Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Member survey for AIWB holsters

BigJerm

Log into your IDPA account right now, there is a survey on allowing AIWB holsters in IDPA. Personally I would love to be able to actually shoot the “concealed carry” game with actual concealed carry guns and gear. I hope they stop stepping on their own dick by disallowing it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, BigJerm said:

Log into your IDPA account right now, there is a survey on allowing AIWB holsters in IDPA. Personally I would love to be able to actually shoot the “concealed carry” game with actual concealed carry guns and gear. I hope they stop stepping on their own dick by disallowing it.

Nice.  I'm surprised to see this come up.  I asked my area coordinator about AIWB and he replied "There is zero chance appendix will be allowed any time soon.".

I won't hold my breath but until this changes IDPA is just USPSA with a bunch of extra stupid rules.

27 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

And I see so many of those refined and expert USPSA shooters with bellybutton holsters under their tee shirts.  

Pretty sure Gabe White  made gm drawing from appendix and from cover....

3 hours ago, RJH said:

Pretty sure Gabe White  made gm drawing from appendix and from cover....

You are wrong. He made legacy M (current A level hit factors) shooting Limited with 9mm from concealed AIWB. 

Edited by -JCN-

1 minute ago, -JCN- said:

You are wrong. He made legacy M (current A level hit factors) shooting A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want from concealed AIWB. 

I stand corrected then LOL. Maybe Master is as high as you can get shooting from aiwb concealed. Seems like he was shooting minor though, in a Glock 34, or am I wrong on that one as well?

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

I stand corrected then LOL. Maybe Master is as high as you can get shooting from aiwb concealed. Seems like he was shooting minor though, in a Glock 34, or am I wrong on that one as well?

Who cares?  USPSA isn’t a concealment game. AIWB wouldn’t meaningfully change my stage time for a field course. 

You could make GM from AIWB concealed if you got the right classifiers. Unloaded table starts, turn draws, etc. 

Went on and voted yes except for this one:

Would you support holstering with the holster outside the pants after the LAMR command? (then seating the holster in the proper position, concealing it, and assuming the start position?)

That's just stupid, and likely to be more dangerous than simply having the shooter holster. I also added that holstering an unsafe gun should be a DQ in IDPA across the board like it is in USPSA; if safety is really your concern, it's bonkers to me that someone who shoves a non-safed 1911 into a holster simply has to take it out and click the safety on to continue.

This doesn't help me any but I'm all about expanding options for the sport. I AIWB carry in daily life (even with my revos) but when I shoot revolver in IDPA, the vest is a much faster option when reloading than pulling my shirt out of the way.

Edited by matteekay

18 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

Who cares?  

Idk, maybe the op. He seems to want to aiwb and I was pointing out he could do that in USPSA, just in case he didn't know 

Also maybe Jim Watson didn't know you could, in fact, shot fast and at a high level in USPSA from aiwb, so I pointed out that it was possible 

Other than that, probably nobody

17 minutes ago, RJH said:

Idk, maybe the op. He seems to want to aiwb and I was pointing out he could do that in USPSA, just in case he didn't know 

Also maybe Jim Watson didn't know you could, in fact, shot fast and at a high level in USPSA from aiwb, so I pointed out that it was possible 

The “who cares” part was about concealment in USPSA. 

AIWB is completely viable. That’s the way I carry and do Timmy drills. 

There’s no reason to think it wouldn’t be viable on a field course. 

Frangible ammo if you were wondering. 

Edited by -JCN-

3 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

The “who cares” part was about concealment in USPSA. 

AIWB is completely viable. That’s the way I carry and do Timmy drills. 

There’s no reason to think it wouldn’t be viable on a field course. 

👍

4 minutes ago, matteekay said:

If it was good enough for "Miami Vice", surely it's good enough for IDPA.

This was my submission for that challenge. 

1.35 seconds for a Mozambique from concealment. AIWB for me. Wearing gloves. 

This was the start position:

479D65F5-1663-4EFA-9A17-049E57C3E4EF.thumb.jpeg.7969e4dcb92cbb7c7293315bb7c758e4.jpeg

Edited by -JCN-

I do not want to shoot AIWB.  I was once swept by an AIWB which prejudices me.  

I did not know you could draw that fast from a real concealment AIWB.

I do know that when USPSA was mostly still IPSC speed holsters were worn well to the front because a common starting position was with hands clasped in front of body.  I had and used one of those steel lined jobs that way at the time, but later went to an open front at 3:00.  Not up to the current skeleton rigs, but definitely purpose built.

I am sorry I posted.  I thought this was the IDPA section and members would be interested in the survey.

Wrong, it is just another soapbox for "USPSA is better."  

12 hours ago, matteekay said:

Went on and voted yes except for this one:

That's just stupid, and likely to be more dangerous than simply having the shooter holster. I also added that holstering an unsafe gun should be a DQ in IDPA across the board like it is in USPSA; if safety is really your concern, it's bonkers to me that someone who shoves a non-safed 1911 into a holster simply has to take it out and click the safety on to continue.

This doesn't help me any but I'm all about expanding options for the sport. I AIWB carry in daily life (even with my revos) but when I shoot revolver in IDPA, the vest is a much faster option when reloading than pulling my shirt out of the way.

My buddy told me about the survey, shocked to hear this I went to vote. I just listened to a podcast with Joyce saying this wasn't going to happen due to safety concerns. I think the podcast was recorded at Nat's, so it's not that old. What changed?

My guess was this question might be what they are thinking will be a work around for making it safer. So I'm going out on a limb and saying it's either going to include this or not happen. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

If it happens it'll be interesting to see the effect it has on equipment people use and turn out at matches.

I'm guessing a majors most people are still going to run a vest and OWB rig. But, from the posts I see online we should see a lot of guys dropping their gamer guns for the gun they EDC. It could make the game more interesting. 

14 hours ago, matteekay said:

Totally agree, I deselected that one as well.

14 hours ago, RJH said:

You are right - I do (and many others) want this in IDPA.

I have shot USPSA from AIWB before just for s#!ts and giggles. But normally I don't. In general I'd rather shoot USPSA the way you're supposed to do it, with competition guns and gear.

To me - USPSA is where you shoot competition gear.

IDPA should be (according to their own stated mission) where "real world" (their words) gear fits in.

Edited by BigJerm

15 hours ago, RJH said:

I would guess that his decision to shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want was the limiting factor.

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Except Jim Z was a USPSA guy....... But then IDPA didn't exist when that episode was filmed.

None the less, I would vote for aiwb in IDPA. I would actually probably go back to shooting it if so.

I feel the same way.

Sounds like you're not a member anymore, but if you are, go vote!

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

What changed?

I have no idea. I was extremely surprised to hear this survey is going on because of Joyce's hard-line stance on the matter.

What's even more interesting is that there's been basically no communication about the survey. No email from IDPA - nobody seems to know about it.

I'm wondering if there's some thus-far unseen politics going on among the leadership.

3 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

I do not want to shoot AIWB.  I was once swept by an AIWB which prejudices me.  

If you haven't been swept by every flavor of firearm in every configuration - are you even trying? ;) 

Hell, I've been swept by PCC's after the CoF ended. That was just straight hijinks.