Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a new vehicle

Bakerjd

I'm trying to get a new or pretty new used 4 wheel drive vehicle that's good on fuel mileage. As much as is possible anyways. I'm a union member and while I really want to support my union workers and buy American it is actually impossible to find a SUV or full size truck made by the big three that's is less then $50k and gets better then 22mpg. It's as if they really just don't give half a s#!t about it at all. I get that we love our V8s and all that. I have a hot rod, and big diesel 4x4. I want something I can drive from MI to say AL and not get 20mpg. Shoot my 2008 ram 2500 diesel gets 22mpg on that trip. And it's over 10 years old. This is just really really frustrating because being union I feel like I'm screwing my people over if I go buy something else but at the same time I'm like I don't want a $900 a month payment or to have a 72+ month loan. 

Anyways rant over. 

16 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I was in a similar boat. Gave up on new/nearly new and got a low miles VW Touareg TDI that's been great and gets 30+ mpg. 

How are the seats? I had a 2011 jetta tdi and the seats hurt my butt on long trips. 

I would call them firm but comfortable. More so than my 06 Jetta TDI's seats, and more adjustable, but not as supportive as my Mk6 GTI's seats. Just went from WI to FL in the Touareg recently, made the 15hr return trip in one sitting and felt fine.

While I truly do understand trying to buy American I cannot buy substandard equipment for that kind of money. The big three have lagged behind in quality for decades now.  Unfortunately most offerings/products are not reliable from American automakers. Not only that they want you to pay way more for a lower quality product than say Honda or Toyota. 

If a truck is not a must try a Toyota Rav 4 Hydrid.  My wife drives one and it’s amazing. Great build quality, AWD, and with the Hybrid motor you get V6 power with over 40 mpg. The thing is a dream to drive.  Was never a fan of the Rav 4 because of the body style, but they really hit it out of the park with the new body design.