tripod or series of bags are great help.

I've always seen the exact opposite. And I'd ask to see the rule book if I did see that happening.

1 hour ago, donno said:

The last 3 majors I shot last year-Pro-Am, Memorial and Fort Benning all could stage gear. A lot of it depends on the MD I guess. Those three were run under 2 different rule sets.

Huh. So now 3 gun will go the way of PRS.

It's jokingly called tactical benchrest for a reason. MD's come up with the most convoluted of situations to try to force awkward shooting positions only to allow everyone to circumvent them by bringing a truckload of shooting aids to negate the challenge.

Innovation is good. New tech and new ways to solve problems are good. But you don't see USPSA shooters staging mags everywhere on the stage in case something goes wrong. Or standing on coolers to shoot over an obstacle. And yes, that's a real thing that's caused significant drama in PRS.

17 hours ago, donno said:

The last 3 majors I shot last year-Pro-Am, Memorial and Fort Benning all could stage gear. A lot of it depends on the MD I guess. Those three were run under 2 different rule sets.

Well great. Now I have multiple people PMing me telling me none of this happened and if I don't shut up about it I'll get burnt at the stake for heresy.

Again, not saying you're lying, just saying I really kicked the hornets nest.

Also Ft. Benning rules at least specifically disallow staging, which means anyone that did it cheated to get an advantage. That should be a huge deal, but 3 gunners hate rules I guess so no one cares.980835507_Capture_2022-01-07-07-29-35.thumb.png.7ef650122c71acb04d4c9a095900e7ca.png