Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Added some weight to my Glock frame.

eboggs

Well, have seen a lot of posts on here lately about adding weight to their glocks….I figured, since I can’t leave anything alone and I like to tinker, I would give it a shot. 

Found tungsten putty and tungsten weights at Hobby Lobby for pinewood derby cars, I placed a weight in, and then PACKED the putty to fill all voids before inserting another weight and repeating the process. I was hoping I could get ATLEAST 5oz by doing this. 

I only achieved 3.5oz, leaving a little room to seal everything in with some JB weld putty to form a mag funnel. 

It’s kind of crazy how you can feel the difference of only 3.5oz in your hand, however I’m sure once I shoot it the difference will be minimal. BUT it’s better than spending $160 on the CHPWS brass “speed feed” and I’m basically an extra ounce over that for less than 1/3 the cost. 

Also ordered a GS tungsten 34 guide rod to add a little more weight. I could add a few more small weights up front if I carefully dremel’d them flush in the dust cover, but idk if that would be worth the time for the minimal difference. 

Anyway, here was my attempt! 

D916CB6F-8FFD-49CC-8461-20E0C378E258.jpeg

169B035A-D22D-40A6-8806-4D36214EF832.jpeg

12295A67-D39A-4296-ACC5-FA1EB38B3B65.jpeg

A7968ECB-9438-435D-84B4-9063AEAF57C9.jpeg

809737DB-1146-420D-94E6-654A0E1BF7DF.jpeg

8D386D4E-D9AA-40B7-A9DC-9DFC2687D5B4.jpeg

4756C06A-CB34-4D65-998F-7B787259DC72.jpeg

You can get up to 5-6 oz most likely by using mostly solid shapes as the putty isn't that heavy. I was able to stick 1.5 oz in a large backstrap with tungsten discs and a little putty. Plan to pack the grip cavity full soon. 

eBay has a lot of options but I bought a bunch of weights from maximum velocity, pinewood derby store. I'm gonna play around with a few different shapes to maximize the weight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to add some weight to my Gen3 17 however I built the gun on a RTF frame and I don't really want to perm mod it until I get another one as they aren't the easiest to get at times.

Does that putty turn hard or would I be able to pull it out (with some work) with some tweezers or something?

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I want to add some weight to my Gen3 17 however I built the gun on a RTF frame and I don't really want to perm mod it until I get another one as they aren't the easiest to get at times.

Does that putty turn hard or would I be able to pull it out (with some work) with some tweezers or something?

The putty does not turn hard but you'd need a way to keep it but that could be just one of the cheap plastic plugs.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the putty and pinewood derby weight add to my Glock frame (gen 3) as well and I did use a plastic plug to hold it in.  I ended up about the same point.  I already had a tungsten guide rod.  Those two made some difference in feel, but weren't really noticeable shooting.  What made the biggest difference was putting a flashlight with w74 tungsten batteries on the front.  That was noticeable when shooting.

Edited by TRG65

• 1 month later...