Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Clamp-On Compensator for Extended Barrels 3D Prototype

MuayThaiJJ

Some of my older compensators had a recess that fit over the bushing......with your design it might perhaps help take up the dead space and minimize the compensator's potential tendency to spin/rotate.

In It's current form, it appears quite long, I wonder if a shorter set up might end up giving you less hassles in the long run?

just a couple of thoughts

The pressures a 45 runs at is one thing, but do be careful when you try a 9 or anything with more pressure. Flirting with disaster IMO.  I have seen 45 comps back in the day break off and be projectiles down range. I have seen 38 super compensators blow out car windows. The car was a vehicle prop and the muzzle blast blew a hole in the hatchback glass, not from the bullet, but from the gases of the comp. I don't know how it would stay on a barrel.  Good luck.

I had a clamp-on .22 comp slide off a barrel once after a couple hundred rounds.  You're basically slide-hammering it forward with every shot, so you might need a divot or something in the barrel for a better hold.

Also heat will be a problem with 3d printed plastic. so don't shoot fast ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, corny said:

Comps work on gas, does the 45 acp have enough gas....9mm minor does not have enough gas,  so installing a comp on it is useless.

Plenty of Minor Open guns in steel challenge with comps. The right comp does indeed help

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Plenty of Minor Open guns in steel challenge with comps. The right comp does indeed help

You are right....very little.  Shooting minor in SC comps are mostly for show.

2 hours ago, corny said:

Comps work on gas, does the 45 acp have enough gas....9mm minor does not have enough gas,  so installing a comp on it is useless.

🤣

In what college are such things taught😉

Edited by yigal

In my experience a comp in minor does indeed help. You need a bigger pill or charge strong enough but with and without a comp I definitely see a difference. Have a look at the STI Steelmaster, and Tanfoglio Gold Team, back to back. The STI Steelmaster was designed for minor loads and speed. It has a one-piece Trubor comp. I am shooting a 147gr pill with a 3.3gn charge of TG. Without the comp the PF is above 130, with the comps it is below 125, and super flat:

The 45 ACP runs a pressure on the average of 21,000 psi and the 9mm runs a average pressure of 35,000 psi, plus the smaller diameter projectile has increased gas velocity.  9mm's do work comps if the comp is designed correctly.

• 1 month later...

There is enough gas to run a comp on the 45 ACP, running a Hycomp (Schuemann ribbed Comp Barrel) makes a big difference.  Two ports sized correctly will do the job.

I would recommend going to a 2 port version, comps are not designed based on gas but Fluid Dynamics.

I used to run a Tribrid 9mm in 3 gun at a PF of 140-145 and my six inch gun ran like a sewing machine.

My concern with the extended barrels and larger comp is the extra weight on the lower lugs.  Being a unramped barrel the additional stress on the lower lugs are likely to shorten the life of the barrel.  When ever someone wanted to build a surpressed 45 I would recommend a Clark/Para or Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel to help support the additional weight.

Nice to see someone working outside the box, my two cents worth if it helps.

Just an FYI on the 45 versus other calibers and compensators - compensators work on a 45.  The only difference between the effectiveness on a 45 versus smaller calibers is the bullet weight. 45s use heavier bullets than smaller calibers. If the bullet weight is the same on the 45 and smaller calibers, and they use the same gunpowder to push the bullet to the same speed, the compensated 45 will have less muzzle rise than the smaller calibers - because the 45 uses more powder weight because of the larger case and bore.

Tested 45 Auto and 38 Super: 

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/compensated-45-vs-compensated-38/99515

***UPDATE***

First range trip was a success. The comp works well, a little TOO well.
My 1911 had a 16# recoil spring, and the comp ate so much gas it didn't cycle, so I put in a 14#, still didn't quite cycle.
So I plan on going back tomorrow with a 12# and 10# recoil spring.
Shooting it felt like shooting 22LR, it was flat as a pancake. Just ridiculous...
I did film it, but I had to manually rack the slide after each round so it isn't a satisfying viewing.
Will film more tomorrow and share...

On 11/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, corny said:

Try 9 minor with a 95 gr bullet and a load of a slow gassy powder.   Then come back and tell us that it doesn't work.