Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 SF FPB polishing

Lightj75

So this past weekend I got bored and messed around with my Q5 SF I got a couple months ago. Honestly the gun doesn't need much work its great but I live about 10 miles from

" earls repair shop" so parts are close if I mess anything up. It has the DPT installed along with the fire control module but there was still some grit in the pre travel of the trigger. So what I did was pull the FPB, cleaned it up, polished the hole and FPB itself along with cutting 1 coil off the FPB spring. The stock recoil spring also got a coil chopped off of it which didn't make a huge difference really other than the slide is slightly easier to rack. 

Long story short the trigger feels alot nicer now and I don't feel the FPB dragging as the trigger is being pulled up to the wall. I've only tested about 20rds so far but it ran perfectly and I Plan on getting out and running it more in the next day or 2. 

I don't believe this has in any way affected the safety function of the FPB. As it is only a slightly lighter spring which is common to swap  in CZ FPB pistols. 

Also if there is a way to test the FPB to make sure it works I would greatly appreciate an explanation on how to do that. I just wanted to share this because there aren't many discussions or videos on upgrading the Q5 other than swapping triggers and some spring work. 

19 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

Polishing the firing pin block and reducing the power of its spring are pretty common ways to improve the trigger. Sprinco even sells a spring 'kit' with lighter trigger and firing pin block springs.

Ok cool thanks for the info. I didn't know they had a FPB spring in their kit so I will probably try to pick one up just to have as a backup. I mainly just did this to see if I could make it any better before spending money on springs and I was bored. It was an excuse to learn more about striker fired guns because coming from CZs I don't have the intimate knowledge of strikers like I do DA/SA. 

59 minutes ago, Lightj75 said:

I don't have the intimate knowledge of strikers like I do DA/SA. 

I am on the same path, but from the 1911/2011 platform.

Another big trigger improvement can be had installing the Walther Dynamic Performance Trigger and Sear Housing. Too bad they are nearly impossible to find, right now. Even Earl does not have them.

15 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

I am on the same path, but from the 1911/2011 platform.

Another big trigger improvement can be had installing the Walther Dynamic Performance Trigger and Sear Housing. Too bad they are nearly impossible to find, right now. Even Earl does not have them.

Im gonna head down the 1911/2011 path here in a month or 2 actually if I don't talk myself out of it. I like to learn to work on my guns in case I have any issues hopefully that platform isn't too difficult. 

Earl actually did all the work on my Q5 SF when I got it including installing the DPT and sear housing. His shop is about a 10 min drive from me he's a crotchety old man but he sure knows his walthers. I hope none of the stuff I did malfunctions because he and my dad know each other pretty well and ill never hear the end of it. 😂

7 hours ago, Lightj75 said:

Im gonna head down the 1911/2011 path here in a month or 2 actually if I don't talk myself out of it. I like to learn to work on my guns in case I have any issues hopefully that platform isn't too difficult. 

Like all guns, it has its tricks. But there is a ton of information on YouTube (but being blocked more and more) and the Internet in general. The 3rd party market is as strong, or stronger, than Glock and CZ).

Message me is you get stuck or hit up the mart guys at:

https://www.1911addicts.com/forums/1911-gunsmithing.46/

https://www.1911forum.com/forums/gunsmithing-troubleshooting.18/

I use the dynamic trigger set from Walther but reinstalled the stock trigger spring. I was getting trigger freeze with the weaker trigger spring. When I installed the stronger trigger spring it gets the trigger reset faster and more sure feel for me. 

On 11/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

I use the dynamic trigger set from Walther but reinstalled the stock trigger spring. I was getting trigger freeze with the weaker trigger spring. When I installed the stronger trigger spring it gets the trigger reset faster and more sure feel for me. 

I dont have a clue which springs are in mine as I didn't install them myself. Earl did the work but mine has a copper colored spring on the sear cage. And I was told the trigger was 3.25# when I picked it up. Polishing the FPB and trigger bar some has made it a little smoother and probably a little bit lighter.

Edit: so I finally looked at a parts diagram and the copper spring is the trigger return spring.

Edited by Lightj75