Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex vs Timney triggers?

Cuz

In the last couple of years I’ve switched to Apex Action Enhancement kits in a couple of Glocks and like them a lot. 
I recently picked up a new Gen5 to setup as a primary/backup competition Gun and was considering trying the Timney, but I’ve never tried one, and quite frankly, am getting deterred by the number of people having issues and needing to tweak theirs to get them working. 

Can someone who has or had both compare them for me and explain how they are the same or different?  Does the trigger pull feel the same?

Thanks. 

I have both.

Apex is just another glock trigger imo.  Principal is still the same like rest of glock triggers out there.  Still rely on a weaker striker spring to achieve a lower pull weight.  That can cause light primer strikes with harder primers.

My Timney has no issues with CCI primers, berdan primers or even small rifle primers.  That right there makes it worthwhile even if I have to do a little troubleshooting.

Thanks.  Does anyone know of a video anywhere that shows how the Timney trigger works?

Also, I normally run a lighter, 13 lb recoil spring in my glocks, do you think that could end up being a problem with a stock (5.5 lb) striker spring?  Will you have to worry about the slide going into battery?

49 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks.  Does anyone know of a video anywhere that shows how the Timney trigger works?

Also, I normally run a lighter, 13 lb recoil spring in my glocks, do you think that could end up being a problem with a stock (5.5 lb) striker spring?  Will you have to worry about the slide going into battery?

Nope  I run 13 lb with 4.5 striker, zero issues, normal load  in my powder puff steel load 11 pound with 4 pound, again zero issues  fed or winn primer with 130 and 110 pf glock 34     

9 hours ago, Cuz said:

In the last couple of years I’ve switched to Apex Action Enhancement kits in a couple of Glocks and like them a lot. 
I recently picked up a new Gen5 to setup as a primary/backup competition Gun and was considering trying the Timney, but I’ve never tried one, and quite frankly, am getting deterred by the number of people having issues and needing to tweak theirs to get them working. 

Can someone who has or had both compare them for me and explain how they are the same or different?  Does the trigger pull feel the same?

Thanks. 

It’s not necessarily that the Timney requires tweaking to work. A lot of the issues with sticky reset has always been there, they were just masked by having the striker spring forcing the trigger through the binding of the trigger bar rubbing the frame/connector with to much tension.

Once I figured that out and made people aware, there were still doubters saying excess connector tension could not cause a sticky reset because the slide cut pushes the connector away and it wouldnt be possible. But those people forget that not every gun/connector is the say. Quite a few people have commented that tuning the connector solved their reset problem. Timney later posted a video saying that excess tension could cause binding.

Compared to a regular Glock trigger system, the Timney pull is much different. The Timneys pre-travel is just pushing against the return spring weight which is much much lighter since you are not moving the striker to the rear. The striker is held by the sear in the Timneys trigger at the fully cocked position. Once you reach the wall, pulling through can have a glass like break to rolling break depending on your connector. The OEM connector has a 1911 glass rod break at about 3 pounds. - connectors are easily sub 2.5 pounds with just a slight hint of a rolling break, this all depends on what connector you have. All my connectors have a different feel and break point.

Heres my Timney with a Zev - connector and the light return spring. Not a hint of sticky reset at all.

Wow, nice body of work TT!!!   You are like a missionary, patiently administering to the pagan flock.

Bottom line, there is nothing out there now that even comes minutely close to the performance and quality characteristics of the Timney Alpha.

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

That shouldn't be an issue, as I said the Timney is not the typical glock trigger.  As tt350z stated with the Timney the striker is fully cocked, not pre-cock like a traditional glock trigger system 

I've had the gen 5 one since release and it's been great. Converted a lot of people to them as well from other triggers as it really is a completely different trigger.

I tuned my stock dot connect just slightly and have a nice crisp break at 3 lbs

On 12/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, sandflea316 said:

Also many people, myself included have reported a lower pull weight than the advertised 3 lb.  

I have just under 3lb as well. 

I'm an early adopter of the Timney, and later bought a second one. So I did have reset issues, and eventually got through it on my own. For me, it came down to just keeping everything clean, grease and lube it up when installing, and once a few range sessions were behind me I don't notice it as an issue anymore. 

Then, I got a second one, not in a rush, and ended up being one of the production that came with TWO return springs. So I was impressed. They were listening to customers and at the very least tried to offer a solution. When I installed the second one I had my previous lessons behind me, and everything seemed to go in just fine first time around. 

I will go on to echo what most here are saying, for all its faults (in my opinion the trigger shoe lacks sufficient preset adjustment) it is by far the best product out there that reduces trigger weight drastically without compromising striker strength. 

I have been having some light strikes with Wolf Small RIFLE Primers while using a 6lb striker spring, but I wont blame Timney for that. It's the only primers that have been giving me any problems.