Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dots are Dying

Balakay

I have broken 2 Romeo3XLs on my Czechmates. First one lasted about 5k rounds and started drifting vertically. First noticed in a match and then re-zeroed at the start of a practice session and was hitting 8" high again after 150 rounds. Sig said they couldn't reproduce at the factory but sent me a new one.

Second one had no more than 3k rounds on it and broke during a major match; Sig confirmed the diode was completely detached from the adjustment chassis (this one also had some button issues like others have mentioned). Both times Sig has had a replacement at my door within a week of their receiving the original, but I will likely switch to a different brand if I have another fail at relatively low round count. Current two are at ~2k and <500 rounds. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like if I have button issues but no dot issues then stick with it. I have 2 romeo 3 max's one is a 6moa the other is a 3moa, both have button issues. The 3 moa has close to 20k rounds on it, and followed me from CO to frame mounted on my open gun, the 6 only has about 5k through it and it randomly shut off in the middle of a stage at nationals. I don't get the feeling that any one dot manufacturer is going to be vastly superior in reliability than the others.

21 hours ago, trsrt8 said:

Sounds like if I have button issues but no dot issues then stick with it.

They will warranty it for the button issue alone, I believe. Turnaround was very quick for both mine that went back. 

21 hours ago, trsrt8 said:

it randomly shut off in the middle of a stage at nationals

Did you swap the battery? The batteries from the factory don't seem to get as many hours as they claim. I've had three of mine turn off when battery was dying but dot would intermittently come back; swapping to a fresh battery always fixed it. Swapping batteries is a mandatory preventative maintenance thing for any major match IMO. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, regor said:

Did you swap the battery? The batteries from the factory don't seem to get as many hours as they claim. I've had three of mine turn off when battery was dying but dot would intermittently come back; swapping to a fresh battery always fixed it. Swapping batteries is a mandatory preventative maintenance thing for any major match IMO. 

Yeah, I put a brand new battery in just before nationals and left the dot off. Regarding your warranty replacement have they sorted out the button issues on the newer dots they are sending out or are you having button issues on your replacement after a while? I had hoped to wait out a warranty replacement with button issues in hopes that they fix the issue and ship out new dots that are flawless.

13 hours ago, trsrt8 said:

Yeah, I put a brand new battery in just before nationals and left the dot off. Regarding your warranty replacement have they sorted out the button issues on the newer dots they are sending out or are you having button issues on your replacement after a while? I had hoped to wait out a warranty replacement with button issues in hopes that they fix the issue and ship out new dots that are flawless.

I have not had button issues with either of the new ones, but they have low round counts. Maybe 3k on the primary and a couple hundred on the backup. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:53 PM, Balakay said:

I am happy to report that after 2 weeks and 1200 rounds, the new Romeo 3 Max dot is perfect, but..... the down button does not work.  Stuck at max intensity.

Be gone, Romeo !

Oh my Bruce. What you have experienced is insane. Hope you find some trouble free optics soon. 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:53 PM, Balakay said:

I am happy to report that after 2 weeks and 1200 rounds, the new Romeo 3 Max dot is perfect, but..... the down button does not work.  Stuck at max intensity.

Be gone, Romeo !

At this rate a special cemetery should be opened for these red dots😉

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just throwing out a few comments based on my experience with running red dots in USPSA CO for the past 6 years.  If you read enough reviews, and talk to enough people, you will find that ALL DOTS have problems regardless of who makes them.  Read as many reviews and opinions as you can find from users to get a general sense of reliability, but understand that these are anecdotal and performance for the dots you own can vary.  Most important thing in my opinion is make sure the company you pick has a good track record with customer service and warranty.  Also, buy a primary unit and at least one or two for backup so if you need to replace one you have a standby sitting on the shelf.

For major matches, I bring both a primary and backup gun with red dots mounted and set up to feel and perform exactly the same.  I also have one or two spare red dots at home.

I have a SRO that’s mounted to a plate on my Stock2. After 28,000 rounds I’ve replaced the plate 3 times, the batteries twice (first was 2 months after getting the dot and the next 2 years later) and still going strong. I bought another Stock2 used that came with 2 Sig romeo1 dots. Each had some problem and I returned one at a time and Sig replaced them with new ones. These are backups to the SRO so take that for what you want. I run a RMR on my open gun on a frame mount but this only has about 5,000 rounds through it without any issues. 

Edited by N7VY

Four Trijicon slide mounted dots here, two RMRs and two SROs.

I stopped keeping track after about 10-12,000 rounds.  Not a single failure among any of them.  The highest use SRO also got dropped on gravel pretty hard at the 2021 Buckeye Blast, didn't even shift zero in the slightest.

Anything can break.  I'm convinced Trijicon products, in the aggregate, are the toughest, best made, and most reliable.

• 4 weeks later...

Romeo 3 Max's have done ok on frame mount major PF open guns for me.  Not so much on slide-mount minor PF CO guns.

SROs have been solid on slide mounts so far.

But, there is a reason 5 years ago everyone in Open ran the big C-mores, and it wasn't for the fabulous ergonomics; the Aimpoint Comp was way better for that, but they'd break too often.

1 minute ago, yekcoh said:

Try Trijicon SRO. I've seen Sig optics die at matches. Never seen SRO die

SRO is great. Only issue I have ever had was the dreaded double dot during an early morning stage into the sun at a major.

19 minutes ago, Posvar said:

SRO is great. Only issue I have ever had was the dreaded double dot during an early morning stage into the sun at a major.

that is definitely a downside but there are ways to get around that issue. But it's better than a dot going out during run

26 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

that is definitely a downside but there are ways to get around that issue. But it's better than a dot going out during run

Do you mind sharing your technique?

4 hours ago, Posvar said:

Do you mind sharing your technique?

I've learned this at nats. During Dawn or dusk, when your optic faces in the direction of the sun, 

you can either

1. make target paste hoods like a baseball cap to minimize sun exposure; this is my choice.

2. cover up the front of the optic in which you can still see the dot. Others have done.

21 minutes ago, yekcoh said:

I've learned this at nats. During Dawn or dusk, when your optic faces in the direction of the sun, 

you can either

1. make target paste hoods like a baseball cap to minimize sun exposure; this is my choice.

2. cover up the front of the optic in which you can still see the dot. Others have done.

Thanks. 

After trying literally everything, the only dot I have never had go down or fail in some way was a Cmore slide ride - that aside, the most reliable microdots in my opinion are the SRO and latest RTS2.  I had an early production SRO that died at random, during dry fire - Trijicon replaced it quickly and without drama.  I have 2x 2.5 MOAs mounted on CO guns and they are going strong.

I have had a few of the latest RTS2 and none have died as far as the dot, but I have had issues with the glass.  On one, the glass came loose and on the other, there was a small crack in the bottom right corner.  Cmore also replaced these with no questions asked.