Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It ends where it began

Jules1985

I started shooting IPSC in 2015 and my first weapon was a glock 17. Convinced that a better gun will make me a better shooter, the next purchase was a custom 2011.

Needless to say, my improvement was less because of the weapon but in my personal Skills As a Shooter.

The last big step was an open weapon which, however, only caused misfortune due to various technical defects and did drive me to the brink of collapse. The 5500 € gun failed, the speed holster failed and the expensive guga ribas magazine holders regularly said goodbye together with the magazines in the sand of a stage.

absolutely f*#ked up by corona, weapons that annoyed like a pile of crap in the living room at christmas I decided to take my old Glock 17 generation 3 out of the cabinet with a factory trigger and plain Iron Sights… and what can i say ... although i was always convinced that it was a red dot and a lot of money i invest in a weapon that would make me a better shooter this was not the case.

Instead, I have to say that the possibility of simply concentrating on one stage knowing that the weapon simply works without having to worry about it is the real success. i'm no slower than Witz any sophisticated weapon. my split times are identical and my equipment cost a total of € 800. if I had known it earlier (and everyone told me so) I would have saved an impressive thousand s of euros. i am happy to be part of the glock team again. it ends where it begins.

Waves

I figure IF I ever get to GM I'd look at other platforms, but really the modded 34,17 or 35  is a great pistol and has tons going for it, KKM barrels/timney trigger and they shoot like a dream, far better than I  can hold.   And there is a LOT to be said for being able to fix/work on the things at home, it goes real bad, just buy another LMAO zero issues

Edited by Sinister4

I keep looking at new guns but I have a hard time leaving my 34.5, especially after throwing in That Timney trigger. I have a couple minor changes I'm making to it in the off season but I'm not competing serious enough to have the gun hold me back at this point and I'll just run what I have and what I know.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I keep looking at new guns but I have a hard time leaving my 34.5, especially after throwing in That Timney trigger. I have a couple minor changes I'm making to it in the off season but I'm not competing serious enough to have the gun hold me back at this point and I'll just run what I have and what I know.

This.  After 20 years shooting the 34's and 17's, hard to switch, and as a super senior, a new platform is not going to take me that much further.  Add the expense of new equipment after so much invested in Glock, have to ask why.  It still remains - It's the Indian, not the arrow.

I used to shoot 1911s and then 2011s until I discovered a Glock 34 back in around 2005. Been shooting them ever since. They are comfortable to hold and they just work. I’ve never really had reliability problems with any gun. If it doesn’t work, it’s gone. Simple as that. My fading eyesight is forcing me to move to optics, but I’ll stick with Glock through it all. They just seem to work best for me. 

@Cuz I have minor astigmatism and red dots just don't work for me unless I use corrective lenses. But at that point I also just stick with irons as I can shoot those without corrective lenses. Plus the cost and ease of modifying Glocks makes them very worthwhile for those trying to figure out what parts and accessories works best for them. 

25 minutes ago, Baragasam said:

@Cuz I have minor astigmatism and red dots just don't work for me unless I use corrective lenses. But at that point I also just stick with irons as I can shoot those without corrective lenses. Plus the cost and ease of modifying Glocks makes them very worthwhile for those trying to figure out what parts and accessories works best for them. 

What exactly does a astigmatism do to the dot that makes them useless? 

1 minute ago, Baragasam said:

For me, without corrective lenses the dot looks like a starburst/smear rather than a crisp ball/circle. 

How big of a smear? Have you tried a smaller dot?

Most of my dots don't look crisp either. I tend to like the smaller 2.5 moa dots. It doesn't really matter to me what the dot looks like just so it's in the A-zone. I also tend to not crank the brightness up to high. That can make a 2.5 moa dot flare up and look like a 5 or 6. Still usable just not my favorite. On closer targets all you need to do is see a flash of red really, some people describe it as using a paint brush. If that makes sense to you. 

Not trying to keep you from your irons, if they work that's great. Just thinking there might be ways to work through your issue if you wanted to. 

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

How big of a smear? Have you tried a smaller dot?

Most of my dots don't look crisp either. I tend to like the smaller 2.5 moa dots. It doesn't really matter to me what the dot looks like just so it's in the A-zone. I also tend to not crank the brightness up to high. That can make a 2.5 moa dot flare up and look like a 5 or 6. Still usable just not my favorite. On closer targets all you need to do is see a flash of red really, some people describe it as using a paint brush. If that makes sense to you. 

Not trying to keep you from your irons, if they work that's great. Just thinking there might be ways to work through your issue if you wanted to. 

I totally agree. I tried going to different dot sizes and brightness settings but at best it still looks like 3 dots bunched together sometimes. But I agree with the fact that as long as you see red and cover the A-zones it'll be fine. Except I train mostly for self-defense and may not wear corrective lenses all the time. The point-shoot concept still applies from optics to irons though. I also enjoy optics whenever I come across a gun equipped with one. 

44 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

What exactly does a astigmatism do to the dot that makes them useless? 

I had a set of lenses made to make the dot look sharp,  its focus (for me) was pretty much the longest target distance, its not quite as far as my long distance Rx, but its out there,  IE the dot and the target appear to the eye at they are in the same plane, if that makes sense  My eye doctor is great and also a shooter so it was pretty easy to figure out and all.   I do however shoot irons still and for that use a monovision RX.  Without the "dot" lenses the dot is nothing but a nasty fuzzball no matter where its set 

23 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

I had a set of lenses made to make the dot look sharp,  its focus (for me) was pretty much the longest target distance, its not quite as far as my long distance Rx, but its out there,  IE the dot and the target appear to the eye at they are in the same plane, if that makes sense  My eye doctor is great and also a shooter so it was pretty easy to figure out and all.   I do however shoot irons still and for that use a monovision RX.  Without the "dot" lenses the dot is nothing but a nasty fuzzball no matter where its set 

Wow I have a eye doctor too but that's cool to know that there's tailored solutions for that. Makes sense for a controlled condition shooting environment.