Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double charge? Or fired out of battery?

japarker82

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that this pistol has some design flaws that Sig doesn't want to recognize for fear of lawsuits, recall costs, and loss of contracts.  I hope I'm wrong. I'm starting to think about abandoning this platform all-together.  I'm just not looking forward to the cost and process of finding other options which are still pretty scarce right now.  

This is all news to me. I have 5 P320’s of various X-5 models. I have two for USPSA that have over 15,000 rounds each. I load on an automated Dillon 1050 and have never had a ruptured case or any problems at all. I left open and went back to carry optics primarily because I was tired or tinkering with the open guns and mags and getting a ruptured case or two due to my cheapness. I’ve always just loaded the x-5’s and shot. Mags are all 23 reloadable and the guns haven’t needed anything other than spring changes. I guess I’ve been lucky for once. Very interesting nonetheless. 

15 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

I guess I’ve been lucky for once.

I have never personally had this issue.  The only issues up until two weeks ago was under charged ammo made one go boom.  But two weeks ago I saw this first hand in a buddies X5.  I am switching to Barstow barrels for my two main competition guns for accuracy reasons, but I guess this will help prevent this issue as well.  Unfortunate it would seem.

13 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am switching to Barstow barrels for my two main competition guns for accuracy reasons, but I guess this will help prevent this issue as well. 

I'm hoping someone chimes in to how aftermarket barrel chambers compare of stock.  I may go that route at as well.  If this solves both accuracy and chamber concerns, I guess it's a win win.  It just sucks to have to invest more into what's supposed to be a competition ready gun.  But I guess I've spent more for less on other things.

This was from Barsto at the time I had troubles. I couldnt get one of their barrels where I live unfortunately and it wouldn't be prod legal for IPSC anymore anyway. 

Sent: Wednesday, 6 March 2019 1:28 AM
Subject: Re: P320 x5 barrel

Hello,

Yes they are much better supported. We have done and are doing lots of
those and they are working good  without the chamber issue . If you need
anything else let us know.

Thank you,

Irv Stone III

4 hours ago, hitman_usmc said:

This is all news to me. I have 5 P320’s of various X-5 models. I have two for USPSA that have over 15,000 rounds each. I load on an automated Dillon 1050 and have never had a ruptured case or any problems at all. I left open and went back to carry optics primarily because I was tired or tinkering with the open guns and mags and getting a ruptured case or two due to my cheapness. I’ve always just loaded the x-5’s and shot. Mags are all 23 reloadable and the guns haven’t needed anything other than spring changes. I guess I’ve been lucky for once. Very interesting nonetheless. 

My experience has been the same with 3 different X5s

5 hours ago, Nuncles said:

I'm hoping someone chimes in to how aftermarket barrel chambers compare of stock.  I may go that route at as well.  If this solves both accuracy and chamber concerns, I guess it's a win win.  It just sucks to have to invest more into what's supposed to be a competition ready gun.  But I guess I've spent more for less on other things.

Well, from what I’ve seen the Sig barrels vary somewhat. But here’s a Sig, VS BarSto. 

70E34D32-F83F-415C-B7CC-F5DB0E9974EA.jpeg

5D6234E6-FB32-4C0C-A479-4E6878E77764.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Well, from what I’ve seen the Sig barrels vary somewhat. But here’s a Sig, VS BarSto. 

Your example barrel is an OG sig p320 X5 barrel and is pretty much as bad as it gets. The barrels they use now have more support. Original design on the right, updated on the left, below. Theyve been using the updated design since they changed to the non LCI barrels on the legion. 

Silent acknowledgement that there was a problem? Maybe. 

That said, have you ever seen a blow out with someone using factory ammo?

BBCB7564-D0AD-43F9-9A4A-6EEEEA1C1E2B.jpeg

Edited by Rich406

To add further information to this discussion, I have had similar case ruptures with two SIG manufactured 38 super barrels.

They have minimal case support and the blow outs look identical.

I rechambered the barrels to 9x23 and was using 165 factor loads with 125 coated bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 310yuma said:

I had a 10lb recoil spring, had 2 cases blow out no major damage. Went to a 12 lb spring blew another case,now using a 14lb spring at least 1k rounds

with no problems,fired cases are not bludged 

So based on that can we take an educated guess that these issues may be caused by a bad barrel lockup from the weaker or worn recoil springs?

Edited by Nuncles

Looks like the slide my be bouncing. 

In a 9mm AR when you have bolt bounce you can have a case blowout. 

Maybe the case failures are being caused by the weak recoil springs. 

The weak spring could be causing the barrel to unlock too early. 

With the Sig factory 12 lb spring, I can shake my ‘unloaded’ gun and move the slide out of battery. That’s pretty weak. Have never had this blow out issue but had “ failure to fire” due to the slide being out of battery in one practice session. Have been using a 13 lb spring and replacing it often since. 

• 4 months later...

I had the same thing happen to one of my P320s earlier this week. In my case, it was a FS P320, with an aftermarket slide (Live Free Armory) and an aftermarket barrel (Grey Ghost Precision). Gun has (or had) a Legion frame. Pictures attached. The right side and extractor blew out. Brass was wedged where the extractor use to be. Some damage to the feed ramp and the slide under the extractor. And as you can see, the frame was cracked all the way through to the beavertail.

Even though I'm a leftie, I didn't get a scratch. 

I also did a comparison of all my P320 barrels. Interesting results with the GGP one. See pic.

IMG_6133.sm2.jpg

IMG_6134.sm2.jpg

IMG_6146.sm2.jpg