Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 92 to buy these days for Production?

lfine

I know it's not as popular as it used to be, and I won't really be using this until a shoulder heals, but which Beretta 92 do people prefer? Between the newer Beretta ones and the Langdon, etc. there are a few. Thanks for any help.

No expert here, but I would be looking between one of the Langdon guns and the m9a4. Maybe the performance model, bit probably not. 

I have not held an m9a4, but I feel that is where I would probably end up. 

I had an M9A3 but changed the sights and barrel because I didn't need night sights or a threaded barrel. I shoot a 92A1 but it's a bit the red-headed step child of 92s.

If I were to buy today I would either get a standard 92X full size and add a Langdon "trigger job in a bag" (or just change the mainspring in the beginning) as the cheaper option or buy from LTT directly.

I shoot a 92FS, basically because it's what I had when I decided to try USPSA.  The two issues I have with it are the sights and the safety.  The safety is the easier fix - I can put a G kit in it and turn the safety into a decocker, which would prevent the (rare) issues I've had with either forgetting to flip the safety off after holstering at "make ready" or accidentally putting it on if I run the gun dry and have to reload during a stage (my loads don't always lock the slide back). 

The sights are tougher, since the front sight isn't dovetailed. I'm contemplating getting a Vertec slide or an M9A3 slide to replace the one I have now. I think the front sight is too thick and short to allow precise aiming on distant or smaller targets. I'd like to be able to replace the front with a thinner sight with a fiber optic and the rear with an adjustable target sight (I could do that now but if I end up getting a new slide I'd rather only do the work once). 

So, if I was getting into it now and looking for a 92 variant, I'd get one with a dovetailed front sight and also has (or can accept) the decocker.

Personally I think the G model is the way to go, especially since it is spring loaded to return to DA mode after it decocks.  I’m currently shooting Shadow 2’s in Prod/CO but got a LTT Elite to play with and satisfy the urge to own at least one Beretta (damn you John McLane and Martin Riggs…).  In a DA/SA gun I see no need for a thumb safety, be it slide or frame mounted.  I don’t think I’ve ever engaged the safety on my Shadow 2s in a match.  The gun is either in DA mode with hammer down, or if it is hammer back in SA I am shooting.  

On 11/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, lfine said:

Well, the 92X looks great - hope I can find one locally to check out - but of course the Langdon ones are really nice. Anyone want to weigh in on a preference?

If you're happy with the Vertec grip, go with the Performance. If you don't like the Vertec grip, get one of the others.

Reason being the wraparound grip Beretta provides with the Performance is junk, and you'll have to heavily modify a Hogue grip to get a good version.

Performance is a great gun, but it's been over two years and nobody has made a decent wraparound grip yet.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, lfine said:

Well, the 92X looks great - hope I can find one locally to check out - but of course the Langdon ones are really nice. Anyone want to weigh in on a preference?

Kinda funny - the Beretta 92 is hitting a much needed resurgence of popularity these days. 10 years ago, there were only a few folks using any kinda of 92 (Elite if you could find them, or 92FS/92G models) in any of the action shooting sports.

The base template for all the guns is really similar - the biggest differences are in the vertec vs humped grip, slides with dovetails or integral sights, or the really different 92XPerf which has safeties a different trigger feel and has a steel frame vs alloy. 

I've been shooting a LTT RDO for most of the season trying to learn the Red Dot. I won IDPA Nationals (ESP) with a lightly tuned LTT. I really don't mind the "humped" alloy frame... 

You can't really go wrong with any 92 - but maybe try out the grip profiles/sight combinations... 

I’ve been using a Wilson Combat Beretta 92g Brigadier Tactical since they came out for production division & 3 gun.  I really love it.  If I had to start over with a new pistol now I’d probably go with a Langdon LTT.  I like the traditional grip and it’s the only model that they take off the sharp point where the trigger guard connects to the frame next to mag release.  During long shooting sessions that point can rub my middle finger raw.  I may pick one up with a trigger job to back up my BrigTac eventually.

