Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Which is more important - speed, or accuracy?"

UpYoursPal

6 hours ago, shred said:

Nationals in Utah, head-to-head-- Major Open vs Minor PCC,  Open Major wins the combined.  Next Nats, CO vs Limited.  Limited Major wins the combined.

And as for speed vs accuracy.. The latest super-hoser USPSA classifier has a HHF of about 15 in CO (yeep!)  Throwing a miss at that HF is still going to cost a second versus hitting an alpha, but points are only about 0.07 sec ea.

On 21-01, though, the Limited HHF is a little lower than the CO HHF.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

We all know that great speed without decent accuracy loses, and great accuracy without decent speed loses.

Is it a toss-up?

The people I've seen progress up the classes the fastest have been speed-obsessed.  Based on that, I'll lean toward speed being more important.

If you were presented with 2 shooters, equal in all ways but one was more comfortable at speed and the other was more comfortable with accuracy, and it was your job to make them the best competitor possible which could you take further and easier?

The guy more comfortable with speed. Speed is harder to develop than accuracy so speed is more valuable when looking at personal traits, not comparing practiscore data.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

The guy more comfortable with speed. Speed is harder to develop than accuracy so speed is more valuable when looking at personal traits, not comparing practiscore data.

All you get is a "better competitor" faster. The other guys may surpass him in a long run when his speed catches up and accuracy improves even more. :)

1 hour ago, euxx said:

All you get is a "better competitor" faster. The other guys may surpass him in a long run when his speed catches up and accuracy improves even more. :)

The faster you get better, I think odds are you'll go farther in the sport. Not always the case. But if most people stick around for 2 years the guy who gets good in 2 years will be the best. If you're in it for the long haul, you can take your time getting where you want to be. 

There is also a thing where people who have to work harder tend to go farther. Probably because they're more dedicated, and the person who it comes easy to might never really put in the work to get really good. 

From what I've seen the naturally fast guy will out pace the accurate guys. Those fast guys can shoot up in classification vary fast even with poor hits. The slow guys can catch up but it takes them time to get there. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

But if most people stick around for 2 years the guy who gets good in 2 years will be the best.

people who have to work harder tend to go farther. Probably because they're more dedicated,

Usually those two are both the case.

...The slow guys can catch up but it takes them time to get there. 

That's what I said.

Look at JJ and Lesgar. They both are fast, but they been beaten by other guys more or less for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Fast if they never work on accuracy is not a great strategy. 

But if they’re working on their game, they only have to set one mental cadence / map with gear changes and then work the accuracy up to that one visualization. 

I’ve been working on my PCC game for one month. 

Two weeks ago, I shot an A level initial classifier with a miss on each of the four stages. One of the stages was an 83% with a miss…

So speed without accuracy. 

But I could just lock down my timing and work the movement and recoil management to match that. 

0.15-18 splits on 15 yard alphas was the goal and sub-20 close transitions. 

Last weekend took first and had a 93% classifier. 

E86B2993-0053-4A78-AB14-9F1343639AEF.jpeg.c70dba1a10bcec178e797b0ba1ede36a.jpegA7984E86-C647-4697-836B-D180DE334AF0.thumb.jpeg.fcbd8f34c956ea629d2d57d9e83a5608.jpeg

So now I’m fast AND accurate. 

But I prefer fast and improve accuracy as a train up strategy. 

That’s after a month of work. 

I don’t have to change my speed, I can just keep working on accuracy and in another month of work I expect to be even better. 

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Where are all these "slow guys that caught up eventually"?  I think that is an exceedingly rare person.  We all know lots of the fast people that moved through the classes quickly.    

They're out there. But, most guys will quit before they catch up.

Edit, We're out there lol. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

• 1 month later...