Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different bullet weights/same match

Imreallyslow

Does anyone have any insight or can someone point me to a resource that has information about shooting two different bullet weights during a single match?

I've always shot 55 grain stuff but I'm wanting to try out 77 grain bullets for longer range stages.

I would assume one would zero the gun for 77 grain (which would be shot at targets up to 600 yards), and just relearn the the holds for the 55 grain, which would be used on the shorter/hoser stages.

It is done a lot. My "long" range ammo(any target past 100yards). Is a hand load using a 77 Sierra match HP. Zeroed at 200meters.

Then use a Hornady  Hand load 55FMJ zero to 100yards. ( yes I am mixing yards and meters). With my ammo the 55s are dead on at

50 yards. Less than 2 inches high at 25 yards and in. Again at 100 y same as the 77s. I could use the 55s to 300y if the ranges would lube

there flashers a little. Accercy is not the issue.

I do this all the time. 55gr inside 200 and 72 gr eld-m past that. I zero with the 200 gr at 200 yds.

I just shot a DMR match out to 500yds using 55 gr ammo and had no issues hitting 2 moa targets. I prefer the 72 gr eld-m bullets but didn't have enough loaded for this match. 

I know of a guy with a lot more experience than me who had an answer to this question on video at the last SMM3G match.

So I looked around through the match videos and put together a little video answer for you (at 0:33 seconds).

I've found Jerry's solution to be very useful. It takes more prep time, but when you are on the clock you don't have to think about different holds.

We use good 55gr out to 300 and 69 or 75 past. Depends on rifle twist & what it likes. Our rifles tend to like Sierra a little better than Hornady. Zero at 50 same at 200 and then use Strelok as a ballistic calculator matching to your scope and reticle for distances beyond.

gerritm