Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is plastic the new atlas?

RJH

I really like the AXG Pro I have. More so because of its shape versus its weight. As it is an aluminum grip it isn't as heavy as the TXG grip, whose shape I hate. I love the LOK grips on my AXG, I love the Gray Guns trigger in my AXG and I like how the Pro Cut slide is lighter and the way they do their mix of optic and iron sights. I've never used it with the tiny magwell that comes with the gun.

Since the AXG Pro isn't on the Production list for either USPSA or IPSC it is totally a backburner thing for me, just a goof off gun. The compact Scorpion model is but not the full size gun.

If they, SIG, made the AXG grip exactly as it is now but in steel and got it on the Prod list I would totally shoot one all the time. Especially with the Pro-Cut slide that came on my AXG Pro.

Have people already forgotten Vogel and Sevigny when they think about great shooters of plastic guns? It's nothing new. As long as the gun functions 100% and your ammo makes pf it is ALL, and I repeat ALL, about you you and you again when it comes to doing well in matches from a crappy local in in a gravel pit to winning Nats.

40 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Have people already forgotten Vogel and Sevigny when they think about great shooters of plastic guns? It's nothing new. As long as the gun functions 100% and your ammo makes pf it is ALL, and I repeat ALL, about you you and you again when it comes to doing well in matches from a crappy local in in a gravel pit to winning Nats.

and you hang a frame weight on the gun.....

I think maybe Sevigny and Vogel were seen as outliers in limited. I am not sure but I don't think Vogel ever won limited Nationals, but now with the top 5 having several places occupied repeatedly by people shooting plastic, it seems a little bit different. Of course it comes down to the shooter, but just a few back I don't think most people really believed that . I think that Sevigny was an anomaly and plastic couldn't really compete in limited was the common way of thinking.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I think maybe Sevigny and Vogel were seen as outliers in limited. I am not sure but I don't think Vogel ever won limited Nationals, but now with the top 5 having several places occupied repeatedly by people shooting plastic, it seems a little bit different. Of course it comes down to the shooter, but just a few back I don't think most people really believed that . I think that Sevigny was an anomaly and plastic couldn't really compete in limited was the common way of thinking.

Correct about Vogel never winning Limited. He won L10 and Prod 2x each.

4 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Can you provide a ballpark? Sub $2k? Sub $3k?

C'MON MAN..... Are you seriously asking about potential pricing on a Unicorn One Off Prototype gun from random people on an internet forum??? Don't be "That Guy".

20 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Like many things in life, I believe top tier equipment does help lower skilled guys to a degree, but the top tier guys will beat you with just about anything.

My Atlas is far more accurate than my P320s. Is that going to win me anything?  Nope. But man it’s so much more fun to shoot. Like @CHA-LEE once said, “Once you have driven an F1, it’s hard to drive an F-150”.

And yes, this discussion is always interesting. 

Yep and I've tried it several times.    

6 hours ago, RJH said:

I think that Sevigny was an anomaly and plastic couldn't really compete in limited was the common way of thinking.

For Dave, it was the magazines. They were perfectly reliable when loaded at factory capacity, but he couldn't get any extension to be reliable enough to risk on major matches.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:22 AM, B_RAD said:

Wow. I’m on here less and less but I see the topics/questions never change. 

Neither does the answer. Skill. 

so where do people congregate now? where can someone find the 2005-2010 benos experience that I got into the sport too late to enjoy?

9 hours ago, llamasabound said:

so where do people congregate now? where can someone find the 2005-2010 benos experience that I got into the sport too late to enjoy?

Ah, good times, good times....

