Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 6.5 creedmoor brass trouble.

usmc1974

I was just wondering, if anybody is having trouble resizing it? I got a batch of once fired 6.5 creedmoor brass. It just will not size, I use Hornady custom 2 die set, and a Hornady case gauge. Thought I might need to get a small base sizing die?

6 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I was just wondering, if anybody is having trouble resizing it? I got a batch of once fired 6.5 creedmoor brass. It just will not size, I use Hornady custom 2 die set, and a Hornady case gauge. Thought I might need to get a small base sizing die?

Once fired in what I wonder? (Ar10 or maybe even the new mk48 that SOCOM is talking about?)

Have you put a light layer of soot on the entire case to see how the die is compressing it?  I used to do this for adjusting FL dies to just neck size. It would tell you if you are getting complete contact/sizing. 

What do you mean it's not sizing and how did you come to that conclusion? Do you mean it's not chambering? If that's the case (lol) do like Modoc says and see what's hitting, I use dychem or sharpie markers. Yes small base dies can be a good thing if they are fat bottom girls. 

Also what lube are you using, a lot of the store bought s#!t isn't good enough for really hard cases. Have you ever tried the homemade lanolin/alcohol stuff? Once you have you won't go back to anything else 

I never had this problem with Hornady or Star line brass..same dies same lube. I did however do some searches and a lot of reloaders are having the same problems with Winchester brass, some of them just stop using it.

Edited by usmc1974

I had the exact problem with Hornady brass, so I bought a RCBS Small base Die and still had cases that wouldn't drop gauge in the Hornady gauge periodically.   I sent it back to Hornady with my Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor standard sizing die with some "bad" brass and I got a note back that they were all in spec.   Later I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor drop gauge off eBay from The Shooter Box, checked the "bad" brass with the new gauge and a new AR10 Shilen Barrel, Short answer all the "bad" brass drop right into the barrel and the new drop gauge.  I have bought several of their case gauges, I really like them!  Sometime soon, I am going to do a chamber cast of the Hornady drop gauge and see what the specs are on it.  I suspect that it is under sized or cut to SAAMI min specs

Just curious, has anyone compared the go and no-go cases with a Head-n-Shoulder gauge or checked neck thickness? Where is the interference coming from? 
I always love the “It’s within Spec” answer. There’s allot of room from top to bottom there.