Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production mag capacity

Stevetford

Reading the rule book just wanting to clarify a question about mag capacity in Production. This question pertains to loaded starts, the rule book says a max of 10 rounds in the mag after the start signal. I take this as I can actually load my first mag to 11 rounds, leaving only 10 in the mag after the load make ready signal. I’ve only played in IDPA so 10+1 starts is what I’m familiar with. I’ll be participating in my first USPSA match in a few weeks so just wanting to get some basic questions out of the way. Appreciate the help. 

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yes. Just remember 10 in the mag at the beep period

What Sarge said is the simplest way to remember it. I just want to add: if you forget your barney mag (the one with 11) in your back pocket or elsewhere, that's a bump to open. Even if you never use that mag during the course of fire.

25 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

that's a bump to open. Even if you never use that mag during the course of fire.

That used to be the case.  With the new rules mags can be placed anywhere on the belt and even in front or back pockets.  The only restriction on magazine and holster placement is the holster must be high enough that the heel of the gun is above the belt.

49 minutes ago, zzt said:

That used to be the case.  With the new rules mags can be placed anywhere on the belt and even in front or back pockets.  The only restriction on magazine and holster placement is the holster must be high enough that the heel of the gun is above the belt.

Placement of the magazine here is not the issue WRT the OP's question.  The number of rounds in it is.  It dosen't matter where the mag is ... If it is available to the shooter at or after the start signal and it contains more than 10 rounds - Welcome to Open.

4 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Placement of the magazine here is not the issue WRT the OP's question.  The number of rounds in it is.  It dosen't matter where the mag is ... If it is available to the shooter at or after the start signal and it contains more than 10 rounds - Welcome to Open.

whether or not that's the case, I have not yet ever in my life seen anyone inspect unused magazines and count the rounds. I have only seen shooters bumped to open for shooting more than 10 rounds without running dry.

8 hours ago, Bagellord said:

What Sarge said is the simplest way to remember it. I just want to add: if you forget your barney mag (the one with 11) in your back pocket or elsewhere, that's a bump to open. Even if you never use that mag during the course of fire.

Been there, done that. But only because I self reported. I had accidentally grabbed the 2nd to last mag on my belt at make ready instead of the last mag which I normally keep 11 rounds in. Imagine my surprise when the slide locked back at shot #10. At least I got to load my mags to full capacity for the last 2 stages…

21 hours ago, Bagellord said:

Carrying a magazine with ammo in it in a back pocket in P/CO/SS was never a bump to Open because it was in a place that didn't violate the old rules for ammo location.  Neither was carrying an empty magazine in a front pocket during the COF.

Carrying a mag with ammo in it in a front pocket in those three divisions was a bump to open but as has been said, it's no more.

20 hours ago, Stevetford said:

Thank you all for the replies and tips. Sounds like my IDPA start strategy will cross over to USPSA just fine. 

Yep, Production works exactly the same as IDPA when it comes to ammo management with one exception: you can reload and leave full, partially loaded, or empty magazines on the ground regardless of whether your pistol ran dry or not.

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Yep, Production works exactly the same as IDPA when it comes to ammo management with one exception: you can reload and leave full, partially loaded, or empty magazines on the ground regardless of whether your pistol ran dry or not.

Yes, that part I like much better 

10 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Carrying a magazine with ammo in it in a back pocket in P/CO/SS was never a bump to Open because it was in a place that didn't violate the old rules for ammo location.  Neither was carrying an empty magazine in a front pocket during the COF.

Carrying a mag with ammo in it in a front pocket in those three divisions was a bump to open but as has been said, it's no more.

As I said in my post, I was referring to the magazine having more than 10 rounds in it, not its location...

• 3 weeks later...

At Area2 this last weekend a competitor who was in production dropped a magazine with rounds in it after shooting 11 rounds. Moved to open. He did realize his mistake and jokingly said this is his first open classifier 😎