Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Member survey for AIWB holsters

BigJerm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i like gabe. i don’t know or care anything about the tactical scene, so i only know him in the context of uspsa matches, and i’ve never heard him talk down anyone else, in person or on the internet.

I’m sure he’s a good guy. And I’m sure his self defense classes are well designed and appropriate. 

But I wouldn’t objectively consider him a very high level shooter or very high level field course competitor. 

Those things aren’t required to be a good teacher and vice versa. 

Edited by -JCN-

20 hours ago, -JCN- said:

I’m sure he’s a good guy. And I’m sure his self defense classes are well designed and appropriate. 

But I wouldn’t objectively consider him a very high level shooter or very high level field course competitor. 

He hasn't actively done competition for 4-5 years now. Last Area match I shot with him maybe 3-4 years now was his first match in a long time.

Had he been allowed to shoot out of appendix in Production when he was actively doing action sports, there is no doubt in my mind he would've had a G card. Those M  class Lim minor HFs were Gs in Production. 

One easily overlooked thing is that he was and is doing it with a stock Glock, not trigger tuned 50 oz 9 mm gun like you and I are using to get our classifications. 

I've not shot with him for some time and I think he'd agree that his field game may be not what he wanted it to be, but his curriculum isn't about USPSA and I consider him a pretty high level shooter. 

Edited by YVK

38 minutes ago, YVK said:

He hasn't actively done competition for 4-5 years now. Last Area match I shot with him maybe 3-4 years now was his first match in a long time.

Had he been allowed to shoot out of appendix in Production when he was actively doing action sports, there is no doubt in my mind he would've had a G card. Those M  class Lim minor HFs were Gs in Production. 

One easily overlooked thing is that he was and is doing it with a stock Glock, not trigger tuned 50 oz 9 mm gun like you and I are using to get our classifications. 

I've not shot with him for some time and I think he'd agree that his field game may be not what he wanted it to be, but his curriculum isn't about USPSA and I consider him a pretty high level shooter. 

The discussion with @MikeBurgesswas field course skills and I brought up that video to add counterpoint to the people saying that the concealment was the issue. It wasn’t. It was movement and transitions mainly since most draws were with movement. 

I think Charlie is better at field courses than Gabe right now (A class Senior Lady). 

Also regarding classifications, that might have been true in 2017 before HHFs were adjusted, but not currently. 

His two last classifiers that were: 100 and 89.26 in limited…  in current Production standards they are 97 and 80% respectively. 

Current Production is harder than previous minor Limited. 

5DC34774-5F39-4944-AF72-CBDB681C8B1C.thumb.png.d515fcd00d579f3d432752f5f3fd18e6.png

295AD7B0-58C2-464A-9721-0FEDA7967007.thumb.png.d43530764076b6d9cbf4a53cdd210efb.png

154836CC-F30C-40EB-8D48-95C1B9D0FFE0.thumb.png.1c7de311f2c753ba1812146addef1f0a.png

Sure, racey guns and whatever. But it’s a when in Rome thing. By not using what people are using in the sport, you get a fudge factor that is incomparable. 

I think a lot of people do that on purpose to avoid the comparison. 

Edited by -JCN-

Posting a video of my wife, who is a close friend of Gabe, is a pretty low class move. When Gabe was shooting USPSA, he was very competitive, despite shooting Minor from concealment. When Gabe went to Rogers, he was one of a handful of people to shoot a perfect 125, and the first and perhaps only to do it from concealment. Gabe is an incredible person. In my view, being a great person trumps being a great shooter, every day of the week. 

Edited by GJM
Weird spell check

9 hours ago, GJM said:

Posting a video of my wife, who is a close friend of Gabe, is a pretty low class move. When Gabe was shooting USPSA, he was very competitive, despite shooting Minor from concealment. When Gabe went to Rogers, he was one of a handful of people to shoot a perfect 125, and the first and perhaps only to do it from concealment. Gabe is an incredible person. In my view, being a great person trumps being a great shooter, every day of the week. 

And now juniors and minors shoot perfect 125s. Time marches on. Adapt or get left in the dust. 

Gabe seems like a truly great person. 

But that’s not what we are talking about. 

Hackathorn was a great shooter back in the day and by all rights a good dude too. 

But time marches on. Every sport, the bar gets raised with every subsequent year. 

All of what you said is true. But not relevant in 2021-2022. 

@GJM You should also know by now that I’m more interested in objective assessment than I am about feelings and stroking egos.

Doesn’t matter if Larry Bird was one of the best in his time to me if the current judgement / comparison / assessment is the state of affairs in 2021-2022. 

I’m not one for historical nostalgia. 

And to bring it back on topic, IDPA has done a terrible job of adapting to the times which is why USPSA is eating its lunch in terms of new blood and skill advancement. 

Karl Rehn has a very honest assessment of himself and how his skills have atrophied since making GM. He’s humble enough to admit without continuing to hone them, he’s fallen off to A level. 

Time marches on and we get older, slower and rustier without a lot of dedication and practice. 

20 hours ago, -JCN- said:

@GJM You should also know by now that I’m more interested in objective assessment than I am about feelings and stroking egos.

Doesn’t matter if Larry Bird was one of the best in his time to me if the current judgement / comparison / assessment is the state of affairs in 2021-2022. 

I’m not one for historical nostalgia. 

And to bring it back on topic, IDPA has done a terrible job of adapting to the times which is why USPSA is eating its lunch in terms of new blood and skill advancement. 

Karl Rehn has a very honest assessment of himself and how his skills have atrophied since making GM. He’s humble enough to admit without continuing to hone them, he’s fallen off to A level. 

Time marches on and we get older, slower and rustier without a lot of dedication and practice. 

As USPSA's equipment get's sillier and sillier with tungsten and brass hung off of everything IDPA starts to look more interesting. Of course that's what lead to IDPA becoming a thing in the first place. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, ADulay said:

Is this survey over or am I completely missing it on the web page over there?

AD

I just logged in and saw the "announcements" section post is still there about the survey. I'm guessing that means it's still going?

When logged in, look for the yellow bar between the header and the content.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, Racinready300ex said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with this information. I'm guessing we might have aiwb in a few months. 

What worries me is that there is no commentary there on the answers/results to the questions about whether or not AIWB should have a set of safety rules all on its own.  😕

I would strongly bet that the members said "NO!" to the idea of AIWB-only safety rules.....but since that wasn't reported (nothing about that question was reported) it worries me that IDPA might decide to add some anyway. 

1 hour ago, Thomas H said:

What worries me is that there is no commentary there on the answers/results to the questions about whether or not AIWB should have a set of safety rules all on its own.  😕

I would strongly bet that the members said "NO!" to the idea of AIWB-only safety rules.....but since that wasn't reported (nothing about that question was reported) it worries me that IDPA might decide to add some anyway. 

I could certainly see that happened

Flat footed reloads and 1 second per point down. That should tell you all you need to know about how it could be messed up.

I wrote a lengthy reply arguing against adding anything "extra" required of aiwb shooters.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I'm not a fan if AIWB for striker fired guns with novice and untrained shooters.  At a match multiply the number of LMR's and the number of unclassified, novice, and MM shooters and it's not a matter of if, but when there will be an ND.

Just my .02  

On 2/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, MHicks said:

What is off body holstering? Bagging a gun?

To.me of read as yanking your holster out of your pants, putting the gun in the holster off your body and then ramming your holster back in place. That's a super stupid idea imho