Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated Case Flare Die vs Flaring with Mr. Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel

I use wet tumbler with ss pins. The inside of the the case mouth are too clean, 20 out 100 cases (range picked up brass mainly) would bind tightly with the Mr. bullet feeder powder funnel. When loading hand sorted brass with the same headstamp, this happens much less frequently. Btw, I am currently using XL750. I just placed an order for an RL1100 and I got a couple of questions:

1. Suppose I still use Mr. bullet feeder powder funnel for case flaring, would it be easier to break the bind?

2. Would a dedicated case flaring die (e.g. Lyman, or Mighty Armory) bind with the case? If not, I may just order one and put it to the swaging station on the RL1100. 

I wet tumble w/o the pins.   The cases come out plenty clean.   Some carbon/soot is left inside the cases which help reduce brass seizing on the powder funnel.  

I also hit the cases with spray case lube in a small plastic tub.   Enough lube gets in enough case mouths to keep the problem to a minimum. 

16 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

I use wet tumbler with ss pins. The inside of the the case mouth are too clean, 20 out 100 cases (range picked up brass mainly) would bind tightly with the Mr. bullet feeder powder funnel. When loading hand sorted brass with the same headstamp, this happens much less frequently. Btw, I am currently using XL750. I just placed an order for an RL1100 and I got a couple of questions:

1. Suppose I still use Mr. bullet feeder powder funnel for case flaring, would it be easier to break the bind?

2. Would a dedicated case flaring die (e.g. Lyman, or Mighty Armory) bind with the case? If not, I may just order one and put it to the swaging station on the RL1100. 

You might not notice it as much on the 1100. I recently went from a 650 to an 1100. I put the MBF on the 1100, but didn't have one on the 650. I do notice a little stickiness caused by the MBF powder funnel, but it has never seized or taken too much effort to process. I do not lube cases, and I wet tumble with pins. The mechanical action of the 1100 is stronger. 

I wet tumble and then run the brass in corn cob/walnut shells for a few minutes. The dust from the corn cob and walnut provides graphite-like lubrication and prevents any sticking with the MBF funnel during reloading on my 1100. It’s an extra step I wouldn’t mind doing since I got all the time in the world being retired.

3 hours ago, jejb said:

You might not notice it as much on the 1100. I recently went from a 650 to an 1100. I put the MBF on the 1100, but didn't have one on the 650. I do notice a little stickiness caused by the MBF powder funnel, but it has never seized or taken too much effort to process. I do not lube cases, and I wet tumble with pins. The mechanical action of the 1100 is stronger. 

Sounds great! Can't wait to try 1100, even though I might have to wait for quite a few months before it is shipped.

I wet tumble with pins, lube cases with a substance I mixed that is similar to Dillon’s case lube (lanolin/alcohol mixture) and had sticking issues when I was only using the Dillon and MBF powder funnels using my Dillon Super 1050.  I was then made aware of the Redding expander die by someone on this forum. I installed that in the swaging station and never had a sticking issue since. The press runs super smooth once I dialed in the dies and lubrication amount just right. Make sure you do not over bell the brass with the expander die which will be easy to do if it is not adjusted correctly if you go that route. 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/redding-reloading-premium-expander-die.html?_iv_caliber-193146313=9mm-luger

Not it affiliated with Optics Planet or Redding used link as reference. 

Let me me know if you have any quaestions. 

+1 to Boomsticks die recommendation.

I bought this die based on his personal recommendation about three months ago and I have loaded over 4000 rounds with this die in my set up and I have not had a single case stick. This die also eliminated the severe Wasp Waist I was getting before I started using this die because it ever so slightly bells the case far enough down to reduce or eliminate the Wasp Waist look on a seated and taper crimped bullet.

12 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I wet tumble with pins, lube cases with a substance I mixed that is similar to Dillon’s case lube (lanolin/alcohol mixture) and had sticking issues when I was only using the Dillon and MBF powder funnels using my Dillon Super 1050.  I was then made aware of the Redding expander die by someone on this forum. I installed that in the swaging station and never had a sticking issue since. The press runs super smooth once I dialed in the dies and lubrication amount just right. Make sure you do not over bell the brass with the expander die which will be easy to do if it is not adjusted correctly if you go that route. 

https://www.opticsplanet.com/redding-reloading-premium-expander-die.html?_iv_caliber-193146313=9mm-luger

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

+1 to Boomsticks die recommendation.

I bought this die based on his personal recommendation about three months ago and I have loaded over 4000 rounds with this die in my set up and I have not had a single case stick. This die also eliminated the severe Wasp Waist I was getting before I started using this die because it ever so slightly bells the case far enough down to reduce or eliminate the Wasp Waist look on a seated and taper crimped bullet.

@Boomstick303, @Sigarmsp226  While I'm currently loading 9mm with a custom machined MBF funnel with very minimal/practically no sticking, I do actually feel it just a bit on long runs.  I do use One Shot and allow just a wisp to get in some of the case mouths.  But now, you two have picked my interest as I use Redding dies and have been seriously considering this die just to give it a try during the off-season.

Even though I use pre-processed, roll sized, same headstamp brass, I'm wondering if a rogue piece of brass somehow got mixed in would the Redding expander located in the #3 Swaging Station provide enough down force to allow the primer pocket to be swaged properly before arriving at the priming station?

Also, do you both and/or either still use the MBF funnel at the powder drop?  Does it still do any expansion/creation of the infamous MBF seat or is it just along for the ride and dropping powder?

Thanks!

;)

I too use Lyman M-dies and Redding (normal and premium) expanders in my 650 toolheads when loading 9 and .45ACP. No sticking at all. Not even when sizing first with U-dies.

