Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between Sig 320 21 round Italian and USA mags ?

hkvp9

• 3 weeks later...

My made in the USA mags (with circular slot in the basepad) would not fit the 140 mag gauge with extensions.  Other than that, nothing. 

Note, these were 17 rd mags, not 21.

Edited by Nuncles

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 9:49 PM, Nuncles said:

My made in the USA mags (with circular slot in the basepad) would not fit the 140 mag gauge with extensions.  Other than that, nothing. 

Note, these were 17 rd mags, not 21.

Just curious, we’re they off by a lot? I have both (US and Italian) but haven’t bought a gauge yet to verify their fit. Also, with what base pads? My TTI pads have the slightest amount of “play” in them where I saw you can take out by hammering the lips down slightly but it doesn’t appear to be enough to make a difference if any at all 

1 hour ago, X5SigChris said:

Just curious, we’re they off by a lot? I have both (US and Italian) but haven’t bought a gauge yet to verify their fit. Also, with what base pads? My TTI pads have the slightest amount of “play” in them where I saw you can take out by hammering the lips down slightly but it doesn’t appear to be enough to make a difference if any at all 

It wasn't a lot but enough to fail the gauge.  They were TTI extensions.

Just now, X5SigChris said:

Interesting. Guess I’ll be ordering a gauge tonight to check mine before I buy more. Thanks for the reply. 

They are probably the same but I think the official USPSA gauge is the one from EGW.  I accidentally bought the Double Alpha one.  To me the EGW is easier to use and would recommend it over the DA.

16 minutes ago, Nuncles said:

They are probably the same but I think the official USPSA gauge is the one from EGW.  I accidentally bought the Double Alpha one.  To me the EGW is easier to use and would recommend it over the DA.

I was actually just looking at that and saw that EGW was the official one. I was going to grab springers since I was going to order a couple parts from them but in big bold letters they stated theirs was not official. I sure would hate to spend the same exact amount of money for a gauge that got me stuck in open division

The 21rds should clear. They are Italy. My buddies 17rd USA didn't fit the gauge. I have yet to test mine. But I also have 4-5 21rders so I am not too worried unless I shoot Level 2 or higher.

I am going to purchase 2 17rd italy ones and compare because I have two TTI extensions laying around.

34 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

The 21rds should clear. They are Italy. My buddies 17rd USA didn't fit the gauge. I have yet to test mine. But I also have 4-5 21rders so I am not too worried unless I shoot Level 2 or higher.

I am going to purchase 2 17rd italy ones and compare because I have two TTI extensions laying around.

I’ve read that here before that the 21 rounders with TTI base pads fit much better. Some have even said that they load to 22 (23 with grams) easier as well. I just ordered one 21 to see for myself. Im sure “luck of the draw” comes into play as well

• 4 weeks later...

Got four Italy made 21 round mags with my Sig Max. None fit the EGW gauge with stock basepads. Bought two TTI extensions and Grams followers & springs, hold 23 easily reloadable, but don't fit the gauge. They don't miss fitting the gauge by much, they can probably be made to fit with a little judicious sanding, but still annoying. And not fitting with the stock basepads is just ridiculous.

Bought two Springer Precision extensions and Grams springs & follower kits. Both hold 23, are easily reloadable, and fit the gauge. Best part is the Springer units are cheaper  than the TTI.

I wish I knew how to upload my pictures to better show what I mean but oh well. I wanted to upload a bunch to show where my USA vs Italian mags fit in the gauge and 17 vs 21 with base pads (TTI). 

Like most said before, they just barely don’t fit. But from what I understand, the rules state that minimal pressure can be placed in the mag to seat them (haven’t personally verified this yet). But a video with the NROI president and former USPSA president they mention this method too. If that is the case, my mags should work but it’s subject to interpretation.

one 17 round tube I tried to bend the ear back slightly to make up the difference. No luck in really clearing the gauge better.