Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 "grip safety"

Bakerjd

I currently building a commander 2011 and even with the rule update I'm having a hard time figuring out if the non functional beavertail safety on a cheely grip is OK or a no go. If I need to have a functioning grip safety it's OK I just want to fit it before sending everything off to coating or finish blending everything. It will be setup for CO division. 

Much thanks,

Josh Baker

The answer is no.

Here is your answer.

8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions
The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the
rulebook.

E. Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing
pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80
frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the
hammer can fall when the cylinder is open.

I'd say your best bet is for it to work.

As Repete pointed out you can't disable a safety. You could try to make the case you didn't disable the safety because the gun was built with out one. There are a lot of Altas, infinity, and cheely guns out there that came with just a plug a never had a grip safety to disable. But building it yourself you'll have a hard time proving that. You might be able to argue you way into matches but there will be a risk you're not allowed to shoot. You might want to keep a hundo on you to try to arb it too. 

Safe bet, make it work. If it messes with your grip you can tweak them so just barely touching it will disengage it. 

I was doing equipment check at a major IDPA match and I failed Mark Redl's SS Colt because the grip safety was worn that bad as not to function.  He asked if he could use his backup gun, which passed inspection.  I was prepared to let him use my STI.

Mark is a great guy as a person and a gentleman.

6 minutes ago, RePete said:

I was doing equipment check at a major IDPA match and I failed Mark Redl's SS Colt because the grip safety was worn that bad as not to function.  He asked if he could use his backup gun, which passed inspection.  I was prepared to let him use my STI.

Mark is a great guy as a person and a gentleman.

I've shot with Mark a couple times, lot of fun, great guy to squad with.

I had one of my GS's fail at inspection once. I went and found a file and filed the back on the MSH so the safety could swing out just a little more. g2g. 

On 11/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I'd say your best bet is for it to work.

As Repete pointed out you can't disable a safety. You could try to make the case you didn't disable the safety because the gun was built with out one. There are a lot of Altas, infinity, and cheely guns out there that came with just a plug a never had a grip safety to disable. But building it yourself you'll have a hard time proving that. You might be able to argue you way into matches but there will be a risk you're not allowed to shoot. You might want to keep a hundo on you to try to arb it too. 

Safe bet, make it work. If it messes with your grip you can tweak them so just barely touching it will disengage it. 

See that's the thing. The gun is being built by D2 Customs using a cheely frame, and grip. And like you said many 2011s are built by companies with out it at all which would be the same thing. 

I think I'll email them and see. 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:04 AM, Bakerjd said:

I think I'll email them and see. 

I'm interested in what you hear back.  It seems like the argument could be made that if the gun was built without a grip safety that you're not disconnecting or disabling anything.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:14 AM, Bakerjd said:

Also another thing I just thought of. What mags does everyone use for these since the slide has to lock back and it has to fit the box?

Plain STI mags should work fine. You don't want to change the followers like we do in uspsa. 

I think MBX also has a different follower for locking the slide open, haven't tried them myself. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

11 hours ago, Michael303 said:

I'm interested in what you hear back.  It seems like the argument could be made that if the gun was built without a grip safety that you're not disconnecting or disabling anything.

The email listed on their website came back as invalid. Lol. I did ask a couple builders and they all said they build them with the non functioning beavertail. It's a bit of a gamble I guess. This is irritating. 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

The email listed on their website came back as invalid. Lol. I did ask a couple builders and they all said they build them with the non functioning beavertail. It's a bit of a gamble I guess. This is irritating. 

Rules questions are supposed to go to your AC.

In our area it's typically the same couple guys that always do equipment check. If it's like that in your area I'd talk to those guys too. 

8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

You might try your area or section coordinator.  Mine was fairly responsive.  https://www.idpa.com/coordinator-chart/

Edited by Michael303

2 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Thank you. Email my coordinator. I find it odd they don't do like USPSA and have a set rules people so everyone gets the same answer. 

They used have a rules repository that was not in any usable order and it was deleted.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MarkS_A18138 said:

Both my Atlas NYX's passed Tech at a Major, never even a question about the grip! Lots of Atlas in IDPA including the nationals this year.   

Because they are making some awesome pistols these days!!  I'm waiting for their dedicated LE pistol to come out in January.  Supposed to have an aluminum frame, shorter, less aggressive grip and external extractor.  I can't carry the Nyx at my new job because it will wear a hole in my skin/shirt in about 1 shift.......

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Because they are making some awesome pistols these days!!  I'm waiting for their dedicated LE pistol to come out in January.  Supposed to have an aluminum frame, shorter, less aggressive grip and external extractor.  I can't carry the Nyx at my new job because it will wear a hole in my skin/shirt in about 1 shift.......

I added the crazy aggressive grip panels! That would be great for daily carry, you would be bleeding after 10 min! 

15 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Now, now, Moto, IDPA now has fault lines with ZERO relationship to "cover" and the recent AC's letter makes ESP nearly as wide open as Production.

There, I fixed it for you!🤣

• 3 months later...