Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prize Table Marketplace

Bw3375

First time posting here, and not sure if I'll get banned or slapped on the wrist for something I recently posted in classifieds. BUT... I get really frustrated with the prize table marketplace/classified resellers of prize table winnings.

I have been in competitive shooting for a few years at this point, but it hasn't been until this past year that I've had the luxury and honor of walking prize tables. Out of the few prize tables I have been fortunate to walk this year (2021), I attribute that luck to the lack of ammunition and the other issues going on, and my keen ability to circumvent those issues, political and financial.

For the prize tables I had the extreme pleasure and absolute joy to walk, I always picked up something I NEEDED or WANTED. For the one prize table that was a random draw, I sought out people that wanted to trade or NEEDED the items I won. I still have random winnings I don't know what to do with, but an opportunity will present itself. 

Call me naive, as much as I love prize tables, I don't chase prize tables. 

Something I hate is coming onto forums and seeing prize table winnings being sold for extreme prices. I stumble across prize table winnings after a major match that people expect full price for. How about this, instead of haggling with a complete stranger on the internet, paying for shipping and whatever additional fees he/she may want, or worrying about a f

Gift Card/certificate that expires in 30 days or less, I'll just go direct to a well known website or my LGS and pay the same or nearly the same price as what some internet rando is asking....

I have stood in at least two prize tables this year where I was behind someone, wanting to pick up what they were eyeballing. They were eyeballing that product saying "I can sell this for a lot of money".  Meanwhile, in my head, I'm hoping they skip it so I can pick the item up to use on a firearm or use it in a competition. That's pretty disheartening. 

I understand people want to pick something up to earn their entry fees back through selling it. And I don't expect anything to be sold for pennies on the dollar. Heck, I have two prize table winning I'm trying to offload right now, but I'd rather TRADE it to someone for something I need than sell it. 

I only hope that one day, in all disciplines of competitive shooting, that competitors will consider "paying it forward" or "take care of others" with their prize table winnings. That doesn't mean give the items away for free, but consider other avenues of offloading them. If you win an item, maybe consider a trade of something that is of equal or greater value that a new or new-ish shooter might NEED.... if it weren't for shooter's like that in my area when I first started showing an interest in competitive shooting, I wouldn't have gotten into this sport I call a hobby, but which I love.

Just my .2 cents on the matter

Thanks for your time,

Brandon

I’ve walked a few prize tables too - sadly later than most - if there is something I need I grab it. If I can’t see anything I need then I grab something good and give it away to someone who does need it.

There are quite a few people that have done the same, including a couple of big name shooters.

There is a special place on this forum for people offering Free Stuff

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :) Hate Forum Rules  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/8097-hate-forum-guidelines[note: this is a generic reply]