Edited by vluc

12 hours ago, llamasabound said:

I've been on Enos for quite a while, and it's been pretty much the same since I've been on here. I wasn't on in the early 2000s or anything though, and I can't exactly remember when I got on here first. If there's anything you feel like you're missing, start a thread on that and maybe somebody that knows about it will chime in. I started this thread kind of in jest, but with a little bit of interest as well. I'm not good enough that I can win in any division even if I was shooting an open gun LOL, so it really doesn't matter to me. It was interesting though to see plastic guns in the top five for a few years in a row now. Since I've been on here I've only seen a few top people comment, brad and Cha-lee being two of them. So if you hear them give advice, listen. Most of the people on here seem to be B class, just like most of the people in the USPSA end up being B&C class LOL. So if you have a specific question ask it, and you'll get some decent answers. But it is the internet and so sometimes threads just kind of go off the rails and turn into pissing matches 👍🏻

3 hours ago, RJH said:

I've been on Enos for quite a while, and it's been pretty much the same since I've been on here. I wasn't on in the early 2000s or anything though, and I can't exactly remember when I got on here first. If there's anything you feel like you're missing, start a thread on that and maybe somebody that knows about it will chime in. I started this thread kind of in jest, but with a little bit of interest as well. I'm not good enough that I can win in any division even if I was shooting an open gun LOL, so it really doesn't matter to me. It was interesting though to see plastic guns in the top five for a few years in a row now. Since I've been on here I've only seen a few top people comment, brad and Cha-lee being two of them. So if you hear them give advice, listen. Most of the people on here seem to be B class, just like most of the people in the USPSA end up being B&C class LOL. So if you have a specific question ask it, and you'll get some decent answers. But it is the internet and so sometimes threads just kind of go off the rails and turn into pissing matches 👍🏻

Understood and thanks!

20 hours ago, llamasabound said:

I'd probably just go to the oldest post in each section and start reading there. I'm likely to do the same since I've only started seriously shooting a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I'd probably just go to the oldest post in each section and start reading there. I'm likely to do the same since I've only started seriously shooting a couple years ago.

So just out of curiosity I did this. Rules section was about the same, except for all the "is this legal in production" questions that used to dominate the section, kinda glad that's mostly gone. The USPSA shooting section was pretty much the same as now, only the names and dates were changed LOL 

I think people sometimes think a site used to be better when in reality they are just tired of answering the same questions and get a little burnt out. I find myself rotating around to the same few sites because of this. I get tired of one and look at a different one for a while

On 10/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, RileyBowman said:

Correct about Vogel never winning Limited. He won L10 and Prod 2x each.

The last time I held the timer for Vogel, he beat all the Limited and Open shooters but maybe one in a state sectional, on a field course, with a basically stock G35 in Limited-10.  Granted it was only one stage, but he beat a lot of people--about 300 of them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, llamasabound said:

🤷‍♂️  Just know,… most the time, the answer is skill. Not gear! 

Edited by B_RAD

On 10/27/2021 at 10:56 PM, llamasabound said:

If you're looking for a forum where people are just talking about getting better I'd check out Ben's group PTSG. You have to pay to be there which seems to keep things in line. 

28 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

If you're looking for a forum where people are just talking about getting better I'd check out Ben's group PTSG. You have to pay to be there which seems to keep things in line. 

Yeah. If the OP wants quality info, PSTG is the place to go. No drama. No bad info to sort thru. Just good, correct info. 

On 11/22/2021 at 7:25 PM, Steppenwolf said:

B_Rad: You and Jacob H. did not shoot CO Nats this year. I hope you guys are not taking the ride into the sunset option. I am giving CO a try and your 2nd place previous year CO Nats video was quite instructive (as are Jacob's videos).

I had way too much going on with work, life, etc in the weeks leading up to Nats. I had to back out. I ended up getting sick that week so it was best I ended up not going.   

I'm also dealing with serious burnout.  I have zero desire to shoot right now. 

The org has some issues right now! That's not helping cure my burnout. 

Maybe a long off season will help? Though, I'm finding it difficult to get away from everything. 

The video of 2020 nats has only a few stages. I don't film myself. Those were taken by a buddy.  Most of them in the video are bad stages for me. 

Edited by B_RAD