Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 vs. 35 Open Build

TheSouthernMarksman

Does the length matter for an open build? I have a 35 I’m planning to turn into an open gun. Before I order the threaded barrel an comp, I was just curious on the Forum’s thoughts. 

Right now the 35 has a Timney Trigger, Carver Magwell. Extended Controls, Beavertail, SJC Frame Weight and frame mounted optic. I can pick up an already lightened slide for less than milling then 35, and it won’t be so crazy long. 

background: Steel Challenge shooter turning USPSA geek. SC gun is a hi-cap 1911 that’s being converted to 38 Super, but barrel fitting takes time. So, for now just goofing with the 35. 

I've been screwing around with a .40 Open Glock of late. I ran a 22 slide for the match I shot with it last year, and am planning on moving to a 35-length slide once all my parts come in. I don't think it makes a big difference. The 22 size is more akin to the current vogue in 2011s, but since I'm working with 3D-printed frames, I think the longer slide will help me stop breaking guns.

I'd strongly recommend a barrel/compensator combo with a flat and a set screw. I'm running the SJC compensator, and it works loose almost immediately no matter what I try to secure it with. (Some of that may have to do with the Wolff uncaptured guide rod, which seems to hit the bottom of the compensator sometimes, though.)

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'd probably go 22. You shouldn't need the extra barrel length to make Pf. So why have a gun the length of a battle ship?

That was my thinking, with the SJC Comp, the gun would be like wielding a damn sword! So I’ve ordered all the parts to make it a 22 open gun. Now I just need to find a race holster that works with the SJC frame weight.

I would go 22. If for no other reason then the shorter barrel ought to give you a little more excess gas to work the comp, and with a 40 you're already going to be short on that gas. I could be wrong though

On 12/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, Racinready300ex said:

I'd probably go 22. You shouldn't need the extra barrel length to make Pf. So why have a gun the length of a battle ship?

this. I did the g35 open gun thing, and had a 5” para 16-40 open gun with a 2.5” long comp. Those were some looooooong pistols. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere on here before that people were having issues with the longer slides cycling. I believe they said it was cycling slower than something like the G17. I only remember this because I was looking to get a G34 to build a entry open gun and saw the overwhelming amount of reviews saying to use the G17 platform. It solidified my decision. If I find the link, I’ll shoot it your way.