Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Rule Book, (2019)...5.2.10

jakfrost1

Hi all, stubbed my toe on this one yesterday. I normally compete in Open class but choose to shoot PO during the winter months while confined to indoor ranges...So, I stepped up to the firing line and when told to 'Load and Make Ready', used a single round held in a belt keeper on the front of my belt to 'top up' my first mag after loading one in the chamber. The RO stopped me and asked where I got the round from and then informed me  that having a belt keeper capable of holding a cartridge, in front of the 'hip bone' was illegal. 

My understanding of rule 5.2.10 is that this would only apply AFTER the start  signal, NOT after the 'Load and Make Ready' command...it does say 'Start Signal' in the rule...not, the 'Load and Make Ready Command', and the start signal is usually defined in the WSB as the 'beep', ending on the last shot fired, etc. 

Perhaps the 'allied equipment' part catches the belt keeper for some, but I doubt that was the intent of the rule. 

Comments? 

Jim W. 

Edited by jakfrost1

Very bad call, IMO. The second half of 5.2.10 says:

Any such items a Range Officer deems not to be in compliance must be safely and promptly adjusted, failing which Rule 6.2.5.1 will apply.

The relevant part of 6.2.5.1 says:

A competitor who fails to satisfy the maximum distance of handgun and allied equipment from his torso (see Appendices D1-5), or the foremost limit for handgun, holster and allied equipment (see Appendix E2), requirements of a declared Division after the Start Signal will incur a warning for the first offense.

The RO should have had you correct the problem first. If he fails to notice until after the start signal, you're still entitled to a warning before getting bumped to Open the second time it happens.

Edited by Fishbreath

The RO was correct Allied equipment is where you round holder/belt keeper would fall in to, intention has nothing to do with how the rules work. They are applies as written.

We used to have similar issues with magnets when the they first were allowed, guys would have them forward of the hip without a magazine and state they weren't being used so they are ok...... Nope 

On 11/23/2021 at 1:40 AM, Fishbreath said:

Very bad call, IMO. The second half of 5.2.10 says:

The relevant part of 6.2.5.1 says:

The RO should have had you correct the problem first. If he fails to notice until after the start signal, you're still entitled to a warning before getting bumped to Open the second time it happens.

He didn't say he was bumped to Open. He said he usually shoots Open, He didn't actually say what happened.

Edited by terrydoc

2 hours ago, terrydoc said:

He didn't say he was bumped to Open. He said he usually shoots Open, He didn't actually say what happened.

I think he edited the post to that effect in the time since I replied.

It is illegal, but introducing the consequences too early is also wrong.