Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Pistols for Same Division?

Winston_Smith

5.1.7 is a USPSA rule. 

Here is the IDPA rule:

”8.1.6 Unserviceable Firearm Rule
A. In any single match, a shooter must use the same firearm for all stages unless it becomes unserviceable.
B. If the shooter determines that the firearm has become unserviceable, he will notify a Safety Officer who will
notify the Match Director.”

16 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

Maybe they would let you re-enter with another gun and shoot the course again?

I've done that, provided the match and attendance allows for it. It's also really common for 5x5-only matches.

I don't let shooters switch guns arbitrarily. I'm less concerned about the game-y component and thinking more about the fact that we've safety-checked their firearm at least once (if they've shot) and I'd rather not introduce an additional possibility for a safety issue.

Back in the day when I ran the local monthly match, I had 4 guys always wanted to shoot early early Saturday morning so weather permitting we would start setting up Friday night and Saturday at 6-6:30 and shoot at 7:30. Would have the regular crowd show up at 9am and then the out of  town guys show up at 1pm. Was always a long day and usually did this 4-5 times a year. This gave the guys that wanted to try out different divisions a good chance to compare pistols and get some good practice in. Mostly did 2 short 8-9 stages then 3-4 stages at 15-18 shots.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:47 PM, Toolguy said:

Maybe they would let you re-enter with another gun and shoot the course again?

We just don't have the time to do this.  We have a pretty full crowd.  I'm not trying to seek any competitive advantage.  I do this for fun and would just like to try different pistols throughout the day.  Thanks everybody for your responses.