Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is plastic the new atlas?

RJH

For the second year in a row a plastic gun has won limited, and this year the top three guns in limited were plastic. I know in the past several years there's been plastic guns in the top five, so I got to know who's tossing in their atlas's and SV's and jumping on the plastic bandwagon? I've pretty much always shot plastic in limited, that was because  I'm one of the poor's, but maybe I'm just going to start telling everybody I was ahead of the curve LOL

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

For the second year in a row a plastic gun has won limited, and this year the top three guns in limited were plastic. I know in the past several years there's been plastic guns in the top five, so I got to know who's tossing in their atlas's and SV's and jumping on the plastic bandwagon? I've pretty much always shot plastic in limited, that was because  I'm one of the poor's, but maybe I'm just going to start telling everybody I was ahead of the curve LOL

The gun is only perhaps 10-20% of the equation. Christian Sailer didn’t win every single Area match plus Nationals last year with an SVI… because he shot an Infinity.

Guys here on Enos sit around and BS about which recoil spring will give them the biggest advantage… While the guys who placed in the top three are training until their hands bleed, taping them up, and training some more.

But then, you knew this already.

This same discussion happens many times a year. 😉

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The gun is only perhaps 10-20% of the equation. Christian Sailer didn’t win every single Area match plus Nationals last year with an SVI… because he shot an Infinity.

Guys here on Enos sit around and BS about which recoil spring will give them the biggest advantage while the guys who placed in the top three are training until their hands bleed.

But then, you knew this already.

This same discussion happens many times a year. 😉

I agree with all of that except, 10 to 20% I think is a huge overreach on what the gun matters. At least  in limited division. Hell Nils was shooting a plastic minor gun and got second by less than a percent. I Always bounce back and forth between the gun basically not mattering, or being at most 3%. But I suck so I don't know LOL

Edited by RJH

It's not like they're shooting stock G17s, 320s, etc. vs. everyone else with top shelf 2011s.  Those guns are all pretty tricked out, to the point that the difference really isn't that big.  Plus, for the top guys, the gun is a pretty small factor in the equation.  So, the results aren't that surprising.  

13 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

It's not like they're shooting stock G17s, 320s, etc. vs. everyone else with top shelf 2011s.  Those guns are all pretty tricked out, to the point that the difference really isn't that big.  Plus, for the top guys, the gun is a pretty small factor in the equation.  So, the results aren't that surprising.  

Agree, but I bet Nil's  canik, or Mason's sig could be built for way less than two grand, I don't know what the highest place 2011 is, but I bet it cost considerably more. Just interesting to me and proves how little the gun matters, when plastic crapperware can beat custom 2011. Like I said though doesn't really matter to me, I shoot plastic because I'm poor not because I feel it's better LOL 

And don't take any of what I say to believe that I think plastic guns are overall better than 2011 or anything like that, just an interesting discussion is all

Maybe in the case of Mason, but I do not think much is done to Nils’s Guns.  I could be wrong.  The fact that Nils shot a plastic 9mm in Minor and placed second in Limited less than 1% behind Mason is crazy.  

One thing is is for certain. Sig, Canik and Beretta could not be happier today. 

4 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Maybe in the case of Mason, but I do not think much is done to Nils’s Guns.  I could be wrong.  The fact that Nils shot a plastic 9mm in Minor and placed second in Limited less than 1% behind Mason is crazy.  

Who was shooting a beretta? I thought coley was shooting a Glock of some sort. But I could definitely be wrong

Like many things in life, I believe top tier equipment does help lower skilled guys to a degree, but the top tier guys will beat you with just about anything.

My Atlas is far more accurate than my P320s. Is that going to win me anything?  Nope. But man it’s so much more fun to shoot. Like @CHA-LEE once said, “Once you have driven an F1, it’s hard to drive an F-150”.

And yes, this discussion is always interesting. 

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

Who was shooting a beretta?

Sorry, a little out place, but JJ won CO with a Beretta I believe. Didn’t he also shoot open with one?

I do not think Coley is ever leaving Glock. From what I understand he has a pretty sweet deal.  Not sure if it’s true but I heard someone else loads his practice mags for him. Who leaves that?

Edited by Boomstick303

17 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

And Bruce Gray! Grayguns upper on an X5 lower I believe. And although the results wouldn’t suggest it, I hear Mason was playing around with an aluminum frame and soon steel frame limited ptypes. But as far as Mason goes maybe it’s one of those if it ain’t broke don’t fix situations. 

13 hours ago, VigilAndy said:

And Bruce Gray! Grayguns

If they would ever sell any of those creations. I have heard of a lot of interesting things coming out of their shop. Isaac Lockwood shoots with a full size barrel and Slide from what I remember built by Grayguns. I have yet to see any mention of releasing an P320 in 40 similar to what Mason shoots or even the parts to build it. It would be cool to see some of that stuff come to market, but I do not think we ever will at this point. 

I think @rowdybhas started messing around with the AXG module with a P320 full size model.  I am interested to hear what his thoughts are after shooting it a bit. A buddy I shoot CO with and I are curious about that grip module and the ability to change grip panels. I am also curious about the durability of the AXG module. 

But again, the gun does not seem to matter much so I most likely will not flesh that piece of equipment out. Throwing good money at nothing most likely. 

