Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glossary and vocabulary

Emilio

This subject is about terms of the shooting sport. May be it is easy for you, american native speakers, but often for me, terms seems to be misunderstood, partially or completely.

So, please forgive my dummy questions and just enlighten me !

My first question is about "cold range". I see the term in some documentation. I understood it as the guns must be unloaded in the defined area. Is this correct ? And if we can also name the safety area, how would you call the place where we have to shoot ? The hot range ?

3 hours ago, Emilio said:

This subject is about terms of the shooting sport. May be it is easy for you, american native speakers, but often for me, terms seems to be misunderstood, partially or completely.

My first question is about "cold range". I see the term in some documentation. I understood it as the guns must be unloaded in the defined area. Is this correct ? And if we can also name the safety area, how would you call the place where we have to shoot ? The hot range ?

In AMERICAN terms cold range means you can not bring a loaded gun such as concealed carry onto the range. Unloading stations are provided so we can safely and legally clear the guns prior to starting a match.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

In AMERICAN terms cold range means you can not bring a loaded gun such as concealed carry onto the range. Unloading stations are provided so we can safely and legally clear the guns prior to starting a match.

Hi Sarge, thank you for the clarification !

In the same way, another dummy question for some of you... The definition of "aiming" is aligning the barrel at the target. Does the term understanding include the eyes ?

I mean, when is shooting at a target without aligning the sights with the eye (point shooting) is this considered as aiming, or not ?

Type 1.png

To me, not looking a rule book, a "cold range" is one where you are only allowed to have a loaded firearm under someone else's direction. Whereas a "hot range" is one where persons might have a loaded firearm and not be under direct control of another person. A range is cold because there are no loaded guns without direct observation and direction.

In the competitive setting these terms might have slightly different meanings.

To your second question, the eyes are being used as they are looking at the target while the gun is pointed at what the eyes are looking due to a person's proprioceptive sense of self. Can you aim a gun without the sights being directly aligned in front of your face? Yes.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Emilio said:

My first question is about "cold range". I see the term in some documentation. I understood it as the guns must be unloaded in the defined area. Is this correct ? And if we can also name the safety area, how would you call the place where we have to shoot ? Thnd btw, i e hot range ?

Sarge answered you correctly. And btw i don't think there's dummy questions. Literally, asking question is one of the fastest way to learn. So no dummy question..