Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting red dot


Brandon1887
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Brandon1887 said:

I just bought a holosun 507k for my G43x. My question is what’s the best way to sight it in? I’m new to red dots. I’ve always just used my iron sights but I just jumped on the red dot train to give it a try. Any help will be appreciated 

 

What exactly do you need to know?  How to move the point of impact to match point of aim?  What distance to zero it?

 

Have you ever zeroed any other sort of optical sight?

 

Please be more specific.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

Sorry ab that. I know how to move the point of impact I’m just wondering once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?

I don't want to be unkind but maybe you need a different hobby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get yourself a nice solid rest of some kind.   Put up a target about 15-20 yards downrange.   Carefully squeeze off a few rounds into the the target (say 3-5 rounds).   Adjust the dot accordingly.   Repeat as necessary.   Once the rounds are impacting more or less in a cluster around your point of aim, you are sighted in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

I know how to move the point of impact I’m just wondering once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?

 

How can you say that you know how to move the point of impact if you have to ask "once I shoot ab 3 rounds to see where they go where do I go from there?"

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, NETim said:

Get yourself a nice solid rest of some kind.   Put up a target about 15-20 yards downrange.   Carefully squeeze off a few rounds into the the target (say 3-5 rounds).   Adjust the dot accordingly.   Repeat as necessary.   Once the rounds are impacting more or less in a cluster around your point of aim, you are sighted in. 

Thanks bro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Brandon1887 said:

Any help will be appreciated 

Personally I would only shoot off a rest to get the dot fine "tuned" at your chosen distance for zero (15 or 20 yards).

 

Then Shoot the gun freestyle and find out how you actually shoot the gun, remember we never shoot from a rest in competition. Finally you have to know what the offset is at different distances. If you're mounting the dot on a dove tail mount and it sits high on the slide the POI at close targets will be lower, and it can be as much as a couple of inches.

 

The point is this, zero at your preferred distance and then figure out point of impact at the various distances you shoot at. Finding zero is just a small part of the process.

 

Probably too much info. The main point is have fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Brandon, the instructions that are included in the box should give you a good idea of how to adjust the elevation and windage adjusters with the included tool, once you fire an initial group. Start at close range, say 25 feet then progress to maybe 25 yards to confirm, done.

Read up on how to utilize a red dot, Scott Jedlinksi is a good source. Its all about target focus, NOT dot or front sight focus. Dim the red dot so you can clearly see it, but dont focus on it.

Good luck and lets go Brandon!

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Brandon1887 said:

Yeah don’t worry ab it bro you not getting what I’m asking or I’m not saying it right. All I’m asking is how to sight I’m a red dot. I can google it but I didn’t know if anybody in here had some tricks to make it easier is all

 

Yeah bro, there are tricks to make it easier and save ammo but I'll let you google those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mpom said:

Hey Brandon, the instructions that are included in the box should give you a good idea of how to adjust the elevation and windage adjusters with the included tool, once you fire an initial group. Start at close range, say 25 feet then progress to maybe 25 yards to confirm, done.

Read up on how to utilize a red dot, Scott Jedlinksi is a good source. Its all about target focus, NOT dot or front sight focus. Dim the red dot so you can clearly see it, but dont focus on it.

Good luck and lets go Brandon!

 

Mark

Thanks man! I been reading up and watching videos and went to the range. Finally got it zeroed at 15 yards. Once I figured it out it all made sense and was pretty easy. Thanks for the advice and yes LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Personally I would only shoot off a rest to get the dot fine "tuned" at your chosen distance for zero (15 or 20 yards).

 

Then Shoot the gun freestyle and find out how you actually shoot the gun, remember we never shoot from a rest in competition. Finally you have to know what the offset is at different distances. If you're mounting the dot on a dove tail mount and it sits high on the slide the POI at close targets will be lower, and it can be as much as a couple of inches.

 

The point is this, zero at your preferred distance and then figure out point of impact at the various distances you shoot at. Finding zero is just a small part of the process.

 

Probably too much info. The main point is have fun. 

No man it’s not to much info. I’ll take it all. I’ve always been a iron sight guy and just trying to figure it out. I went to the range and figured it out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good info on rds pistol shooting if you look up Sage Dynamics and The Modern Samurai Project.

This forum is geared towards competition applications,  but the G43 is likely to be used for self defense, so check out those above.

Learned quite a bit during a 2 day course w Jedlinski, often called Jedi.

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brandon1887 said:

Thanks man! I been reading up and watching videos and went to the range. Finally got it zeroed at 15 yards. Once I figured it out it all made sense and was pretty easy. Thanks for the advice and yes LETS GO BRANDON!!!!

Let's not do that here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...