• 1 month later...

Other than the all steel 'Performance' models the EliteLTT is the best of the 92s as long as you like the traditional grip shape. If trigger reach is a problem one of the 92Xs would help that. I shoot an M9A1 w/ a Vertec slide so I can change front sights. The advantage of the M9A1,A3,A4s are the checkering on the front and rear of the grip and the flared mag well. BTW an FS slide can be modded to FO at home if you are somewhat handy w/ tools. I ground away some of the middle of the front sight (looking at it from the side) and then drilled through it for the FO. A standard 1/16" drill bit is .062 inch and one of the standard FO sizes is .060 inch. This works just fine. Since the FO is a little shorter than on my Dawson sights it is not quite as bright as they are but it definitely works.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cQarAd][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/4885/45833650892_7046b9c5ef_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2cQarAd]20180921_073216[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

For the last four years I have been shooting a M9A3, and have been pretty dam happy with it.

I recently got my hands on a 92X. It has a lot of the features included on the M9A3 except at a much lower price point.

The frame to slide and frame to barrel lock up is way tighter and I think it is prettier in some regards. Plus the grips are the best factory plastic I’ve felt. The stock sights are surprisingly really good, it’s like they ripped off a set of the “pep sights”. 

i’ve shot a couple of 92X performance models, and while the weight of the gun is nice while shooting, I found it pretty sluggish on transitions and reloads. Plus I’m not a fan of having to manually drop the hammer. I hated having to do that when I ran a CZ. 

Out of the box change the recoil, mainspring and a G lever (if not factory) and you’ve got a hell of shooter. But a steel guide rod, steel mainspring cap, elite hammer and G10 grips landed on mine. 

5 hours ago, shaun paterson said:

Plus I’m not a fan of having to manually drop the hammer. I hated having to do that when I ran a CZ. 

It mystifies me why they put a thumb safety on a gun suitable mostly for Production.  Seems a G would be better.

2 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

It mystifies me why they put a thumb safety on a gun suitable mostly for Production.  Seems a G would be better.

Mystified me more that they put huge paddles on the levers, and made them overlap the slide, AND CAUSE THE GUN TO NOT FIT IN THE USPSA PRODUCTION BOX on these safeties that will rarely be used.

That and not making a quality wraparound grip.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a shoulder problem, you may be able to shoot one of the Beretta 92/96 pistols with a .22 conversion kit.  There are several conversion kits, and two from Beretta, one being made by Beretta in the past, and another by Umarex for Beretta now.  Both of the Beretta conversions have aluminum slides, which lightens the pistol a lot.  

Before you buy anything, ask yourself what you want to do with it.  Also, for serious use pistols, you probably want safeties that have forward/up for safe, or down/back for safe:  a pistol school I belong to tracks NDs, and many are 92FS (up/forward is fire) shooters who are temporarily shooting a 1911 (up is safe), and they holster a loaded/cocked/off-safe 1911).  

Are you required to use a safety?  During jam clearance drills, I frequently accidentally push on the 92FS safety.  If you are required to carry on safe the way the US Army does, you need to have a manual of arms that always includes a thumb-flick to get the safety off.  If a Safety is not required, either go with a "G" slide or go with the "G" conversion available from Beretta.  

Mention is made of the Vertec grip frame.  It is cut down to nearly the 1911 grip frame dimensions.  

• 1 month later...

I just shot my first match with my Langdon LTT RDO np3 carry bevel…. I love it.

if I was going to get another beretta for production I’d probably do either a Langdon trigger job 92x performance or a LTT np3 from Langdon.

basically get it from Langdon with their trigger work and np3 if available and it’ll be fantastic.

• 5 weeks later...

One more wrinkle. IDPA now allows the use of a light. So the all steel guns are less attractive since a light under the barrel helps. I am sure it isn't quite the same but close enough for me that I no longer lust for a 92XDefensive. But that means you need a rail on the frame. It may be OK to use an adapter plus a light but I am not sure on that.