Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corn cob media

Cowguy

You can use the corn cob bedding for small animals such as ferrets. I use the ground walnut shells. The corn cob can get stuck in a small cases such as a 9mm and can stick in primer holes if you deprime before you clean. 

I found that the ease of use of Walnut and cleaning performance of it is a better option than Corn cob.  Walnut shell media can be obtained easily at many pet stores as it is used for reptile bedding and the price is much cheaper than buying from reload supply shops.  That being said,  I am wet / Stainless pin tumbling now and will never go back…

Blasting media works the best.  Sharper edges.  Course is better than fine.  You can find 25 lb. cartons at Harbor Freight, or Amazon, etc.  Corn cob blasting media cleans just as well as Walnut and leaves the cases shiny.

15 hours ago, zzt said:

Blasting media works the best.  Sharper edges.  Course is better than fine.  You can find 25 lb. cartons at Harbor Freight, or Amazon, etc.  Corn cob blasting media cleans just as well as Walnut and leaves the cases shiny.

Do you add any polish like Flitz or Mother’s? That’s what I did like about cc tumbling was cases were slick but adding Turtle wax to the wet pins helps. 

Edited by Farmer

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Do you add any polish like Flitz or Mother’s? That’s what I did like about cc tumbling was cases were slick but adding Turtle wax to the wet pins helps. 

I did until I ran out of Dillon case polish.  I've done the last couple thousand with plain cc media.  They come out just as shiny.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If there is a research lab near you that does animal work, see if they will sell you several bags of corn cob bedding- this should last years-bags are 50# each. Have been using this media for years. If the bags are broken upon delivery to the lab they might give them to you since this breaks clean bedding protocol.

Use 20/40 grit. It won't lodge in primer pocket. If a flake of any media gets in flash hole, the depriming pin will remove it. Just go to Grainger's or big box home supply store (home depot, etc) and ask for 20/40 corn media.

Nut shells produce a lot of fine powder that can lodge in case and is not good to breathe.

3 hours ago, noylj said:

Use 20/40 grit. It won't lodge in primer pocket. If a flake of any media gets in flash hole, the depriming pin will remove it. Just go to Grainger's or big box home supply store (home depot, etc) and ask for 20/40 corn media.

Nut shells produce a lot of fine powder that can lodge in case and is not good to breathe.

Grainger for sure but I have never seen any at Lowe’s, Home Depot etc.

For crushed walnut just google sand blasting media locally and get some. Very cheap too

• 4 months later...

I found walnut needs switched out sooner than corn, starts leaving a dust film on the brass. I have also found that walnut will clean up old range brass better than corn, but corn make clean brass pretty.

• 2 weeks later...