Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

23 Rounds with TTI Basepads?

hermes_actual

I get 23plus 1 with a 12 coil spring. Depending on stage design I ‘ll start with that combo. Otherwise I load 22plus 1 for all other starts and reloads. If your springs are new they might take awhile to seat. Another trick I use is if you use a lula loader “bounce it up and down” to seat bullets.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:38 PM, rooster said:

I get 23plus 1 with a 12 coil spring. Depending on stage design I ‘ll start with that combo. Otherwise I load 22plus 1 for all other starts and reloads. If your springs are new they might take awhile to seat. Another trick I use is if you use a lula loader “bounce it up and down” to seat bullets.

I do use a Maglula. I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but I tried pressing down harder on the 23 round while it sat on top of the loader ramp. I held downward pressure while allowing the loader ramp to open and the round seated!

Edited by hermes_actual

I use the TTI +10% spring that comes with the base pads and stock gen 5 follower. 

I can get 23 in the magazine , if I try 23+1 I’ll have a malfunction 95% of the time. I just stick to 23 in my make ready magazine. My reload mag is 22 so it’s easy to reload. There’s been some stages where it’s 24 round count and yea it would be nice not to reload but I don’t risk it. I’ve heard the mbx mags run 24 reliably, but they’re too pricey for me. 

when I got the base pads, I loaded them to 22 and let them sit for 48 hours, after that I was able to get to 23. 

Don't have TTI extensions on my Glock, but on my M&P they hold 23 and are easily reloadable. Same gun and Taylor Freelance brass extension also holds 23, and is easily reloadable.

On my Glock, I have some old Arredondo extensions that hold 23 and are easily reloadable.

I get 23 rounds reloadable all eight of my mags.  All the mags are new style with the orange follower and TTI extensions.  It took about a month of use before the spring relaxed enough for this to happen.

4 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Seems to be a theme around the internet that Arredondos are the only ones routinely capable of that.  Might have to pick one up to see for myself.

I had a Dawson extension that would hold 23, but getting it into the gun with the slide forward was a royal pain. The brass Taylor Freelance extension I have for Glock mags would take 23 rounds, but wouldn't go into the gun at all. These are on old Glock mags with old springs.

With my TTI extensions it doesn't seem to matter if they are extremely used or brand new springs.  23+1 is very hard to run reliably with a 15lb spring.  I generally end up with FTE or my mag just never seats and falls out.

I also don't reliably get slide lock after putting on the extensions.  So I plan reloads with a little safety net as well.

I've got 2 TTI's on Gen 5 mags that are good for 23+1. They use the springs that came with basepads.  Most springs don't take a set under a constant load. I "cycled" mine 12-15 times each loading them to 20 and then unloading them. One seats easier than the other, and I wouldn't consider either of them as a 23 round reload option.  I use mags with Dawson pads loaded to 20 unless I need/want 23+1.

If you're using TTI basepads, make sure you gauge them.  I had grind the retaining pins to make mine fit the gauge.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, robertg5322 said:

I had a Dawson extension that would hold 23, but getting it into the gun with the slide forward was a royal pain. The brass Taylor Freelance extension I have for Glock mags would take 23 rounds, but wouldn't go into the gun at all. These are on old Glock mags with old springs.

Were you able to get the brass TFs to ever work? I was looking at picking up a couple to try, I already have some Dawson's.

14 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Were you able to get the brass TFs to ever work? I was looking at picking up a couple to try, I already have some Dawson's.

The one I have works fine, but only holds 22 rounds. Same with the Dawson units.

On a .40 S&W mag, they'll both hold 20 and be reloadable, same as the Arredondos on a .40 S&W mag.

14 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

The one I have works fine, but only holds 22 rounds. Same with the Dawson units.

On a .40 S&W mag, they'll both hold 20 and be reloadable, same as the Arredondos on a .40 S&W mag.

I'm just looking at the brass ones for added weight, I love my Dawson's and don't mind 22 vs 23 as it rarely makes a difference.

I can get 23 in all 6 of mine with the included spring and stock follower, I have to use a mag loader for the last round.  This is only for start, reloads I usually put in 21 as 23 you have to beat in there to lock in.