Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Projector Stages

Smitty79

I was just reading through Down Range.    It had an article, on training, by Ken Verderame.   He's the person who developed the Steel Challenge training wall hangings.

That made me wonder why I'm still hanging felt on the wall and attaching cardboard targets with Velcro.    Has someone used a program, like Power Point, to make "stages" they can dry fire using a projector?   There are projectors, out there, that cost less than I spend on reloading components (Pre-disaster) for a month of training.

It would be easy to have every classifier set up.    It would also be interesting to make up a bunch of "stages" where a random stage could pop up.  The shooter would develop a plan, visualize, execute their pre-stage routine and then execute the stage to practice competing.

Are people doing this?

I experimented with tracking software that let you customize stages and use a projector. It was great when it worked but the original developer bailed halfway through and there was a lot of issues. But I was trying to use it with a camera and laser and originally designed. You could probably set it up for regular dry fire just fine.

But I can't remember the name of it off hand it I'm sure you could find it via Google.

I youtube "dry fire powerpoint" and dry fire using yt on my tv in the living room. So I get to see targets in a real bay on some of them, and in others I get the benefit of movement from the powerpoint objects.