Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double charge? Or fired out of battery?

japarker82

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, hope you were alright. These incidents scare the crap outta me. When I dry fire and reload with a mag fully loaded with 147 gr dummy rounds, the slide sometimes moves out of battery slightly (1/16 ~ 1/8”). When I press the trigger, the slide moves forward and I can feel it. I’m using an original X five slide ass’y with a 13 lb recoil spring. What recoil spring are you using?

26 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Neither. 

Google around for “Sig 320 unsupported chamber”. There’s info on this forum and others. There’s many failures just like yours. 

This normally, but the people won't have it.

I've lost count of how many I've seen now.

The one above looks like a double charge though. That primer pocket is gone! 

Edited by dansedgli

3 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

This normally, but the people won't have it.

I've lost count of how many I've seen now.

The one above looks like a double charge though. That primer pocket is gone! 

It COULD have been hot, it’s possible. 
Little more damage on that one than most of them. 

But the same failure is way to common. 

Mine only ever blew out the sides. The bottom of the case was ok.

Worst barrels ever. In 10 years time people will be talking about sig face or sig bulge instead of the glock bulge. 

Extractors will also be sold in bags of 10. 

Edited by dansedgli

1 hour ago, Hooked said:

Has anyone heard of these issues happening on the X5 Legions?  We’ve seen 5 or 6 X5s with blown out grip modules around here, but these were all earlier gen guns.

Nothing here. A lot of our members at our club run legions. Lots and lots of rounds thru them.

• 2 weeks later...

I recognize two of the kaBooms in Steven's post.  Those came across my bench from a GM shooter who is a VERY experienced reloader using a S1050.  I'll give you this: The case heads all look like you'd expect from an over-pressure round, but I am having a tough time believing that 320 shooters have suddenly started having a string of double-charges coming out of their presses.

In over 35 years of loading for USPSA and IDPA, I have never double-charged one and have only squibbed two.  (KNOCK ON WOOD.)  And I am a fast loader.  I am cranking that handle at as fast of a pace as I can maintain, not stopping on every stroke to peer into the charged case.

8 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

The case heads all look like you'd expect from an over-pressure round, but I am having a tough time believing that 320 shooters have suddenly started having a string of double-charges coming out of their presses.

Exactly. 320 owners didn't just suddenly start buying and loading bad ammo. 

The oddly short chambers, and their (admitted) ability to fire at least somewhat OOB is what is causing many of these occurrences IMO. 

Before I bought my first P320x5 I loaded 8000 rounds in one batch on an autodriven 1050. 

I shot 3000 of these through CZ's, glocks and 1911's with no problems. Within 50 rounds on my new to me X5 with a silver barrel I noticed bulged cases, I continued shooting and lost my extractor when a case finally ruptured. 

I thought the barrel was faulty beause it had a huge lack of chamber support compared to my other guns. I posted on here about it so I bought another new P320 x5 with a black barrel while I tried to track down a new barrel for the first one. I tried to get warranty support with no luck.  

Less than 1 full mag in with the new gun I had bulged cases again.

Back to shooting CZ's, glocks and 19/2011's and that same batch of ammo had zero problems. 

The x5's don't have the right chamber support to use faster powders or marginal quality cases. If I swapped out powder it was fine, if I sorted my brass by headstamp it was fine. The cases that did not work in the x5 are fine with 9 major in my open gun if that is any indication. 

4304.jpg

4325.jpg

4358.jpg