Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LabRadar and Possible Fix for Mobile App

Android.

From my research, it seems the IOS devices are more reliable but not completely immune where Android devices seem more hit & miss.  I'm using a cheap phone that could be part of my issue but it's reliable with every other Bluetooth device I have. 

Edited to add..

I've forgotten how long I've been chasing this issue!  I've tested using several past phones as well as tablets and have experienced this issue across all devices.

Edited by Stuntman

• 1 year later...

I just noticed LabRadar posted another firmware update in September; 2.0.0  They've been slow to post updates but I have seen noticeable improvements over the past few updates.  Not perfect but less buggy Bluetooth with each update.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Speedwagon said:

I always had problems trying to connect with Bluetooth so just used the SD card. I just installed the update and it connects fine now. Now just need to see it it'll connect at the range. You know how that goes. 

I hear that!  I've also installed the latest firmware and seems LabRadar has gotten a little better with each release but this has been going on for YEARS!

In my view LabRadar has done nothing to generate customer good will and I have to admit I'm quite chuffed to see Garmin come out with their own chrono.  It would appear they are eating LabRadar's lunch.

Yea, I thought between their price drop and firmware update LabRadar figured they better get their act together or Garmin will as you say...eat their lunch. Heck, if I was looking now I'd probably go with the Garmin because of portability for one thing. 

It's going to be interesting to see what the major matches will be using. Since they already mostly use LabRadar I'm guessing most will stick with them.

If majors want to use 2 chronos, the Garmin isn't gonna cut it if it does not have selectable channels to eliminate cosite interference like the LabRadar. I did not see the ability in the Garmin user manual after a brief search.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I did not see the ability in the Garmin user manual after a brief search.

When I was first introduced to the Garmin it was on Area 419's channel.  In their launch video it mentioned they used it at a range with a couple of Garmins, and the Garmin does have the ability to hop channels.  

At minute 3:55 in the video it goes into that.  

I think it would be fine.  Not sure why the manual would not mention that.  Garmin is pretty detailed in manuals for other products.

Edited by Boomstick303