It does cost an extra station (I run them in station 2 and moved the powder measure to station 3) but I don't use a bullet feeder so it works for me.

1- sizer

2- expander

3- powder (with return springs instead of the rod)

4- seater

5- crimp

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

I'm wondering if a rogue piece of brass somehow got mixed in would the Redding expander located in the #3 Swaging Station provide enough down force to allow the primer pocket to be swaged properly before arriving at the priming station?

I use a mix of mixed brass and sorted brass with zero issues. I do not have to make any adjustments regardless of the brass I am using to reload. 

I do run into the occasional piece of mixed 9mm brass that has been crimped (at least I think that’s what the issue is) that causes issues but that usually means the decapping die did not completely remove the spent primer. I do have instances where I have primer seating issue but those happened before I installed the expander die and it is no more frequent after installing the expander die. Mind you this happened very very rarely before and now after the installation of the expander die. So I believe the expander die installed in the swagging station does the job of aiding the shell plate in holding the case in place during the swaging step. Make sure your shell plate is installed properly and there should be zero issues. I also check the shell plate before I start every run to make sure it has not backed out. 

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

do you both and/or either still use the MBF funnel at the powder drop?  Does it still do any expansion/creation of the infamous MBF seat or is it just along for the ride and dropping powder?

Yes, I still use the MBF powder funnies and I backed it out to where it’s just along for the ride essentially. It will take a little time and patience to get it set up properly but once you do the press hums along with zero sticking. 

Edited by Boomstick303

Another +1 from me - referencing back to Boomsticks comment just above.  

This is the exact same thing I do with zero issues and no powder spillage.  I like the Redding Expander die so much that I have already decided that I will be ordering a second one for 9mm and eventually one for 45ACP also…..and may also order the Lyman “M” for a couple of rifle calibers (so many on this forum speak highly about the Lyman M die when loading flat based rifle rounds)…..

Quote from Boomsticks thread:

“Yes, I still use the MBF powder funnel and I backed it out to where it’s just along for the ride essentially. It will take a little time and patience to get it set up properly but once you do the press hums along with zero sticking.”

Edited by Sigarmsp226

@Boomstick303, @Sigarmsp226

Thanks for your in-depth feedback! 

Guess I was worried about not having an expander with a "shaft" to support the inside of the case when swaging like the stock Dillon die uses.

Believe I'll order one of the Redding's and install it during my soon to happen major cleaning.  Also looking at one of FW Arm's new anodized shell plates..........

;)

Someone else’s shell plates to check out is TNT Munitions burly plate. I have just purchased one of their plates just recently but was waiting for a maintenance cycle to install. It’s thicker than most plates which I have seen the Dillon shell plate flex on occasion. If you are not set on buying that other shell plate in the immediate future I can let you know how it goes with the TNT plate before you buy. 

38 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Someone else’s shell plates to check out is TNT Munitions burly plate. I have just purchased one of their plates just recently but was waiting for a maintenance cycle to install. It’s thicker than most plates which I have seen the Dillon shell plate flex on occasion. If you are not set on buying that other shell plate in the immediate future I can let you know how it goes with the TNT plate before you buy. 

I received this from Dillon about an update to their RL1100 shell plates:

Yes, 1050 ShellPlates have been thickened, except for the stepped down portion where it’s milled out for the cases. This new design adds more rigidity and therefore less flexing and warping. Warping usually occurs in the swaging station when the Swage Rod is adjusted up too high.

Price is 95.00 for the ShellPlates and we do have most in stock.

Since it appears I'm going to have to actually purchase one to have an updated unit, I've been browsing around for aftermarket units.  I have looked at the TNT burly plate and it looks very well made.  Also I liked some of the additional features that FW Arms implemented in there new anodized unit:

.....with our custom geometry at the mouth of each station, we’ve created a path that allows the case to enter the plate more freely while at the same time ensuring the case won’t be too loose in the shell plate.  We’ve also added some extras on the back side of the plate to encourage dirt and debris to get pulled out toward the edged, as well as a track for the indexing ball bearing to ride in.  This track allows the plate to stay centered correctly during the indexing process which in turn will give you smoother indexing.  It also doesn’t hurt that we machine these plates in house from tool steel.

Definitely like to hear your feedback on the TNT plate as I will more than likely wait until a Black Friday type deal to purchase an upgraded plate; that is if vendors actually offer any sales.....

Thanks again!

👍

On 11/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Good to know. Now I am planning to buy an aftermarket toolhead for 1100 so I can use the priming station for the expander die. I have a mighty armory smart decapping die with flicker spring which basically eliminates primer pull back issue and ready for autodrive in the future. So I need the swaging station for dillon carbide sizing die, w/o the decapping pin of course. 

18 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

Good to know. Now I am planning to buy an aftermarket toolhead for 1100 so I can use the priming station for the expander die. I have a mighty armory smart decapping die with flicker spring which basically eliminates primer pull back issue and ready for autodrive in the future. So I need the swaging station for dillon carbide sizing die, w/o the decapping pin of course. 

What 1100 toolhead offers the primer station die?

23 minutes ago, jejb said:

Saw a couple of youtube videos, CNC Shooter offers toolhead for 1050/1100 with regular size hole at the primer station so you can use regular dies. 

1 hour ago, jejb said:

There are a couple.  Many of them are so far back logged they are never available.

I looked for about 7 months, but finally gave up looking.

Edited by Boomstick303

Hi all,

For your amusement a comparison pic of different brand 9mm expanders/funnels.

Dillon - Redding (standard) - Lyman - Double Alpha (for MBF).

expanders.jpg

Edited by RGA