Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring weight for CO Gen5 34?

LeviSS

I think I've been using a 15lb because it didn't pass the vertical battery test when I was setting it up a couple years agowith a 13lb.  That was with irons.  Both ISMI.

I've got a Timney in it now.

Now I've got an SRO on it and was curious if a 13lb would work with the extra mass of the optic.

What are you guys running?

Edited by LeviSS

2 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I think I've been using a 15lb because it didn't pass the vertical battery test when I was setting it up a couple years agowith a 13lb.  That was with irons.  Both ISMI.

Now I've got an SRO on it and was curious if a 13lb would work with the extra mass of the optic.

13lb with a Romeo 3 Max. No issues. 

14 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I've got a Timney in it now.

Did you try the vertical test with the sro & 13? I’m running 15 spring using the Glock tungsten rod and Timney trigger. Might try 13 to see if it works

3 hours ago, Eli_a said:

Did you try the vertical test with the sro & 13? I’m running 15 spring using the Glock tungsten rod and Timney trigger. Might try 13 to see if it works

I knew I had a 13lb ISMI around and after some digging, I found it.  For some reason, it passes it now.  Maybe it was because the gun was new when I first tried it and now it's broken in?  IDK.

So, for now I'm going to try to run the Timney with 13lb recoil and 4.5 striker springs.  I'll shoot it in the off season to make sure that combo works well.

10 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

I have a gen 5 34 and use a 13# recoil spring and a 4.5 striker spring and have not had a single issue. This is my preferred setup for a G34. 

Is this with a Timney trigger?

With my Apex trigger I run a 13lb recoil with a 4.0 lb striker. I like this combo. 

I have a Timney on the way, which will allow me to increase the striker spring for reliability, but I wonder what affect that will have on my recoil spring options. 

I also tend to run my Glocks very dirty, cleaning every couple of years or so. It will be interesting to see how the Timney changes as the gun gets dirty. 

15 hours ago, Cuz said:

I also tend to run my Glocks very dirty, cleaning every couple of years or so. It will be interesting to see how the Timney changes as the gun gets dirty. 

I installed my trigger in March when it came out and cleaned it about a month ago when the season ended. Shot probably 4k or a lite more before cleaning and I didn't have any issues.

9 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I installed my trigger in March when it came out and cleaned it about a month ago when the season ended. Shot probably 4k or a lite more before cleaning and I didn't have any issues.

That is good to hear. I’m usually well over that count before I resort to cleaning.