Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting red dot

Brandon1887

11 hours ago, Brandon1887 said:

I just bought a holosun 507k for my G43x. My question is what’s the best way to sight it in? I’m new to red dots. I’ve always just used my iron sights but I just jumped on the red dot train to give it a try. Any help will be appreciated 

What exactly do you need to know?  How to move the point of impact to match point of aim?  What distance to zero it?

Have you ever zeroed any other sort of optical sight?

Please be more specific.

7 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

Sorry ab that. I know how to move the point of impact I’m just wondering once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?

I don't want to be unkind but maybe you need a different hobby.

Get yourself a nice solid rest of some kind.   Put up a target about 15-20 yards downrange.   Carefully squeeze off a few rounds into the the target (say 3-5 rounds).   Adjust the dot accordingly.   Repeat as necessary.   Once the rounds are impacting more or less in a cluster around your point of aim, you are sighted in. 

34 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

I know how to move the point of impact I’m just wondering once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?

How can you say that you know how to move the point of impact if you have to ask "once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?"

24 minutes ago, NETim said:

Get yourself a nice solid rest of some kind.   Put up a target about 15-20 yards downrange.   Carefully squeeze off a few rounds into the the target (say 3-5 rounds).   Adjust the dot accordingly.   Repeat as necessary.   Once the rounds are impacting more or less in a cluster around your point of aim, you are sighted in. 

Thanks bro

13 hours ago, Brandon1887 said:

Any help will be appreciated 

Personally I would only shoot off a rest to get the dot fine "tuned" at your chosen distance for zero (15 or 20 yards).

Then Shoot the gun freestyle and find out how you actually shoot the gun, remember we never shoot from a rest in competition. Finally you have to know what the offset is at different distances. If you're mounting the dot on a dove tail mount and it sits high on the slide the POI at close targets will be lower, and it can be as much as a couple of inches.

The point is this, zero at your preferred distance and then figure out point of impact at the various distances you shoot at. Finding zero is just a small part of the process.

Probably too much info. The main point is have fun. 

Hey Brandon, the instructions that are included in the box should give you a good idea of how to adjust the elevation and windage adjusters with the included tool, once you fire an initial group. Start at close range, say 25 feet then progress to maybe 25 yards to confirm, done.

Read up on how to utilize a red dot, Scott Jedlinksi is a good source. Its all about target focus, NOT dot or front sight focus. Dim the red dot so you can clearly see it, but dont focus on it.

Good luck and lets go Brandon!

Mark

37 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

Yeah don’t worry ab it bro you not getting what I’m asking or I’m not saying it right. All I’m asking is how to sight I’m a red dot. I can google it but I didn’t know if anybody in here had some tricks to make it easier is all

Yeah bro, there are tricks to make it easier and save ammo but I'll let you google those.

4 hours ago, mpom said:

Hey Brandon, the instructions that are included in the box should give you a good idea of how to adjust the elevation and windage adjusters with the included tool, once you fire an initial group. Start at close range, say 25 feet then progress to maybe 25 yards to confirm, done.

Read up on how to utilize a red dot, Scott Jedlinksi is a good source. Its all about target focus, NOT dot or front sight focus. Dim the red dot so you can clearly see it, but dont focus on it.

Good luck and lets go Brandon!

Mark

Thanks man! I been reading up and watching videos and went to the range. Finally got it zeroed at 15 yards. Once I figured it out it all made sense and was pretty easy. Thanks for the advice and yes LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Personally I would only shoot off a rest to get the dot fine "tuned" at your chosen distance for zero (15 or 20 yards).

Then Shoot the gun freestyle and find out how you actually shoot the gun, remember we never shoot from a rest in competition. Finally you have to know what the offset is at different distances. If you're mounting the dot on a dove tail mount and it sits high on the slide the POI at close targets will be lower, and it can be as much as a couple of inches.

The point is this, zero at your preferred distance and then figure out point of impact at the various distances you shoot at. Finding zero is just a small part of the process.

Probably too much info. The main point is have fun. 

No man it’s not to much info. I’ll take it all. I’ve always been a iron sight guy and just trying to figure it out. I went to the range and figured it out 

Good info on rds pistol shooting if you look up Sage Dynamics and The Modern Samurai Project.

This forum is geared towards competition applications,  but the G43 is likely to be used for self defense, so check out those above.

Learned quite a bit during a 2 day course w Jedlinski, often called Jedi.

Mark

On 11/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brandon1887 said:

Thanks man! I been reading up and watching videos and went to the range. Finally got it zeroed at 15 yards. Once I figured it out it all made sense and was pretty easy. Thanks for the advice and yes LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

Let's not do that here

• 4 months later...

I use a bagged rest.  Shoot at a small circle colored onto a target, see where you are hitting.  Then continue pointing your dot at that circle, and adjust the dot to where you were hitting on the target.  Now POA = POI

• 4 weeks later...

I zero my red dots at 10 yards, then from 0 to 25 yards I am less than an inch off up or down, never worry about holdover. Easiest is to use a bore site laser, I use a 9mm round with laser built in, $12 on Amazon. Then just line up the dots. Remove laser round, rotate it and repeat, fast way to detect imperfection s in the lasers zero. 

Here’s what works for me. Sight in poa, poi at 10 yds. Then at 15 sight in for windage only, don’t worry about elevation. Sight in again for windage at 20 and 25. Then sight in for elevation at your chosen average distance that gun will be used at. If USPSA or steel challenge I’ll sight in for elevation at 17 yards, if self defense 10 yards.

• 3 months later...

Put the gun on a bag (not your arms, the gun) line target up even with bag at 10 yards. Take five careful slow shots. Evaluate the shots and move the dot as necessary. Take five more shots and evaluate. Do this until centered. 10 yards is fine for idpa, self defense and uspsa. When you’re better maybe you’ll change from 10 yards, that depends on you. 

Oh and your center is the center of your group.