Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 34 Timney problem

Pat B.

Installed the trigger but no joy...  Something is amiss, you can't pull the trigger far enough to the rear to release the striker.. 

With the slide on or off trigger movement is too limited.. Feels like it gets very near to where the striker should release but then stops..

Trigger bar has two 90' bends towards the rear of the bar.. One of those bends is contacting an abutment in the frame, trigger can't come any farther back it appears..

Any idea what's going on ?

Appreciate any help !

I installed mine in a 34.4, could not get it to run.  Swapped out housing, tried multiple connectors, no matter what, would not go.  Pulled out a second 34.4 I had, dropped it in and it worked no issues.

Whether I was not getting the right angle on the connector, I don't know.  Once I got the trigger working in that backup 34.4, I lost all interest in trying to solve it on the first one.

20 minutes ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

It's the screw in the front of the trigger. Play with that adjustment and you'll have it. 

It's a sensitive one, doesn't take much to take it to the point where it is too far.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CPD7119 said:

I'm pretty sure Glock 34's come with a minus connector. If it matters for ya.

The Gen 5 comes with a dot connector. There are times when a minus connector in a Gen 5 will break too far to the rear to use the Timney trigger and that is why i asked. The standard Gen 3 connector breaks more forward and is the best connector i have found for this combo.

2 hours ago, CPD7119 said:

I'm pretty sure Glock 34's come with a minus connector. If it matters for ya.

The Non LEO models come standard with a minus connector and the LEO models come standard with a dot connector but can be ordered with a minus connector.

i have installed and tuned 22 Gen 5 model 34's to date. They have all had dot connectors in them. I have tried minus connectors in these guns with about 40% of them not working with the Timney trigger because the minus connector breaks so far to the rear the trigger bar runs into the frame before the trigger breaks. If they can be ordered with a minus connector i stand corrected on that. However, there are some Gen 5's that will not work with the Timney and a minus connector. I have found the non marked, Gen 3 standard connector to work the best in the Gen 5 with the Timney in every case. 

15 minutes ago, Cuz said:

This seems like a lot of work. Are the Timney triggers really worth the cost and effort?  I’ve never tried one so I don’t know. 

Thanks. 

They are.  The first G34.4 I put it on I could not get it to work.  Regardless of the parts I swapped out it would not run.  Grabbed my backup 34.4 and it went it slick as all git-out. Got a second one for my 34.3, went in that same way.  2.5 trigger pull, stock striker and 4.5 pound spring, lights off everything.  spp, spp magnum, SR, all I could get with my lightened stock which was also 2.5 pounds with a 4 lb spring was SPP.

I was skeptical at first, a fellow Glock shooter had one and I played with it.  He tried mine and the feel was identical in both guns, the difference was what it would eat.  Frankly the money was worth it.  I have 2 34.4's, 2 34.3's and 2 17.3's.  I move slides around on the respective guns so I always have something to play with on the Timney's.  Put an adapter on the 17.3 slide and it now runs perfectly on the Gen 4 frames.  Hats off to Heavy Armor Division for the adapter.

Edited by vluc

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

This seems like a lot of work. Are the Timney triggers really worth the cost and effort?  I’ve never tried one so I don’t know. 

Thanks. 

Ive had the gen 5 trigger in my 34.5 since it came out. Took me 10 min to install and has worked fine ever since. Even if I had to spend some time getting it to work, the trigger is on a whole new level and in my mind what will likely keep me from moving on to a shadow 2.

2 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Ive had the gen 5 trigger in my 34.5 since it came out. Took me 10 min to install and has worked fine ever since. Even if I had to spend some time getting it to work, the trigger is on a whole new level and in my mind what will likely keep me from moving on to a shadow 2.

Can you explain what is it about the trigger that makes it better. Now I’m starting to think I need one. 

2.5 lb pull, use stock parts, lights off a variety of primers that makes it usable on almost any primer that you can get for your pistol.  Small pistol primers, small pistol magnum and small rifle.  With primers in short supply you don't need to drop lots of dollars if you find a different type of primer than you usually use and have them not work.

Case in point, I had some CCI magnum #550.  In my lightened Glock trigger I had a Johnny Glock shoe, polished and tuned connector, lightened striker, 13# ISMI recoil spring and a 4lb striker spring.  Pull measured at 2.5-2.75 pounds and reliably set of federal, cci and Winchester small pistol primers that I had.  But would not light off the cci magnum.

Timney installed using the same connector, but with a stock striker, a 4.5# striker spring and the 13# recoil spring.  Lit off every single cci magnum primer.  So what I now have is an entire line of primers that I can utilize in my pistol.  Borrowed some small rifle primer loads - they went bang.  

That was the best $150 I spent on my gun, and I'd run most of the triggers out there.  Vogel, Vanick, DK, Johnny Glock.  YMMV, but try it, if you don't like it, post if for sale and it will end up being gobbled up (Thanksgiving pun intentional!).

21 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

i have installed and tuned 22 Gen 5 model 34's to date. They have all had dot connectors in them. I have tried minus connectors in these guns with about 40% of them not working with the Timney trigger because the minus connector breaks so far to the rear the trigger bar runs into the frame before the trigger breaks. If they can be ordered with a minus connector i stand corrected on that. However, there are some Gen 5's that will not work with the Timney and a minus connector. I have found the non marked, Gen 3 standard connector to work the best in the Gen 5 with the Timney in every case. 

I had the same issue, only with a G35.3.  The Timney would fire, but not reset consistently or positively.

Out came the trusty Dremel with a quarter inch long - barrel type of cutter that would not make anything deeper, but would cut sideways.  See @superslomo photo posted October 27, area circled in red; that's where I relieved it to allow just a little more rearward travel...problem solved!  

Reset is now crisp and sure, with a stock Glock minus connector; TP sub 2#.

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Is the trigger return mushy?  Or is it crisp?

It's crisp, which I care about more than pull weight. But on my completely stock 34.5 my pull measured about 3 lbs with dot connector.

I'm planning on building a backup gun at some point in the next year and it'll get the Timney trigger as well.