Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP U die ?

Sarge

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

If I had a gun that finicky I’d sell it.

Who do you sell such a thing to?  Find a sucker or sell "with full disclosure" to somebody who thinks he can solve problems you can't?

And this gun is kind of an oddball, built for one job, pushed into another; I don't know who would want it even if fully reliable.

Maybe part it out, the individual bits seem ok, they just aren't playing well together.  I'll talk to the gunsmith about that.

I had the same question about the .45acp U die.  I've never had bullet set back with my glock 21 and M&P 45's but when I got a 1911 without ramp barrel I started seeing bullet setback.  I'm using Lee tapper crimp die.  I should say that the bullets that Im having issues with are powder coated bullets.  ACME 230gr coated red.

230 FMJ's I don't have issues with setback.   I guess because they feed better.  Smoother feeding that is.

The setback is around .006 to .010.   I've done some looking around and others have complained about setback with 1911's.  

• 3 months later...

I utilize the U-Die on all semi-automatic pistol cartridge's they are available for.   I have uncovered it aids in feed reliability and mitigates bullet set back.   Especially with once fired range pick up brass.   I have been using it for 45 ACP, shooting single stack over the last year, and reliability has improved significantly.  No hard data, but no adjustment on the extractor, etc.  has been necessary over the last 5000 rounds or so of 45 ACP.   I have also noticed more consistent bullet seating depth and  minimal set back after feeding into the chamber.  I also use the Lee factory crimp die.   Primary been shooting 230 grain FMJ over the last two years.

Not for everybody, but it works for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I load 45 ACP on a 550. No where  near as much as you guys. I have picked up some things that have kept me out of trouble. One basic for me is to use Dillon sizing dies If using a Dillon powder measure. I did have some minor sticking problems related to the powder funnel/expander. I found out the Dillon had an improved 45 ACP funnel that is shorter. Problems with sticking went away. Mating sizing die and new powder funnel ended problems. 

Finally, I use an elderly C&H taper crimp die. I like these dies because of ease of adjustment.. I use  200gr. RCBS personally cast lead SWC bullet. Feeds good and is extremely accurate. These rounds were used mostly for informal Bullseye matches.  These loads run flawlessly through my stock as a door knob Colt made old style Combat-Target 1911-the low end model.

Edited by roundball