Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320 AXG vs WC P320, Which One?

Stuey

Looking to buy a different pistol for IDPA SSP/ USPSA Production competition.  Narrowed down to SIG P320 AXG or Wilson Combat P320, Full-Size.  I had a Legion X5 and did not like the grip or how it felt.  I am coming from a CZ Shadow SP-01.  

Which would you get and why?

If you didn't like the X5 Legion grip, I am not sure you would care for the Wilson grip all that much more.  While they are different, I did not feel that the Wilson was some sort of improvement over the X5 grip.  You could always buy the WC grip module and see how it feels running the X5 Slide and FCU if you still have it. 

If you do not have the X5 Legion anymore I would definitely try to hold a Wilson Grip Module before shelling that kind of money out for the whole WC gun. 

I have been super curious about the ability to change grip panels on the AXG, obviously not curious enough to shell out the $400 for the AXG to give it a shot. 

Edited by Boomstick303

I liked the Wilson grip module because it was more oval in the grip area, you could add the tungsten rods and the magwell opening was nice.

I prefer the AXG frame because of how it feels, especially with the LOK grips, and the way its weight is versus a regular frame. For me, AXG all the way.

Mine, the AXG, was shooting amazing groups at 25y, just resting it on a sandbag today. Like 10 rounds in 1.5"

11 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Do you feel the lockup on the AXG is any different than any of the other P320 you have owned or shot?

nope, and on my model the frame rail to slide fit is abominably sloppy as well. so I don't know.....

my recoil spring is 13 pounds, so not trying to force anything that way as well.

• 2 months later...

The AGX is something that’s on my list to buy. I simply enjoyed the way it felt. In my opinion, it had a sig 226ish feel to it. I’m not sure about the feel of the WC but how it was described to me, and how boomstick mentioned, not a ton different than the x series. Take that for a grain of salt though as I haven’t been able to make it to my buddies to shoot it yet. 

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I assume this is a 13 pound 1911 spring.  Did you swap out the captured recoil spring the gun came with?  If so what guide rod did you use?

On a Springer tungsten regular 320 guide rod. Now a 14lb ismi spring on same guide rod.

Edited by rowdyb

1 minute ago, bulldog009 said:

Is anyone actually running an AXG grip in competition?

I think most everyone that bought one is still figuring stuff out.  I intend to, but I have some work to do before I compete with it.  Load testing, tuning etc.  I did note that the AXG seems to hang up in my holster a little more than the Legions with the TXG grip modules.  Not sure why yet.  It is ever so slight but noticeable.  

Not sure what you mean by input on a potential trade.  

Just now, Boomstick303 said:

I think most everyone that bought one is still figuring stuff out.  I intend to, but I have some work to do before I compete with it.  Load testing, tuning etc.  I did note that the AXG seems to hang up in my holster a little more than the Legions with the TXG grip modules.  Not sure why yet.  It is ever so slight but noticeable.  

Not sure what you mean by input on a potential trade.  

I have a trade I'm considering where I would receive an AXG 320 and am just gauging what people are thinking about them. I am wanting to build a compensated P320 to use in 3 gun, and have been planning to use the TXG grip and a subcompact slide with the Parker Mountain Ultra Compensator. With this potential trade, I am trying to decide if I could achieve a similar result with the AXG, and if anyone has run them in competition 

2 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

I could achieve a similar result with the AXG, and if anyone has run them in competition 

I am sure the results would be fairly similar in performance if you are talking about a comparison of a 5" P320 versus the AXG model with a shorter barrel.  The reason I want to try the P320 AXG is because you can change grip panels.  I am also curious about running 9mm guns with 4.6 to 4.7 inch barrels compared to 9mm using 5" barrels for return to zero purposes when tuning the different guns.  I am not sure which AXG model you are buying or what works with the PM comp but I would make sure the barrel length is the correct length for that addition.  Not sure if they require a threaded compact barrel or a threaded Full size barrel for that setup.  I cannot remember if there is a difference between a sub compact slide and the compact slide.  

One thing to note, is I have noted the optic plate adapters are few and far between currently depending on the optic you are looking to use.  I sent an email to Springer if they are going to make a something other than the RMR plate they currently make for the AXG Pro.  They have not returned my email yet.  I am currently running a DPP and it is a snug direct fit to the AXG Pro slide.  I am looking for a Sig Romeo 3 Max/XL adapter plate.  I intend to run a P320 Max and the AXG Pro this summer in CO and decide which way to go at the end of the season, so I am hoping to use the same optic for an apt comparison.

On a side note, I did build a Comped P320 using the Killer Innovations setup for 3Gun/2Gun Open and it works pretty good.  It is  a pretty flat shooter, but I am looking for a better option for the grip module.  I may splurge for a second AXG module for it.  Not digging the poly X grip I have on there now.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, Boomstick303 said:

It is  a pretty flat shooter, but I am looking for a better option for the grip module.  I may splurge for a second AXG module for it.  Not digging the poly X grip I have on there now.  

Have you considered the icarus grip Module? I’ve been looking at it but really want to see one in person somewhere before I spend the money.

4 hours ago, X5SigChris said:
On 2/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, Boomstick303 said:

Have you considered the icarus grip Module?

I have seen that grip on some builds on here. I really have no interest. The reason the AXG intrigues me is the replaceable grip panels. I just purchased the AXG Pro and some Brass Lok Grips to use in CO. So the timer will tell the tale. 

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have seen that grip on some builds on here. I really have no interest. The reason the AXG intrigues me is the replaceable grip panels. I just purchased the AXG Pro and some Brass Lok Grips to use in CO. So the timer will tell the tale. 

Absolutely understand and don’t really blame you. Just wanted to toss an option. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve got two Wilson frames on guns I’ve assembled. They feel great but the AXG is better in my opinion. I don’t have any weights in those two guns so I would expect the AXG Pro to be friendlier for recoil as well. 

Personally, I have trouble seeing the pull for the full Wilson guns. The frame is like $80 bucks and I think they just give a sig slide a facelift. Certainly cool, but not the same value in my mind when compared with the (roughly) equally priced AXG that has a well machined aluminum grip. Just feels like you’re getting more there, to me.

The Wilson is not worth the squeeze in my eyes.  You are still talking about a polymer frame for $1,400.  Plus you can change out the grip panels on the AXG.  The AXG is the best P320 I have shot, mostly due to the grip module.  Mind you I have not shot the Wilson, but I do have a Wilson grip on my carry P320.  Its nice, but no where as nice as the AXG.