Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

21-01 "8 x 3 Trigger Freeze"

UpYoursPal

https://uspsa.org/viewer//21-01.pdf

Shot this brand new classifier yesterday.  Not a big fan - it's very hose-y and not especially challenging.  Shooting limited, I went outside -> in on the first array, reloaded, inside -> out on the second array while moving to the left, then blazed down the last array.

17A/5C/2D, 109pts

8.75s, 12.4571HF for 81.42% in Limited 

It’s pretty much “shot out” from the gate. At least for PCC. Open and CO are crazy high too. 

If you’re trying to score a hundo… you’ll need to be sub-7 and pretty clean. 3-4C max for minor scoring. 

The challenge is you’ve gotta go FAST and be incredibly accurate at speed on a few higher risk targets. 

I put a 16.35 on it at PCC/CO Nationals. 

21A/2C/1D in 6.85 - 100%

Edited by Dirty_J

3 hours ago, shred said:

I'm not a big fan of it either, but we're going to see it non-stop at locals like when "can you count" first came out, because hosing and round count.

Now if they’d made it Virginia count like Can you count… then it would be more interesting. Slightly. 

Or take out one target from each array and require 3 hits per. 

Something to stir it up a little… 

I'd first try whacking 2 targets from each array, leaving the spacing and everything else as-is and see if that might accomplish the same thing-- high-speed-shooting-and-moving with a couple high-risk targets but with a less excessive hit factor and less reliance on needing a CO gun that holds 24.

12 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I'd put a no shoot on every target, and each array having the no shoots from from kinda risky to totally risky. Make it more about throttle control.

Adding no shoots for difficulty is just bad stage design. Lazy. Hard no. 

20 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Adding no shoots for difficulty is just bad stage design. Lazy. Hard no. 

3 arrays of 4 targets all on the same plane less than 7 yards away is bad and lazy stage design. I started with crap, so any change would be using crap as the main ingredient. LOL.

Working with the classifier leaving the targets where they are, that's the change I would make at first thought. Now if I was asked to design a higher hf classifier that tested rapid shooting on multiple targets and likely shooting on the move for 1/3 to half the targets I would have done something entirely different.

@rowdyb while I agree that the new classifiers could be better, these are still lightyears ahead of the options we had years ago. At least you’re moving and entering/exiting/loading.

I’m just thankful the Org is trying anything new at all.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The classification system is complex and has decades of "stuff" associated with it. It would be a difficult job to reform it to a majority of member's satisfaction. My member number is TY82278, anyone is free to look at which classifiers I've shot over the years, and never being a MD I'm usually at the mercy of shooting what someone else wants. I mean, I've only shot 293 classifiers, by quick count on my profile.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

3 arrays of 4 targets all on the same plane less than 7 yards away is bad and lazy stage design.

That may be the case but its light years better than standing in a box shooting an array of targets on the same plane, reload and shoot the same targets.  Like @MemphisMechanicmentioned above at least it tests more skills used in actual competitions. 

Also something to keep in mind about classifiers.  The design of the stage has to be pretty simple, in that it has to be re-produced to exact measurements by hundreds of different clubs around the world typically not using the exact same equipment.  There is going to be limitations to stage designs, when this is taken into account.

I too, am thankful at least they are tying something different.

11 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

That may be the case but its light years better than standing in a box shooting an array of targets on the same plane, reload and shoot the same targets.

In the 99 series, there are 12 classifiers matching the 'stand in box, shoot at array on a plane, reload, shoot again'. From the 03 series to the current day, there are another 12, for a total of 24. (Neither figure counts standards courses with multiple strings and shooting positions.)

From the 99 series to the 13 series, there are 8 classifiers that take substantial movement (i.e., on-the-clock movement more substantial than switching sides of a barricade). From the 18 series to the present day, there are 12, for a total of 20.

The last few years have filled in a gap in the classifier book, for sure, but there are plenty of interesting, challenging classifiers that predate them.

Shot this with a 12.6hf today with a mike and generally s#!tty hits. 6.88 seconds though. I'll put the video up in a bit

:not exactly smooth but is what it is. I'd have been happy-ish with this one if not for the mike

Edited by waktasz

On 12/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, waktasz said:

Shot this with a 12.6hf today with a mike and generally s#!tty hits. 6.88 seconds though. I'll put the video up in a bit

:not exactly smooth but is what it is. I'd have been happy-ish with this one if not for the mike

Haha. That commentary tho. 😊 

• 6 months later...