Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Velocity for 4.7 grns WSF and BBI 125 grn 9mm

shootinsteel

Just wondering what velocity you may be getting with 4.7 grns WSF and BBI moly coated 125 grn RN at 1.120" OAL? Shooting a 9mm BUL 5" Classic Target 1911. I just bought a Caldwell chronograph (only one I could find in stock at the time) and was surprised at the numbers I got from it. If I can find someone at the range with one I'll try and compare them back to back to see if mine is off the charts. The Hodgdon website said that combination should be about 1,055 fps but I got about 1,200 fps. The load was very consistent, sd of 12. Tried several 10 shot groups with the same results. It was a clear, sunny day, 45 degrees, and the muzzle was 15 ft. from the front screen of the chronograph. If that velocity is correct my PF would be 150, I was hoping to be around 130 to 135 which the 1,055 fps would have been 131. Obviously I can start reducing the powder charge to get to where I want to be but wanted to know what numbers someone else might be seeing with this combination before I do.

Thanks for any help,

Shootinsteel.

Yeah that is higher than I would have expected.

I don't have any current load data.

I have a spreadsheet from about 8 years ago that shows I got around 1050 at 4.7 with a 124 FMJ.

Coated would have been a little faster most likely but not 150 fps.

4.7 gr. Is max load for a 124 gr lead bullet and wsf.

I'd back that down till it get to the 130-135 power factor range.

The test results that hondgons has

Was done with a 4 inch barrel so it makes sense that is running faster out of a 5 inch barrel but maybe not a 150 fps faster 🤔 

A .355" lead rn at 1.169 oal hits 1055fps at 4.7gr.

You're using a .356" at way shorter, 1.120". Makes sense yours run faster! I'd pull your charge back a few tenths and quadruple check your data when loading, that oal difference is very significant.