Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Stock Master 9mm for production

bobbyblaze

I have one. I really like it and ran it in a half dozen matches. However, I am now giving CO a try and thus it sits in the safe for now. I like it better than the Stock 2. My first Tanfo was the Stock 3 and the SM has the same slide/barrel length as the S3, but the SM has a bull barrel. I had Patriot Defense do basic upgrades to mine to improve trigger, etc.

This is an excellent gun for the money - Stock 3 length but Stock 2 cone barrel.  It's also available in large or small frame - I have a small frame that takes CZ mags which is a huge benefit in my opinion.  NOTE - if you get a small frame, there are differences in parts such as firing pin so be advised.  

My IFG Stock Master shoots similar to the original Stock 2 - the barrel is a little faster than an equivalent length CZ barrel, and out of the box accuracy with 147 loads and faster powders is a little better.

Send me a message if you want to know more because I actually got an extra slide and had it milled for CO.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:55 PM, rpm8300 said:

I have a small frame that takes CZ mags which is a huge benefit in my opinion. 

I think which is better may depend on the size of your hands. To me CZ and single stack mags always seemed more difficult to grip consistently on the clock than Tanfo LF and 2011 mags. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, rpm8300 said:

This is an excellent gun for the money - Stock 3 length but Stock 2 cone barrel.  It's also available in large or small frame - I have a small frame that takes CZ mags which is a huge benefit in my opinion.  NOTE - if you get a small frame, there are differences in parts such as firing pin so be advised.  

My IFG Stock Master shoots similar to the original Stock 2 - the barrel is a little faster than an equivalent length CZ barrel, and out of the box accuracy with 147 loads and faster powders is a little better.

Send me a message if you want to know more because I actually got an extra slide and had it milled for CO.

I would appreciate any additional comments you may have on the IFG Stock Master with CO slide, I am looking hard now to decide between a stock II and the Stock Master. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Maico450 said:

I am looking hard now to decide between a stock II and the Stock Master.

I bought the Stock Master, large frame, last year and to be honest the balance of my Stock 2 is superior to it. The Stock Master feels substantially nose heavy. 

Additionally the build quality of my Stock 2 (7 years old) is superior to the Master. Barrel fit, extractor issues, slide fit to frame, hammer spring hole/well is shorter/not as deep (more stacking in DA) have all been annoying and required more detailed tuning.

Personally if you're looking to buy a new gun and don't have any investment in Tanfoglio parts, get a CZ Shadow 2. Even better yet get a Shadow 2 from Cajon Gun Works with their full "pro" package. Out of the box all that has to be done is load the ammo and go shoot.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:14 PM, Maico450 said:

I would appreciate any additional comments you may have on the IFG Stock Master with CO slide, I am looking hard now to decide between a stock II and the Stock Master. Thanks!

They are both going to work out well - I really like the IFG Stock Master small frame with a cut for the SRO.  If you like the large frame, getting a Stock II optic ready is very easy.  The SF has different guts which makes things a little more complicated.  That being said, I like the feel of the SF.

• 4 weeks later...

CZ isn't on the level of the new IFG tanfos. Especially at their price point. The new IFG Stock and Limited Master a basically stepping into the realm of "semi custom" the IFG Stock Master I own is much nicer than the other tanfos I've owned.

Confirmed- factory stroked, figured it out a while ago that it fixes erratic ejection. They now come stroked so I don't have to do it myself.

Fit, much nicer, tighter, and no tooling marks.

Barrel locks vault tight at cone and chamber.

Very accurate at 3.8grn TG under a 125grn bullet.

Balance is excellent 

I have zero extra parts in mine other than a 14lb pd hammer spring, brass guide rod, brass grips, and an 8lb recoil spring. Basically All Stock and all I did was polish any touch points and I'm at 3lbs SA and 6-7lbs DA with original 2 piece sear.

The better quality control from Tanfoglio is fantastic news. I think I have to agree. Saw a “new” EAA Match Elite last weekend. It looked better and had a much better trigger than my 10 - 12 year old Match Elite. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm not sure if I got hand picked lucky but the new frame and slides fit so so well. I have no tool marks and it slides like glass. Nearly zero slide play and it damn near looks hand blended. I'm sure it's not but wow. They have really stepped up these IFG specials. The Stock Master out of the numerous tanfos I've had is by far the nicest one I've had from the factory. I honestly see it almost as "semi-custom" quality now instead of "off the shelf" The IFG guns are way better, and are a bargain too, compared to other models.

1 hour ago, Polymer said:

I agree with the quality/fit/QC. My stock master is fit very well. Checkering is aggressive and consistent.  Trigger is very nice with only polish job and springs. 

I was really suprised at how good it was with a simple polish as well. Mine still has original 2 piece sear and all.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...