Edited by Boomstick303

I put a fullsize slide on an AXG grip module too. But I put the classic wood grips on it. Purely for looks. I do like how it comes into my grip on draw a little better than the X5 Legion. But the trigger on the X5 is better. I think thats a Grayguns trigger. I’m going to send one of them off to the Sig Armorer for a match barrel, probably the X5. But I’m tempted to run with the AXG. I’m not much of a shooter (yet) so Rowdy would be the better perspective for sure on these two. 

i wouldn’t be surprised if Grayguns comes out with at least the parts to put together a 40 limited. And it would be sweet with a steel frame. 

2 hours ago, warpspeed said:

Unless I didn't understand his posts on IG, Mason's gun had an aluminum grip. A Sig of some sort - don't ask me which one, I have no idea.

sig.png

It's the one that isn't a CZ :)

Hi, Team Grayguns shooter here. 🙋‍♂️

That gun in the photo is the latest creation from Bruce Gray and his team. It is a P320 with a custom slide, Barsto .40 S&W barrel, and a prototype aluminum grip module that is sized to accept MBX/STI magazines. I got to check it out last week.

I am not sure if it is what Mason ended up competing with this year (I don't think so). That was the plan, but only if it was going to prove to be reliable, and I know he was still quite fresh in testing it. So he may have decided to go with and win for the second time with a custom P320 .40 S&W upper on a Legion lower. 

Either way, it's pretty phenomenal!

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

If they would ever sell any of those creations. I have heard of a lot of interesting things coming out of their shop. Isaac Lockwood shoots with a full size barrel and Slide from what I remember built by Grayguns. I have yet to see any mention of releasing an P320 in 40 similar to what Mason shoots or even the parts to build it. It would be cool to see some of that stuff come to market, but I do not think we ever will at this point. 

I assure you this new Grayguns Limited gun is a top priority for the company. They have been working on it for a couple of years now. But they're a small shop, and they can only do so much. It takes time. But I'm optimistic you'll see production versions of this Limited gun in the next year.

9 hours ago, warpspeed said:

Unless I didn't understand his posts on IG, Mason's gun had an aluminum grip. A Sig of some sort - don't ask me which one, I have no idea.

sig.png

It's the one that isn't a CZ :)

I hope not, else it is going to blow my plastic gun theory out of the water 🤣

9 hours ago, RileyBowman said:

Hi, Team Grayguns shooter here. 🙋‍♂️

That gun in the photo is the latest creation from Bruce Gray and his team. It is a P320 with a custom slide, Barsto .40 S&W barrel, and a prototype aluminum grip module that is sized to accept MBX/STI magazines. I got to check it out last week.

I am not sure if it is what Mason ended up competing with this year (I don't think so). That was the plan, but only if it was going to prove to be reliable, and I know he was still quite fresh in testing it. So he may have decided to go with and win for the second time with a custom P320 .40 S&W upper on a Legion lower. 

Either way, it's pretty phenomenal!

I assure you this new Grayguns Limited gun is a top priority for the company. They have been working on it for a couple of years now. But they're a small shop, and they can only do so much. It takes time. But I'm optimistic you'll see production versions of this Limited gun in the next year.

Any idea on price point?  

17 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Any idea on price point?  

Yeah, but too early to share that info.

37 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

haha, yep, looks like a custom unobtainium limited gun to me. Probably would cost me as much as an atlas.

It will definitely be a fair amount cheaper than an Atlas.

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Wow. I’m on here less and less but I see the topics/questions never change. 

Neither does the answer. Skill. 

You're not wrong. lol

3 minutes ago, RileyBowman said:

You're not wrong. lol

I know I’m not.  

I can tell you from experience from actual matches, it’s skill. 

anyone crying about heavy guns and large price tags or unobtainium or any of that, simply don’t have the skill. Period! 

Edited by B_RAD

Also, Masons gun was actually his CO grip module and he didn’t even put a magwell on it. Not the one in the pic posted above. His upper is a grey guns upper in .40. No magic voodoo. 100% the person pulling the trigger. 

this is like a basic understanding that some people either get to or they don’t. Like other issues in life.  Like a good credit score or saving money, learning a good trade. You know things that normal intelligent people come to understand as they mature.  

skill trumps everything else. If you learn/accept that, you’re at least heading in the right direction. 

Edited by B_RAD

22 minutes ago, RileyBowman said:

It will definitely be a fair amount cheaper than an Atlas.

sure. eventually. but right now it's a one-off custom-made artifact, more exclusive than an atlas by far. 

At any rate, congrats to mason for another great win. The gun thing is mildly interesting, but boils down to skill and personal preference.

17 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Also, Masons gun was actually his CO grip module and he didn’t even put a magwell on it. Not the one in the pic posted above. His upper is a grey guns upper in .40.

That's what I thought as well. I caught some of the live video of him shooting, and it looked like a magwell-less Legion lower. I'm guessing he just didn't have the confidence in the new aluminum one. He only just got it right before Nats, so totally understandable.

6 minutes ago, RileyBowman said:

That's what I thought as well. I caught some of the live video of him shooting, and it looked like a magwell-less Legion lower. I'm guessing he just didn't have the confidence in the new aluminum one. He only just got it right before Nats, so totally understandable.

I know it takes me several thousand rounds to really trust a gun. Especially when we’re taking about Nats!